Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom

Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom

Bottom Line Computer

Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom

http://perens.com/Articles/OSD.html What is open source exactly?
It's software that is free for some uses, which can be distributed
freely, and which can be studied or modified by the users.

Where does it come from? In the early days, open source software was
written by programmers who were dissatisfied with the commercial
software that was available, so they decided to write their own.
Having done so, they decided to make their work freely available so that
others could enjoy the benefits of their work. Most often, these
programmers worked in university computer science departments, and had
the funds and the free time to create great software such as the
http://www.bsd.org BSD suite of Internet software, which is the basis
for almost all of the Intenret today. Even Microsoft has used BSD code
in their operating systems.
More recently, large corporations such as IBM have become involved in
open source, on the theory that if the software is freely available and
of high quality, then that will help sell more computers.

Is it really free? It depends. If you just want it for personal use,
then it's free. If you want ot use it for comemrcial purposes, or of you
want tech support from the vendor, then you may have to pay money, but it
will still be far less expensive than comparable commercial software.

Is it shareware? Not exactly. Because the source code is freely available,
it's much more trustworthy than shareware. Thousands of programmers across
the world have checked it for bugs.

Is it high quality? The major open source products are very high quality,
comparable with expensive commercial software.

Is it just for programmers? No. It's especially useful if you're a
programmer, because if you don't like how it works, you can change it to
work the way you want to. But even if you're not a programmer, you can still
benefit from the high quality of open source software.

Is it hard to use? On the average, no harder than commercial software of
comparable quality.

Can I get support? Yes. There are many options. You can hire a support
company, such as Bottom Line Computer, to give you tech support. Or, in most
cases, you can buy a support license from the distributor of the aoftware.

Is it compatible? Open source software is far more likely to be compatible
with open stadnards for file formats and netwrok protocols than commercial
software will be. commercial vendors use proprietary formats and protocols to
try to force you to keep using their software, and paying their license fees,
once you've started using it. This is called vendor lockin and it's one reason
commercial software licenses are so expensive. It gives the vendor a local
monopoly over you computer. Your data is held hostage. Open source frees you
from that.

Also, many open source products work with "industry standard" proprietary
formats such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and with protocols such as Microsoft
file sharing (SMB/CIFS).

Do you have to commit to a new operating system? No, you don't. You can run
whatever version of Windows you like, and open source software will run on it.
In fact, it will probably run better. Open source software is often much more
efficient than commercial software, and uses less resources. Switching to open
source can save you the expense of upgrading your old computer.

<hr>

Some open source software that runs on Windows...

http://www.abiword.org/ AbiWord - a word processor that reads and writes
Word documents.

http://www.openoffice.org/ OpenOffice - a free, open source substitute for
Microsoft Word. Supports Word, Excel and PowerPoint formats. Uses less system
resources than Office.

http://www.mozilla.org/ Mozilla - a Web browser with better security than
Internet Explorer, built-in popup blocking and tabbed browsing.

http://www.blender.org/ Blender - a 3D modelling and animation program.
Used to be commercial software.

http://dev.mysql.com/ MySQL - a relational database engine suitable for
medium-sized projects.

http://httpd.apache.org/ Apache - the predominant Web server on the Internet.

http://techsupp.blcss.com/#opensource Home link

Southern New Hampshire residents: don't throw away that old broken computer.
Call us first: 603-244-1652. We'll fix it cheap, or take it off your hands.

..

Leythos

> Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom

Please stop spamming the groups with your ADVERTISEMENT.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Rowland

Leythos wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>

>>Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom
>>

>Please stop spamming the groups with your ADVERTISEMENT.

Well, excuse me, I thought it was perfectly on topic. Perhaps you
should try to get over yourself.

--
Spammers' real email addresses: (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)

Southeastern NH residents:
Don't throw out that broken computer yet! Call 603-244-1652
Check out my Java, SQL and Python samples at http://rowland.blcss.com/

For sale: Unique and energy efficient hobbit home in New Hampshire:
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/rowland/mm.index.html

127.0.0.1

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:23:06 -0400, Rowland
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Leythos wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>

>>>Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom
>>>

>>Please stop spamming the groups with your ADVERTISEMENT.
>>

>Well, excuse me, I thought it was perfectly on topic. Perhaps you
>should try to get over yourself.

it looks like you thought wrong, try playing in the comp. newsgroups

Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,

Jim Watt

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, excuse me, I thought it was perfectly on topic.

Not in alt.computer security.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Leythos wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >

> >>Open source on Windows - a gentle introduction to freedom
> >>

> >Please stop spamming the groups with your ADVERTISEMENT.
> >

> Well, excuse me, I thought it was perfectly on topic. Perhaps you
> should try to get over yourself.

Your information, part of it, is on-topic for the most part, but the
ending part is just a blatant advertisement and as such it's outside the
charter for some of the groups you spammed it to.

Most of what you posted has nothing to do with security, which makes it
look like you posted something so that you could claim that your sig was
not an advertisement (which appears to be the sole basis for you post).

I let it slide the first time you did it, but thought I might mention it
this time.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Rowland

I'll grant it shouldn't have gone to nh.forsale. That was an error on
my part. But I think the content has obvious implications for computer
security.

--
Spammers' real email addresses: (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)

Southeastern NH residents:
Don't throw out that broken computer yet! Call 603-244-1652
Check out my Java, SQL and Python samples at http://rowland.blcss.com/

For sale: Unique and energy efficient hobbit home in New Hampshire:
http://www.angelfire.com/ego/rowland/mm.index.html

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I'll grant it shouldn't have gone to nh.forsale. That was an error on
> my part. But I think the content has obvious implications for computer
> security.

How do you see security implications in talking about using open-source
products vs non-open-source products?

I think the content was more about options available to users and what
those options are - I didn't really see anything that stood out about
security.

One thing you might want to know, the Windows platform can be secured
for use by common users.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Hairy One Kenobi

"Rowland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll grant it shouldn't have gone to nh.forsale. That was an error on
> my part. But I think the content has obvious implications for computer
> security.

So obvious that the subject didn't even get a mention?

(Cough) Troll (cough)

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

John D. Adamson

You both should take this off line as the rest of us really
don't want to follow your not being able to play nice.

You have a nice day now, John