Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Secure browsing

Secure browsing

Alt Thomy

Hello. I am sorry if I should post in another group but I am not sure.

As we all do, I occasionaly use secure sites (https://....) in my browser.
What I want to know is if it is possible eg. for the administrators of my
ISP (or the admin of my proxy or VPN server if I use one), to see my
username/passwords. Or the whole 'tunnel' is secure until the end (ie. the
destination site)?

Thank you

Anonymous

"Alt Thomy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c9peqg$mb3$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello. I am sorry if I should post in another group but I am not sure.
>
> As we all do, I occasionaly use secure sites (https://....) in my
> browser. What I want to know is if it is possible eg. for the
> administrators of my ISP (or the admin of my proxy or VPN server if I
> use one), to see my username/passwords. Or the whole 'tunnel' is
> secure until the end (ie. the destination site)?
>
> Thank you

Hi
If using SSL (https protocol) encryption, it is not possible for anyone
intercepting/sniffing packets to determine the passwords/usernames, however
you should ensure you use a strong algorithm with a minimum keylength of
128bits as a determined cracker with enough processing power and time on
his hands could decrypt the code if you use weak algorithm, or a keylength
under 128 bits.

Plompetta

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Alt Thomy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c9peqg$mb3$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hello. I am sorry if I should post in another group but I am not sure.
> >
> > As we all do, I occasionaly use secure sites (https://....) in my
> > browser. What I want to know is if it is possible eg. for the
> > administrators of my ISP (or the admin of my proxy or VPN server if I
> > use one), to see my username/passwords. Or the whole 'tunnel' is
> > secure until the end (ie. the destination site)?
> >
> > Thank you
> >

> Hi
> If using SSL (https protocol) encryption, it is not possible for anyone
> intercepting/sniffing packets to determine the passwords/usernames,

however
> you should ensure you use a strong algorithm with a minimum keylength of
> 128bits as a determined cracker with enough processing power and time on
> his hands could decrypt the code if you use weak algorithm, or a keylength
> under 128 bits.

I take it that it is commonly considered that SSL 128 bits is unbreakable?

And I assume the way it works is that the client (me) has the SSL software
on his computer (say through IE), and so everything going from my computer
down the phone line, through my ISP, to the server (which has SSL) is
encrypted.