Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > XP secure during repair?

Reply
Thread Tools

XP secure during repair?

 
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
XP Home, file system NTFS.

XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I have 4
passworded accounts - is it true that without the password these accounts
are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware repair is there no way
for the technician to access my hardrive and its data beyond the login
screen. No secret admin account or account entrance that is built in or
could they run another OS from the cd drive such as DOS or Linux and access
the drive information that way or another way I have not considered. I ask
this because it just occurs to me how much private and personal information
I have on my hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.


--
Regards


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leythos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
In article <cc479b$o33$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> XP Home, file system NTFS.
>
> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I have 4
> passworded accounts - is it true that without the password these accounts
> are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware repair is there no way
> for the technician to access my hardrive and its data beyond the login
> screen. No secret admin account or account entrance that is built in or
> could they run another OS from the cd drive such as DOS or Linux and access
> the drive information that way or another way I have not considered. I ask
> this because it just occurs to me how much private and personal information
> I have on my hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.


Actually, the password only means that they can't logon as you to that
computer when the OS is running.

If I take your drive and put it in another computer I can take ownership
of all the files and do anything I want with them.

The password is just a means to keep people from connecting directly as
you, anyone that gains access to the drive can do anything they want.

--
--
(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Burp*
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

> XP Home, file system NTFS.
>
> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I
> have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.


There are programs, and ways to extract your passwords and gain access to
your porn.

--
Mhzjunkie

Programmer: alt.os.windows-xp
1 PRINT "Windows XP ERROR"
GOTO 1
END


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
Burp* wrote:
> Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
>
>> XP Home, file system NTFS.
>>
>> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I
>> have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
>> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
>> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
>> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
>> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
>> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
>> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
>> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
>> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

>
> There are programs, and ways to extract your passwords and gain
> access to your porn.


Thanks for quick response but I was genuine. It is not porn that concerns me
so much as notes from my wife and photographs of my children that are very
personal and my own notes and journal and emails and financial details.

--
Regards


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mhzjunkie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

> Burp* wrote:
>> Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
>>
>>> XP Home, file system NTFS.
>>>
>>> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure.
>>> I have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
>>> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
>>> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
>>> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
>>> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
>>> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
>>> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
>>> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
>>> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

>>
>> There are programs, and ways to extract your passwords and gain
>> access to your porn.

>
> Thanks for quick response but I was genuine. It is not porn that
> concerns me so much as notes from my wife and photographs of my
> children that are very personal and my own notes and journal and
> emails and financial details.


pfffft.

--
Mhzjunkie

Programmer: alt.os.windows-xp
1 PRINT "Windows XP ERROR"
GOTO 1
END


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mhzjunkie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
Leythos spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

> In article <cc479b$o33$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> XP Home, file system NTFS.
>>
>> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure.
>> I have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
>> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
>> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
>> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
>> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
>> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
>> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
>> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
>> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

>
> Actually, the password only means that they can't logon as you to that
> computer when the OS is running.
>
> If I take your drive and put it in another computer I can take
> ownership of all the files and do anything I want with them.
>
> The password is just a means to keep people from connecting directly
> as you, anyone that gains access to the drive can do anything they
> want.


Ahh, **** you say ?


--
Mhzjunkie

Programmer: alt.os.windows-xp
1 PRINT "Windows XP ERROR"
GOTO 1
END


 
Reply With Quote
 
Leythos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> > The password is just a means to keep people from connecting directly
> > as you, anyone that gains access to the drive can do anything they
> > want.

>
> Ahh, **** you say ?


If you want to try something really scarry, protect a file so that only
you can access it, then logon as another user, now try and access the
file - you can't (yet), not right click on it, select properties, select
Security (or some order like this) and then advanced and then Ownership
and then take ownership of the file - you can now do anything you want
with it.

--
--
(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
 
Reply With Quote
 
D.Currie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cc47n7$3on$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Burp* wrote:
> > Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
> >
> >> XP Home, file system NTFS.
> >>
> >> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I
> >> have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
> >> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
> >> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
> >> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
> >> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
> >> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
> >> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
> >> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
> >> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

> >
> > There are programs, and ways to extract your passwords and gain
> > access to your porn.

