Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > How secure are you

How secure are you

Ionizer

"Tracker" <"snail(valid)mail222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Let's all go to our C: Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory, but you need to
> enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden Files. If you
> don't know how to perform this function then this will tell many others
> what your skill level is and that is important to hackers to know this.

What's YOUR skill level like in the simple act of adjusting your clock
settings? Minimal, apparently, so here's how to do it:

1. Double click the time in the lower right corner of the system tray.
2. In the dialog box that pops up select the *Time Zone* tab.
3. Use the drop down menu to select the correct entry for "your" TIME
ZONE.
Check "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes
4. Also, Check the box marked Daylight Savings Time.
5. Then click OK to save it.

~Further information at the site below.~
http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html

Hope that helps,
Ian.

patrick Lottier

Le Fri, 21 May 2004 08:30:24 -0700, Tracker a écrit*:

> Let's all go to our C: Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory, but you need to
> enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden Files. If you
> don’t know how to perform this function then this will tell many others
> what your skill level is and that is important to hackers to know this.
>
> Tracker

Easier: install Linux...it's virusproof !

Malev

On Fri, 21 May 2004 01:57:54 -0400, "Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Tracker" <"snail(valid)mail222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<tracker troll shite>

>What's YOUR skill level like in the simple act of adjusting your clock
>settings? Minimal, apparently, so here's how to do it:

Don't feed the troll

ParrotRob

"patrick Lottier" <ranar@lea.3dfree.org> wrote in message
newsan.2004.05.21.06.33.24.876670@lea.3dfree.org ...
> Le Fri, 21 May 2004 08:30:24 -0700, Tracker a écrit :
>
> > Let's all go to our C: Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory, but you need to
> > enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden Files. If you
> > don’t know how to perform this function then this will tell many others
> > what your skill level is and that is important to hackers to know this.
> >
> > Tracker

> Easier: install Linux...it's virusproof !

Please tell me you're kidding and that this was a tongue-in-cheek comment
poking a little fun at linuxheads?

Fred Garvin

On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:30:24 -0700, Tracker wrote:

> Let's all go to our C: Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory, but you need to
> enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden Files. If you
> don’t know how to perform this function then this will tell many others
> what your skill level is and that is important to hackers to know this.
>
> Tracker

Nahhhh, I'll just keep using my Linux machine thanks.

Enjoy your Windows "experience"!

NOTICE

USENET POST WARNING
===================
The User by the name "Tracker" aka "Debbie", aka VPNSISHACKERSSECRET,
aka "snailmail", aka "mailbox", aka "hackingsecureit" regularly
posts incorrect, misleading, and damaging information. To rely
on the advice of this person could result in irreparable damage to
your system. You are advised not to listen to anything that this person
posts, and certainly to not attempt or believe anything this person
advises. The following link provides additional information:

http://www.sand-n-sea.us/debbiesdrival.htm (sic)

GENERAL COMPUTER HEALTH WARNING
===============================

Any advice from a poster using the identity "Tracker" may contain
dangerous nonsense and should be immediately deleted from your
computer.

Do NOT contact this person by email!

Do NOT feed the Trolls, one warning is enough, further messages
only reinforce the desire for attention that provides motivation.

Visit the fan club at:
http://www.sand-n-sea.us/debbiesdrival.htm (sic)

PROPER REACTION TO FUTURE POSTS
===============================

The first person identifying any additional post from the above mentioned
individual should post this message. This should alert
any newbie not familiar with this subject, as to the proper reaction to
her drivel (sic).

CONTENTS OF THIS POST
=====================

Please note that the URL provided above is correct as spelled. The
website name is spelled as chosen by its creator, who is not the poster of
this advice.

NOTICE

USENET POST WARNING
===================
[...]

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tracker <"snail(valid)
mail222000"@yahoo.com> says...
> Let's all go to our C: Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory, but you need to
> enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden Files. If you
> don?t know how to perform this function then this will tell many others
> what your skill level is and that is important to hackers to know this.

Here is your chance to show your skill Debbie:

I opened Explorer, selected C drive, clicked on the [+] next to the
windows folder, it expanded the folder:

I have checked "Display the contents of system folders", "Show hidden
files and folders", and I unchecked "Hide protected operating system
files".

In looking at the C:\Windows folder I have no light colored files or
folders.

I have used this station for more than a year and have about 40GB worth
of development tools installed on it, not to mention more than 70GB of
data for projects.

So, oh Wizard of BS, tell me how my computer is susceptible to hackers -
one hint - you can't!

(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Tracker

On Fri, 21 May 2004 06:33:38 -0400, ParrotRob wrote:

> "patrick Lottier" <ranar@lea.3dfree.org> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.05.21.06.33.24.876670@lea.3dfree.org ...
>> Le Fri, 21 May 2004 08:30:24 -0700, Tracker a écrit :
>>
>> > Let's all go to our C: Windows Directory after we have made all of our
>> > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
>> > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
>> > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory, but you need to
>> > enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden Files. If you
>> > don’t know how to perform this function then this will tell many others
>> > what your skill level is and that is important to hackers to know this.
>> >
>> > Tracker

>> Easier: install Linux...it's virusproof !

> Please tell me you're kidding and that this was a tongue-in-cheek comment
> poking a little fun at linuxheads?

No, he's right. Basically.

Windows sucks donkey ass. But you already know that deep down inside.