Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Secure Tunnel Question

Secure Tunnel Question

Greg

How secure is Secure Tunnel, can an ISP read my files when I send before it
reaches secure tunnels servers.I read in the info they supply but not quite
sure how its made secure before it reaches them to be forwarded.I think
communication is all sent down one pipe through my ISP.Can someone explain the
process and is this a gimmick or is it good.

Hope its not too much of a daft question

Greg

Michael Sherman

It is good. It is encrypted, the strength of the encryption will be
based on what both endpoints are running. Regular linux box and ssh
client will run low encryption probably using sha1/hmac. But it is
encrypted and your ISP would not see it. Unless they spent the cycles
capturing the packets and trying to decrypt ...which would take a
long, long while.

On 9 Jun 2004 03:32:56 -0500, Greg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How secure is Secure Tunnel, can an ISP read my files when I send before it
>reaches secure tunnels servers.I read in the info they supply but not quite
>sure how its made secure before it reaches them to be forwarded.I think
>communication is all sent down one pipe through my ISP.Can someone explain the
>process and is this a gimmick or is it good.
>
>Hope its not too much of a daft question
>
>Greg

>http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
>---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Greg

Thanks for your reply, have to say I am impressed with it so far using stunnel
alongside newsfeeds.

Thanks
Greg