Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 3640 EOL

3640 EOL

Bill F

After recommending a 3640 I've learned it was actually EOL late last
year or early this year and as a consequence I'd like to know the
ramifications of this.

I've looked at this document,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080107b23.html

....the most important aspect in mind, being sw support.

"End of software maintenance releases

The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software
maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering
will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.

November 2005, or the final maintenance release of IOS 12.4 mainline,
whichever comes first"

Anyone have an idea when 12.4 may come into existence and in general how
this limitation will affect the customers ability to get IOS support for
new features in the future? What's the worst case scenario in terms the
obsoleteness of this box?

Is there some place on the cisco site where I can see the chronology
(not just the version tree diagrams) of the IOS?

Thanks

Rob

12.3 is being worked on right now and I don't use half those features
on my 2600 and 3640's. I'm sure 12.4 will have many more cool
features that some of us won't use.

I wouldn't worry about it. There are people out there running 11.1
code just fine. 12.4 on a 3640, assuming you don't need any new
interfaces, should last you several years. It already includes IPv6.

What do you do with your 3640?

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:41:22 GMT, Bill F <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>After recommending a 3640 I've learned it was actually EOL late last
>year or early this year and as a consequence I'd like to know the
>ramifications of this.
>
>I've looked at this document,
>
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080107b23.html
>
>...the most important aspect in mind, being sw support.
>
>"End of software maintenance releases
>
>The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software
>maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering
>will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.
>
>November 2005, or the final maintenance release of IOS 12.4 mainline,
>whichever comes first"
>
>Anyone have an idea when 12.4 may come into existence and in general how
>this limitation will affect the customers ability to get IOS support for
>new features in the future? What's the worst case scenario in terms the
>obsoleteness of this box?
>
>Is there some place on the cisco site where I can see the chronology
>(not just the version tree diagrams) of the IOS?
>
>Thanks

Bill F

It will terminate 2 t1's on a multilink interface for data only at this
point. Date currently includes large binaries being transferred over a
pt-pt connection from their isp's colo. In the future they will also
terminate 3 ipsec tunnels just for vpnclient traffic and will eventually
use this as their primary internet gateway as well.
They have a 2621 and even w/o the tunnels or additional internet
browsing the cpu was hitting 50% several times an hour. That concerned
me. I figured doubling the cpu horsepower, from 50 to 100 MHz would make
sense. I also mentioned adding an AIM-VPN card, but, since the
vpnclient traffic is light, I am told, that wasn't as compelling. They
had a 2650 on hand as well which is 80MHz, but, I told them they should
probably get the fastest thing they could afford and the 3640 seemed to
me the next step up and the cheapest step up.

The point you raised about future sw and new interfaces occurred to me
to. It seems like new features more often relate to new platforms or
interfaces with new functionality like vox + data interfaces, etc.,
right? And yes the IPv6 thing is probalby the singly biggest "feature"
for data applicaiton anyway, correct?

I also tracked this document down which was illumnating and made it
clear that the 11/2005 deadline will precede the end of 12.4.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801a1349.html

Rob wrote:
> 12.3 is being worked on right now and I don't use half those features
> on my 2600 and 3640's. I'm sure 12.4 will have many more cool
> features that some of us won't use.
>
> I wouldn't worry about it. There are people out there running 11.1
> code just fine. 12.4 on a 3640, assuming you don't need any new
> interfaces, should last you several years. It already includes IPv6.
>
> What do you do with your 3640?
>

> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:41:22 GMT, Bill F <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>After recommending a 3640 I've learned it was actually EOL late last
>>year or early this year and as a consequence I'd like to know the
>>ramifications of this.
>>
>>I've looked at this document,
>>
>>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080107b23.html
>>
>>...the most important aspect in mind, being sw support.
>>
>>"End of software maintenance releases
>>
>>The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software
>>maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering
>>will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.
>>
>>November 2005, or the final maintenance release of IOS 12.4 mainline,
>>whichever comes first"
>>
>>Anyone have an idea when 12.4 may come into existence and in general how
>>this limitation will affect the customers ability to get IOS support for
>>new features in the future? What's the worst case scenario in terms the
>>obsoleteness of this box?
>>
>>Is there some place on the cisco site where I can see the chronology
>>(not just the version tree diagrams) of the IOS?
>>
>>Thanks

Rob

If you must get something "new", how about a 2651XM, 2691 or 3725?

Now, if they only want DES/3DES, a 3640 is fine. If they will need
AES in hardware, the old AIM-VPN/MP doesn't support that.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:55:04 GMT, Bill F <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>>I've looked at this document,
>>>
>>>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080107b23.html
>>>
>>>...the most important aspect in mind, being sw support.
>>>
>>>"End of software maintenance releases
>>>
>>>The last date that Cisco Engineering may release any final software
>>>maintenance releases or bug fixes. After this date, Cisco Engineering
>>>will no longer develop, repair, maintain, or test the product software.
>>>
>>>November 2005, or the final maintenance release of IOS 12.4 mainline,
>>>whichever comes first"
>>>
>>>Anyone have an idea when 12.4 may come into existence and in general how
>>>this limitation will affect the customers ability to get IOS support for
>>>new features in the future? What's the worst case scenario in terms the
>>>obsoleteness of this box?
>>>
>>>Is there some place on the cisco site where I can see the chronology
>>>(not just the version tree diagrams) of the IOS?

Eclipse: Stripping whitespace at EOL Tim Tyler Java 7 09-15-2011 04:07 PM
replacing EOL with <br> Daves ASP .Net 1 04-13-2005 11:40 PM
EOL - scanning single-quoted string Ajay Python 0 08-04-2004 01:20 PM
replacing two EOL chars by one Xah Lee Python 20 12-22-2003 09:17 PM
3640 EOL Issues Bill F Cisco 0 11-27-2003 11:39 PM

Advertisments