Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > "hardware" firewalls

Reply
Thread Tools

"hardware" firewalls

 
 
news
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2004
I canīt find any tests using hacking atempts for "hardware" firewalls. Do
you know if there are any published?

The advantage with using a "hardware" firewall is that it works on a
separated and more secured OS??

Itīs the same thing as placing a 386 with Linux and a software firewall
between internet and the pc you use?

I thought that for outbound threats perhaps an antitrojan or antivirus will
be well enough.

Thanks!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2004
news wrote:
> I canīt find any tests using hacking atempts for "hardware" firewalls. Do
> you know if there are any published?


Visit www.watchguard.com. There is a very good 'showdown' video which
shows some attempts on various hardware firewalls.

>
> The advantage with using a "hardware" firewall is that it works on a
> separated and more secured OS??

Yup, plus the fact that a stupid user is not allowed anywhere near it.

>
> Itīs the same thing as placing a 386 with Linux and a software firewall
> between internet and the pc you use?

Pretty much so. The Watchguards run a hardend *nux OS.

> I thought that for outbound threats perhaps an antitrojan or antivirus will
> be well enough.

Nope.

------------------------------------

Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
blacklisted.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
news
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2004

"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:cbpngf$lg7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> news wrote:
> > I canīt find any tests using hacking atempts for "hardware" firewalls.

Do
> > you know if there are any published?

>
> Visit www.watchguard.com. There is a very good 'showdown' video which
> shows some attempts on various hardware firewalls.
>
> >
> > The advantage with using a "hardware" firewall is that it works on a
> > separated and more secured OS??

> Yup, plus the fact that a stupid user is not allowed anywhere near it.
>
> >
> > Itīs the same thing as placing a 386 with Linux and a software firewall
> > between internet and the pc you use?

> Pretty much so. The Watchguards run a hardend *nux OS.
>
> > I thought that for outbound threats perhaps an antitrojan or antivirus

will
> > be well enough.

> Nope.




Thanks!

Why donīt you think some malware protection is enough for outbound
communication? How about system monitoring like Process guard?





 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-30-2004
news wrote:
> Why donīt you think some malware protection is enough for outbound
> communication? How about system monitoring like Process guard?
>


Because software running on a machine can be compromised. I cant count
the number of times I seen AV software bypassed and trojan detection
software completely miss trojans.

Social engineering plays a big part. All one needs to do is send a
correctly crafted email that tells the user to do something and they
will turn off their protection just to read that 'Joke' or get the 'fr33
p0rn' or the latest Kylie CD.

Can't actually recall the last time a hardware firewall did any of that.

--

------------------------------------

Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
blacklisted.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sharing files and printers and firewalls =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIC4gUg==?= Wireless Networking 1 03-07-2005 06:42 PM
firewalls and wireless =?Utf-8?B?a2luZw==?= Wireless Networking 1 08-03-2004 09:38 PM
H.323 Proxy/Gatekeepers and Firewalls Matthew Melbourne Cisco 0 01-21-2004 11:37 PM
firewall placement and choice of firewalls Joe Dewberry Cisco 0 12-09-2003 05:39 PM
Can HSRP on Cisco Routers successfully interface with VRRP on Nokia Firewalls? james Cisco 1 10-29-2003 10:01 PM



Advertisments