Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Phishing through MS Notworking?

Reply
Thread Tools

Phishing through MS Notworking?

 
 
Hairy One Kenobi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2004
As received using the Messanger ("net send") service (formatting may be a
bit off - I've reassembled from Ethereal)

"Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-043
Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Could Allow Code Execution (828035)

Affected Software:
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Win98
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Non Affected Software:
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

Your system is affected, download the patch from the address below !
FIRST TYPE THE ADDRESS BELOW INTO YOUR INTERNET BROWSER, THEN CLICK 'OK'
THE ADDRESS WILL DISAPPEAR ONCE YOU HIT 'OK'

www.windowspatch.info"

Is this relatively new (this particular phishing technique, that is - not
the spamming), or have I been lucky thus far?

--

Hairy One Kenobi

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion
in the first place. So there!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kyle2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2004
Hello,

Microsoft do not charge for security updates. To see who is behind the
scam/fraud (which it is) have a look at who the following are registered
to -

www.windowspatch.info and
www.securesoft.org

The usual messages look like Microsoft pages in an email and direct people
to sites where they can download a virus or do nasty things to the computer.

Always ignore emails about updates, use the UPDATE feature in Windows
itself. That is MUCH safer. It is amazing what some people will do to get
credit card numbers, such as the above people involved with the scam/fraud.


"Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
news:k7Dwc.57$(E-Mail Removed)...
> As received using the Messanger ("net send") service (formatting may be a
> bit off - I've reassembled from Ethereal)
>




---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.698 / Virus Database: 455 - Release Date: 02/06/2004


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Martin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2004

"Kyle2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mHDwc.46$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Microsoft do not charge for security updates. To see who is behind the
> scam/fraud (which it is) have a look at who the following are registered
> to -
>
> www.windowspatch.info and
> www.securesoft.org
>
> The usual messages look like Microsoft pages in an email and direct people
> to sites where they can download a virus or do nasty things to the

computer.
>
> Always ignore emails about updates, use the UPDATE feature in Windows
> itself. That is MUCH safer. It is amazing what some people will do to

get
> credit card numbers, such as the above people involved with the

scam/fraud.

I've just emailled them asking for their registered business address,
business no. and VAT no. so I can raise a PO to purchase their s/w. I'll
post back.

They claim to be required to charge VAT at 17.5%. This only applies if the
business is registered within the EU and the client is in the EU. Then VAT
is charged at the VAT rate applicable in the country of business
registration. They price in dollars, their domain name is registered with a
USA address, then they try and charge VAT on top of their scam

>
>
> "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> news:k7Dwc.57$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > As received using the Messanger ("net send") service (formatting may be

a
> > bit off - I've reassembled from Ethereal)
> >

>
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.698 / Virus Database: 455 - Release Date: 02/06/2004
>
>



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. AVG
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.699 / Virus Database: 456 - Release Date: 04/06/2004


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Watt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2004
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:03:35 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>They claim to be required to charge VAT at 17.5%. This only applies if the
>business is registered within the EU and the client is in the EU. Then VAT
>is charged at


Its not that simple these days.

However, if they are talking about VAT and 17.5% then that sounds
very British.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2004

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:03:35 +0000 (UTC), "Martin"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >They claim to be required to charge VAT at 17.5%. This only applies if

the
> >business is registered within the EU and the client is in the EU. Then

VAT
> >is charged at

>
> Its not that simple these days.


hmmm ok. In both business and personal life I have never paid VAT for a
company outside the EEC, and have paid VAT at various rates for those
inside. The question will really be, can they provide a VAT number to
off-charge the government against.

I'll post the reply. Should they reply.

$20 for a "how to turn off a process" sounds a little expensive.
>
> However, if they are talking about VAT and 17.5% then that sounds
> very British.


It does.

So why charge in USD and why have a domain with all the accounts registered
in the US
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. AVG
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.699 / Virus Database: 456 - Release Date: 04/06/2004


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Netcraft anti-phishing Toolbar Stubby Firefox 4 06-07-2005 06:14 PM
Major Phishing Hole Found In IE and OE Jay Calvert Firefox 5 02-18-2005 03:30 AM
Firefox Phishing vulnerability Tony Raven Firefox 1 01-07-2005 06:41 PM
Phishing with Firefox! Reg Mouatt Firefox 0 11-03-2004 09:22 AM
OT: Phishing Quiz catwalker63 MCSE 6 08-03-2004 06:01 AM



Advertisments