>
> Thanks for quick response but I was genuine. It is not porn that concerns

me
> so much as notes from my wife and photographs of my children that are very
> personal and my own notes and journal and emails and financial details.
>
> --
> Regards
>
>

I repair computers for a living, and I can tell you that I personally don't
care what's on your computer, and I'm not going to spend my working time
reading your documents. I want to do the repair and get the computer off the
bench as quickly as possible.

On the other hand, there aren't a whole lot of computer repairs I'm going to
be able to do without access to at least one administrator account. If I
install hardware, I'm going to have to install drivers and make sure it
works. If it's a software problem, then I'm sure I'm going to have to access
an account, and after that, I need to access the problematic program. So,
yes, if you say you can't read your email, I need access to your email
account, and I'm going to open a couple of emails. But even at that, I try
to avoid actually reading the content. I open them to see that they do open,
then I move on. I don't care what spam you get, or what Aunt Sally's goiter
is up to these days.

Even if it's something like a power supply replacement, it's nice to be able
to get into Windows and make sure nothing else got fried in the meantime.
Otherwise I'm going to get a call that says, "Now my modem doesn't work!" or
something like that.

If you don't give me access to an account, and I need it, either I'm going
to call and ask for the password, or I'm going to get in another way so I
can finish the repair. I'd tell you that I got into the computer, though.
It's not like I'm sneaking around. Most people leave their computers so
unsecured that it's simple to get in without resorting anything fancy.

Of course, the curiousness of the repair folks is going to depend on who
they are. If you take the computer to a shop where there are a dozen teenage
guys who get paid by the hour, they might be interested in what music you
have or what photos. I doubt anyone cares to read your tax documents unless
they know you and want to see if you really can afford that BMW. Otherwise,
it's irrelevant data. "Some guy who brought his computer in made $45 thou
last year!" Unless they know you, who cares?

If you have things that you don't want other people to see, your best bet is
to keep them off of your computer. Put them on CDs or a removable/external
drive. Then you don't need to worry about taking the computer for repairs.
Then you just need to worry about security issues when the computer is in
your house.





 
Reply With Quote
 
Leythos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> If you have things that you don't want other people to see, your best bet is
> to keep them off of your computer. Put them on CDs or a removable/external
> drive.


I always think it's funny when people save things to DVD or CD that they
don't want people to find, and then dispose of them in the common trash
without breaking them - about the same as saying, here I am, see what's
on me

--
--
(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mhzjunkie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
D.Currie spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cc47n7$3on$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Burp* wrote:
>>> Mike spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
>>>
>>>> XP Home, file system NTFS.
>>>>
>>>> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly
>>>> secure. I have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the
>>>> password these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for
>>>> hardware repair is there no way for the technician to access my
>>>> hardrive and its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin
>>>> account or account entrance that is built in or could they run
>>>> another OS from the cd drive such as DOS or Linux and access the
>>>> drive information that way or another way I have not considered. I
>>>> ask this because it just occurs to me how much private and
>>>> personal information I have on my hardrive should it need repair.
>>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> There are programs, and ways to extract your passwords and gain
>>> access to your porn.

>>
>> Thanks for quick response but I was genuine. It is not porn that
>> concerns me so much as notes from my wife and photographs of my
>> children that are very personal and my own notes and journal and
>> emails and financial details.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>

<blah,blah,blah,blah>

Blah, Blah, blah,blah,blah,blah. He asked if anyone could access his files
if he took his computer in for repairs. He didn't want to know what size
shoes you fit, you ****.

--
Mhzjunkie

Programmer: alt.os.windows-xp
1 PRINT "Windows XP ERROR"
GOTO 1
END


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Secure your digital information assets with Secure Auditor. SecureWindows with Secure Auditor alannis.albert@googlemail.com Cisco 0 04-14-2008 06:53 AM
Secure your digital information assets with Secure Auditor SecureWindows with Secure Auditor alannis.albert@googlemail.com Cisco 0 04-14-2008 06:52 AM
Warning during generating classes through WSIMPORT & Error during xmlvalidation traveller Java 0 01-08-2008 07:00 AM
Datagrid not updated during delete, but updated during insert and update Dmitry Korolyov ASP .Net Datagrid Control 0 09-22-2003 10:57 AM



Advertisments