Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Locking to an application

Locking to an application

Bertie

Is it possible to lock my pc so that only a single application can be used?
Ie. so I can leave it on while my friends are in my room but they can only
use Windows Media Player and thats it?

Cheers

Leythos

> Is it possible to lock my pc so that only a single application can be used?
> Ie. so I can leave it on while my friends are in my room but they can only
> use Windows Media Player and thats it?

You can set media player to play a group of songs, then lock the console
and password it, then you can leave.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Bertie

Yeah, but I want them to have the ability to change the songs - is this
possible?

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Is it possible to lock my pc so that only a single application can be

used?
> > Ie. so I can leave it on while my friends are in my room but they can

only
> > use Windows Media Player and thats it?

> You can set media player to play a group of songs, then lock the console
> and password it, then you can leave.

> (E-Mail Removed)
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Rasta Robert

On Thu, 27 May 2004 at 09:01 GMT, Bertie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yeah, but I want them to have the ability to change the songs - is this
> possible?

You could try setting mediaplayer as the shell.

RR--//->
--
<http://rr.www.cistron.nl/> -!- <http://www.rr.dds.nl/>

johns

Yes, if you are running W2k or XP. Read up on using
gpedit.msc, and then go start - run - type gpedit.msc
Go down to User Config .. Admin Templates,
and look carefully through all those options. Under
System, there is an option: Run Only allowed Win Apps.
Enable it, and add the exe of the program that you
will allow to run. NOW !!!!! I HAVE NEVER DONE
THIS ONE I highly recommend ... ?? ... uhh ... well
..... I don't know if doing that will totally shut you out
or what. Messing with gpedit can do that too !!!!
But if it does not shut you out, from running gpedit
again, then just put an icon on another user desktop
for the program that you will allow, and log out of
your account, and into the "friends" account. Just for
safety, maybe also include gpedit.msc in your allow
list. Hooha! Nothing like taking a chance. Good luck.
Oh yes. When you come back just disable the "allow
list" in gpedit. Note: with a little experience, there is
probably a less "brute force" way to do this, but I
doubt it. I'm not kidding about the dangers of gpedit.
READ FIRST

johns