Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > PC Lock Program

PC Lock Program

Mr Wizzo

We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
installed with products connected for customers to try. The pc has an
internet connection and may have sensative information stored. Is there a
program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

*Vanguard*

Mr Wizzo said in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
> installed with products connected for customers to try. The pc has an
> internet connection and may have sensative information stored. Is
> there a program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie
> request a password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would
> be appreciated

Sounds like you want to run a kiosk.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...sk+%2Bsoftware

Hairy One Kenobi

"Mr Wizzo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
> installed with products connected for customers to try. The pc has an
> internet connection and may have sensative information stored. Is there a
> program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
> password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Is the sensitive data and Internet connection required by the customer?

If (as I suspect) the answer is "no", you need to then ask yourself whether
the data is worth to cost of a second PC.

With USB "pen" drives, it may be quite easy for someone to add or remove
what they like, even when you think you've got your eye on them. Speaking
personally, for a couple of hundred quid, I wouldn't take the risk.

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Martin

Mr Wizzo wrote:

> We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
> installed with products connected for customers to try.

sounds like a potentially good feature

>The pc has an
> internet connection and may have sensative information stored.

if you don't know, then get that PC offline and get a new one with just
the information on you don't mind the whole world seeing. It's not that
expensive.

>Is there a
> program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
> password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

A second PC would be easier and more secure. Probably cheaper too

Mr Wizzo

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbfiek$c57$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mr Wizzo wrote:
>
> > We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
> > installed with products connected for customers to try.

> sounds like a potentially good feature
>
> >The pc has an
> > internet connection and may have sensative information stored.

> if you don't know, then get that PC offline and get a new one with just
> the information on you don't mind the whole world seeing. It's not that
> expensive.
>
> >Is there a
> > program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
> > password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be

appreciated

> A second PC would be easier and more secure. Probably cheaper too

Thanks for the suggestions, the problem with a second PC is that we simply
dont want people trying the stuff in our store and then searching the web
for the best prices. But there may also be price lists etc stored on there.
I could just disconnect the pc from the network when were not using it but
that would be a pain because the tower is in a locked cabinet.

Bill Unruh

"Mr Wizzo" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

]"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
]news:cbfiek$c57$(E-Mail Removed)...
]> Mr Wizzo wrote:
]>
[...]

? But they can always do that-- unless you hold them up at gunpoint at the door and
demand that they buy whatever they tried. (You try it , you buy it)
If you are worried that the will use the same computer they tried it on to
search the web, then that second computer with no internet connection would
exactly solve that problem. The second computer is ONLY for customers
trying stuff.
]I could just disconnect the pc from the network when were not using it but
]that would be a pain because the tower is in a locked cabinet.

Just use a second computer that they try the stuff on and never have it
connected to the web.

jo

Mr Wizzo wrote:

>We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
>installed with products connected for customers to try. The pc has an
>internet connection and may have sensative information stored. Is there a
>program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
>password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

There are loads of software solutions to your problem. Which might be
best for you depends on the level of security you are looking for, and
your operating system.

You could p/w protect individual executables with, eg , Privateexe:

http://www.winsite.com/tech/sysutil/page25.html

PC Restrictor is interesting for a W9* system:

http://www.winsite.com/tech/sysutil/page25.html

I would suggest you look at ChildProof first. this is a nice app that
replaces the desktop with a restricted one that has its own toolbar
from which allowed apps can be launched. There are not many p/w
options on it, but what casual user is going to find
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+(letter)?

http://www.anycities.com/user1/sonofspy/Security1.html

You could set this to run as a screensaver, and launch it with a hot
key...

JT

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:02:35 +0100, "Mr Wizzo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:cbfiek$c57$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mr Wizzo wrote:
>>
>> > We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
>> > installed with products connected for customers to try.

>> sounds like a potentially good feature
>>
>> >The pc has an
>> > internet connection and may have sensative information stored.

>> if you don't know, then get that PC offline and get a new one with just
>> the information on you don't mind the whole world seeing. It's not that
>> expensive.
>>
>> >Is there a
>> > program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
>> > password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be

>appreciated
>>
>> A second PC would be easier and more secure. Probably cheaper too

>Thanks for the suggestions, the problem with a second PC is that we simply
>dont want people trying the stuff in our store and then searching the web
>for the best prices. But there may also be price lists etc stored on there.
>I could just disconnect the pc from the network when were not using it but
>that would be a pain because the tower is in a locked cabinet.

First off, you will never keep people from searching the web for a better
price. You can keep them from doing it in the store, but they can still
(and will) search when they leave.

You should not have any sensitive information, including price lists, on a
machine your customers use. Obviously, they will ge able to get to the
information unless you do a tremendous amount of work. Also consider what
happens to all that valuable, sensitive information when they wreck the
machine. You will have customers that can break anything, even if not
intentionally. Doesn't matter if the PC is locked in a vault.

Don't have the machine connected to your work network. Isolate it and its
internet connection. Especially important with XP Home (and Pro by default)
using "simplified" networking and security.

JT

Code Dark

Mr Wizzo wrote:
> We are a small independant retail store and have just had a computer
> installed with products connected for customers to try. The pc has an
> internet connection and may have sensative information stored. Is there a
> program we can get that would allow us to control the PC ie request a
> password to start IE or Outlook etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Well, I'd just simply do Winkey + L and not let the public do anything.
It's much more secure that way.

- CD