Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > laptop security

laptop security

Allen Anderson

I want to put sensitive files on my laptop that I need to have while I
travel. However, I want to do my due dilligence to make sure I do
whatever I can to make sure that the laptop and all the files on it
are innaccessable if the laptop gets stolen or lost. What are my
options for encyprtion? I would prefer whole OS encryption instead of
just specific files as I don't want to 'forget' to encrypt a file and
have it accessable for some reason.

Jim Watt

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:20:51 -0600, Allen Anderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to put sensitive files on my laptop that I need to have while I
>travel. However, I want to do my due dilligence to make sure I do
>whatever I can to make sure that the laptop and all the files on it
>are innaccessable if the laptop gets stolen or lost. What are my
>options for encyprtion? I would prefer whole OS encryption instead of
>just specific files as I don't want to 'forget' to encrypt a file and
>have it accessable for some reason.

If its an IBM laptop all you need do is set a hard disk password
if its not, leave it in a public place, wait for it to be stolen,
claim on the insurance and buy an IBM next time.

You could also look at this group on Google as the subject
of disk encryption is a frequent one discussed in detail.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Stephen Howard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to put sensitive files on my laptop that I need to have while I
>travel. However, I want to do my due dilligence to make sure I do
>whatever I can to make sure that the laptop and all the files on it
>are innaccessable if the laptop gets stolen or lost. What are my
>options for encyprtion? I would prefer whole OS encryption instead of
>just specific files as I don't want to 'forget' to encrypt a file and
>have it accessable for some reason.

Have a look at Marcus Hahn's Blowfish Advanced CS ( freeware, widely
available ).

Among its many options is a 'work with' option - which allows you to
view and edit a file, re-encrypting it when closed.

It also has a batch file capability, and it wouldn't take too much
effort to knock up a script/batch file that can be linked to your OS
shutdown routine - ensuring you don't leave unencrypted data lying
about.

Other than that, encrypted virtual disks is the way to go - though I
don't know what the performance hit would be.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

John

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:20:51 -0600, Allen Anderson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I want to put sensitive files on my laptop that I need to have while I
>>travel. However, I want to do my due dilligence to make sure I do
>>whatever I can to make sure that the laptop and all the files on it
>>are innaccessable if the laptop gets stolen or lost. What are my
>>options for encyprtion? I would prefer whole OS encryption instead of
>>just specific files as I don't want to 'forget' to encrypt a file and
>>have it accessable for some reason.

> If its an IBM laptop all you need do is set a hard disk password
> if its not, leave it in a public place, wait for it to be stolen,
> claim on the insurance and buy an IBM next time.

And add SafeGuard Easy to it.

Groetjes
John

Jim Watt

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:05:49 +0200, John
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Jim Watt wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:20:51 -0600, Allen Anderson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I want to put sensitive files on my laptop that I need to have while I
>>>travel. However, I want to do my due dilligence to make sure I do
>>>whatever I can to make sure that the laptop and all the files on it
>>>are innaccessable if the laptop gets stolen or lost. What are my
>>>options for encyprtion? I would prefer whole OS encryption instead of
>>>just specific files as I don't want to 'forget' to encrypt a file and
>>>have it accessable for some reason.

>> If its an IBM laptop all you need do is set a hard disk password
>> if its not, leave it in a public place, wait for it to be stolen,
>> claim on the insurance and buy an IBM next time.
>>

>And add SafeGuard Easy to it.

Why ?

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Martin

Allen Anderson wrote:

> I want to put sensitive files on my laptop that I need to have while I
> travel. However, I want to do my due dilligence to make sure I do
> whatever I can to make sure that the laptop and all the files on it
> are innaccessable if the laptop gets stolen or lost. What are my
> options for encyprtion? I would prefer whole OS encryption instead of
> just specific files as I don't want to 'forget' to encrypt a file and
> have it accessable for some reason.

You haven't told us who are you trying to hide data from. What kind of data.

Is it intellegence services? Casual robbers? what?
Company data? Secret porn stash? Child porn? Political propoganda?

Hard to give advice unless we (TINW) know the target.

Allen Anderson

Company secrets and data mostly that I have to work with as well as
contacts.

It is information that a foreign government would potentially want to
access, so the encryption needs to be very strong. Performance really
isn't important as long as its secure.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:57:45 +0000 (UTC), Martin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Allen Anderson wrote:
>
>> I want to put sensitive files on my laptop that I need to have while I
>> travel. However, I want to do my due dilligence to make sure I do
>> whatever I can to make sure that the laptop and all the files on it
>> are innaccessable if the laptop gets stolen or lost. What are my
>> options for encyprtion? I would prefer whole OS encryption instead of
>> just specific files as I don't want to 'forget' to encrypt a file and
>> have it accessable for some reason.
>>

>You haven't told us who are you trying to hide data from. What kind of data.
>
>Is it intellegence services? Casual robbers? what?
>Company data? Secret porn stash? Child porn? Political propoganda?
>
>Hard to give advice unless we (TINW) know the target.

Allen Anderson

I will check out the blowfish advanced stuff. thanks

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:29:20 +0100, Stephen Howard
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:20:51 -0600, Allen Anderson
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I want to put sensitive files on my laptop that I need to have while I
>>travel. However, I want to do my due dilligence to make sure I do
>>whatever I can to make sure that the laptop and all the files on it
>>are innaccessable if the laptop gets stolen or lost. What are my
>>options for encyprtion? I would prefer whole OS encryption instead of
>>just specific files as I don't want to 'forget' to encrypt a file and
>>have it accessable for some reason.

>Have a look at Marcus Hahn's Blowfish Advanced CS ( freeware, widely
>available ).
>
>Among its many options is a 'work with' option - which allows you to
>view and edit a file, re-encrypting it when closed.
>
>It also has a batch file capability, and it wouldn't take too much
>effort to knock up a script/batch file that can be linked to your OS
>shutdown routine - ensuring you don't leave unencrypted data lying
>about.
>
>Other than that, encrypted virtual disks is the way to go - though I
>don't know what the performance hit would be.
>
>Regards,

Roger Merriman

Allen Anderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Company secrets and data mostly that I have to work with as well as
> contacts.
>
> It is information that a foreign government would potentially want to
> access, so the encryption needs to be very strong. Performance really
> isn't important as long as its secure.

probably worth having a look at some of the open source disk encription,
i use a encripted disk image known as 'data vault" in mac speak which is
suposed to fairly hard to crack it doesn't apear to have slowed the disk
down at all, which is good. so i'd have a look for some of the options
for encrpting the data be that the files or the disk its' self. probably
the most useful thing to rember is to use a good password that will not
be supectablte to dictorary attacks or the hassel of encripting the data
is worthless.
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 21:57:45 +0000 (UTC), Martin
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

snips.

Roger
--
usr is wodger

John

Jim Watt wrote:
>>>If its an IBM laptop all you need do is set a hard disk password
>>>if its not, leave it in a public place, wait for it to be stolen,
>>>claim on the insurance and buy an IBM next time.
>>>

>>And add SafeGuard Easy to it.

> Why ?

eg. http://www.computacenter.com/beLux/n...leases/ibm.asp

John