Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Newbie -- how to make a broadband safe and secure???

Newbie -- how to make a broadband safe and secure???

Melanie C.

I have a cable modem, I had to reinstall windows and I did not install
any virus software before I went to do a Google search, ugggghhh!!!

I guess I have a Hijacker or something. I ran Norton virus scan but
they remain there. I also now have Mcafee's firewall...

Does anyone know of a combonation package or program that will keep
everything safe, take all this crap and bots away, maybe a pop up
blocker, spam blocker and something to make Only the programs that
SHOULD be running, run?? Hmmm, maybe I am asking for to much?

Chuck

On 21 May 2004 05:27:59 -0700, *email_address_deleted* (Melanie C.) wrote:

>I have a cable modem, I had to reinstall windows and I did not install
>any virus software before I went to do a Google search, ugggghhh!!!
>
>I guess I have a Hijacker or something. I ran Norton virus scan but
>they remain there. I also now have Mcafee's firewall...
>
>Does anyone know of a combonation package or program that will keep
>everything safe, take all this crap and bots away, maybe a pop up
>blocker, spam blocker and something to make Only the programs that
>SHOULD be running, run?? Hmmm, maybe I am asking for to much?

Melanie,

There is no all inclusive comprehensive package that will protect you from all
the bad **** that hits the internet constantly. You'll need to create your own.

Try these free online virus scans, to verify the results from your installed
protection:
<http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php>
<http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm>
<http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>

Now check for, and learn to defend against, additional carriers of infection.
Have you downloaded these programs before? Download them again, as many are
revised frequently, to keep up with the current level of malware being attempted
constantly - get the absolutely most current version of each product listed.
They're all free - and most pretty small, so they download quickly enough.

First, download LSP-Fix and WinsockXPFIx from <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>,
and CWShredder from <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html>. All are
free.

Next, close all Internet Explorer and Outlook windows, then run CWShredder.
Have it fix all variants.

Now check for, and remove, spyware. Get HijackThis
<http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155> and Spybot S&D
<http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download>. Both free.
1) Install and run Spybot. First update it ("Search for updates"), then run a
scan ("Check for problems"). Trust Spybot, and make all recommended deletions.
2) Install and run HijackThis. Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
HJT Log.
3) Have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the following
forums (and post it here):
<http://forums.net-integration.net/>
<http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/>
<http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>
<http://www.wilderssecurity.com/>

If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some
spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your
network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.

Finally, improve your chances for the future.

Harden your browser. There are various websites which will check for
vulnerabilities, here are three which I use.
http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
https://testzone.secunia.com/browser_checker/

Harden your operating system. Check at least monthly for security updates.
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. Three Hosts file sources I
use:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
(The third is included, and updated, with Spybot (see above)).

Maintain your Hosts file with:
eDexter <http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html>
Hostess <http://accs-net.com/hostess/>

Secure your operating system, and applications. Don't use, or leave activated,
any accounts with names or passwords with trivial (guessable) values. Don't use
an account with administrative authority, except when you're intentionally doing
administrative tasks.

Use common sense. Yours. Don't install software based upon advice from unknown
sources. Don't install free software, without researching it carefully. Don't
open email unless you know who it's from, and how and why it was sent.

Educate yourself. Know what the risks are. Stay informed. Read Usenet, and
various web pages that discuss security problems. Check the logs from the other
components regularly, look for things that don't belong, and take action when
necessary.

And finally, Melanie, please don't contribute to the success of email address
mining viruses. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a
bit safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
internet - never post your address unmunged.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck

Bit Twister

On 21 May 2004 05:27:59 -0700, Melanie C. wrote:
> I have a cable modem, I had to reinstall windows and I did not install
> any virus software before I went to do a Google search, ugggghhh!!!

You may want to print instructions from here after reading,
disconnect from modem, format and reinstall, use printed instructions
to hardern your box, install firewall, connect modem, get windows
update.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php (last line in page)