Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Trojans

Trojans

Stephen W. Hiemstra

I recently discovered a number of trojans on an older computer on my
home network where the Norton license had expired. Avast purged these.
I then found several on my primary machine using Norton.

How can I be assured that I got them all? I have had a lot of
performance issues on my network lately.

Stephen

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> I recently discovered a number of trojans on an older computer on my
> home network where the Norton license had expired. Avast purged these.
> I then found several on my primary machine using Norton.
>
> How can I be assured that I got them all? I have had a lot of
> performance issues on my network lately.

What OS are you running?

Most times you can look at the TaskManager and see what is running, but
some Trojans/viruses hide behind other services.

Another method is to look at the registry (warning - working with the
registry can leave your machine inoperable) and see what is contained in
the RUN and RUNONCE folders - most machines only have a few (less than
5) items in the RUN and none in the RUNONCE folder.

As for being sure, there is little I can tell you that would allow you
to be sure that your machine is free of problems.

As an example, having done this for many moons, I spent 2 hours removing
a Trojan "TV Media" from a computer the other night - they didn't want
to format it. None of the normal scanners or AV software could remove it
or detect it. Deleting it from the registry was no use, it would put
itself back right after it was removed. I had to open task manager, stop
EXPLORER and most of the services (it was hiding behind explorer), and
since closing explorer also closes your desktop, I used TaskManager to
open the registry and delete the entries, then used task manager to open
CMD and renamed the directory that it was located in.... What a pain.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

The Prophecy

Stephen W. Hiemstra wrote:
> I recently discovered a number of trojans on an older computer on my
> home network where the Norton license had expired. Avast purged these.
> I then found several on my primary machine using Norton.
>
> How can I be assured that I got them all? I have had a lot of
> performance issues on my network lately.
>
> Stephen

Using these should get rid of 99.9% (if not all) of any trojans/spyware on
your computer.

--
Download, update and use the following:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spyware Blaster
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

Spy Sweeper
http://www.webroot.com

johns

We are using subscription f-secure here. It is catching
this stuff, and is updated hourly. Those guys deserve
a cigar !! I have McAffee 8 at home, and it is pretty
good .. even the social engr stuff is getting a look ..
but my wife opened a malicious email and we got
whacked. I opened the same email on my f-secure
machine, and f-secure whacked it right then because
it was up to date ( 100 megabit lan ). I swear by
disk imaging at home .. combined with a little
daily back up ( copy over ) to my HUGE d-drive.
These bugs don't speak d-drive, and if I get had,
I just reimage overnight ( I'm in bed asleep ),
and all is well. Protecting a home computer is
different than protecting a work machine. It takes
a little common sense, plus it takes realizing that
an ISP is a jerk, and they don't try to defend
their users one bit. Disk imaging is the only
security tool that works. I'm protecting 19 gigs
worth of baby, pet, mother-in-law, and even "me"
pictures .. not to mention lots of home-office
data. We have been hit again and again by
malicious email and websites, and I have been
able to fully recover every single time using
an $18 disk imaging program.

johns

trojans sdowling ASP .Net 1 06-21-2005 06:56 PM
What's Latest Best Protection Against Current Worms, Trojans, Etc for Win98 Mike Computer Support 3 08-23-2003 09:13 PM
Re: eTrust EZ Antivirus and Trojans Barry Vee Computer Support 14 08-05-2003 08:33 AM
Re: eTrust EZ Antivirus and Trojans °Mike° Computer Support 0 08-04-2003 07:11 PM
Re: eTrust EZ Antivirus and Trojans @}-}-------Rosee Computer Support 0 08-04-2003 06:50 PM

Advertisments