Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Trojan Virus in "System Volume Information\_restore..." ???????

Trojan Virus in "System Volume Information\_restore..." ???????

Sam Aungst

I picked up a Trojan Horse virus the other day, and was able to remove it
using AVG virus protection. But I keep getting a pop-up that it has been
found in "C:\System Volume Information\_restore..." How do I remove it
from there? Also, is AVG a good enough Anti-virus software? If not what
is?

Any help would be appreciated.

The Prophecy

Sam Aungst wrote:
> I picked up a Trojan Horse virus the other day, and was able to
> remove it using AVG virus protection. But I keep getting a pop-up
> that it has been found in "C:\System Volume Information\_restore..."
> How do I remove it from there? Also, is AVG a good enough Anti-virus
> software? If not what is?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Disable System Restore.

Windows XP:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam

Windows ME:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...rc=sec_doc_nam

Mike

Sam Aungst wrote:
> I picked up a Trojan Horse virus the other day, and was able to remove it
> using AVG virus protection. But I keep getting a pop-up that it has been
> found in "C:\System Volume Information\_restore..." How do I remove it
> from there? Also, is AVG a good enough Anti-virus software? If not what
> is?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Ah! System restore, the well known virus refuge. Turn off system
restore. Scan. Turn on system restore. You will lose all your restore
points but you wouldn't want to restore a virus would you.

AVG is superb.

--

Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
blacklisted.

SkyWriting SkyWriting is offline
Junior Member

The original SVI Trojan was in system restore even though it was shut off. I have turned it off and on again. But the problem is not IN the restore file. That is merely where the files get placed from some other place. They reappear over and over.