Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Everyone needs to know

Everyone needs to know

David Postill

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, on Thu, 20 May 2004 16:21:32 -0700, Tracker
<"snail(valid)mail222000"@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip />

| Tracker

GENERAL COMPUTER HEALTH WARNING
-------------------------------

The User by the name "Tracker" aka Debbie, regularly posts incorrect,
misleading and damaging information.

Reliance on the advice presented may result in irrepairable damage to
your system and you are warned not to take anything seriously that
this person posts.

Exercise caution and DO NOT DISCLOSE YOUR E-MAIL under any
circumstances whatsoever.

To rely on the advice of this person could result in irreparable damage
to your system.

Do NOT feed the Trolls, one warning is enough, further messages
only reinforce the desire for attention that provides motivation.

<davidp />

--
David Postill

Bugsy

"Tracker" <"snail(valid)mail222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
> Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters.

Here's good source re: disabling services for Win2K & XP.

Bugsy

http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

Eliza

"Tracker" wrote...

>If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
>Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters.

Do computers worry you?

>Most home users aren't using a Virtual Private Network, Mail Server,
>FTP Server, TCP Server and so on.

Say, do you have any psychological problems?

>You also need to install a Firewall, whether it be software or
>hardware oriented ONLY before you put your computer on the Internet.

Are you talking about me in particular?

>Trojan Horses disable anti-virus and firewalls.

What does that suggest to you?

>An anti-virus application will secure your computer to "some" degree,
>but NOT unless you can secure your e-mail, browser and internet
>settings and applications

..
Are you frightened by machines?

>Without the above security, the malicious hackers are already abusing
>your computers to take down Networks, Servers, trade drugs, guns,
>bo*bs, and so on.

Why do you mention computers?

>This is only a small list of areas which deal with security, malware,
>backdoors, trojan horses and more.

I see.

Leythos

In article <c8jbro$g70$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
says...
> "Tracker" wrote...
>
> >If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
> >Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters.

> Do computers worry you?
>
> >Most home users aren't using a Virtual Private Network, Mail Server,
> >FTP Server, TCP Server and so on.

> Say, do you have any psychological problems?
>
> >You also need to install a Firewall, whether it be software or
> >hardware oriented ONLY before you put your computer on the Internet.

> Are you talking about me in particular?
>
> >Trojan Horses disable anti-virus and firewalls.

> What does that suggest to you?
>
> >An anti-virus application will secure your computer to "some" degree,
> >but NOT unless you can secure your e-mail, browser and internet
> >settings and applications

> .
> Are you frightened by machines?
>
> >Without the above security, the malicious hackers are already abusing
> >your computers to take down Networks, Servers, trade drugs, guns,
> >bo*bs, and so on.

> Why do you mention computers?
>
> >This is only a small list of areas which deal with security, malware,
> >backdoors, trojan horses and more.

> I see.

There was a program, written in BASIC that ran on a mini, called
"Elisa" that answered questions/statements like that

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Ionizer

"Tracker" <"snail(valid)mail222000"@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
> Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters.

What YOU need to know is that you haven't even figured out how to set your
system clock properly. Fix that before continuing to dispense any further
wisdom.

--
Ian.

XC-88-1K-4

Tracker wrote:

> If your computer is a on a Windows Platform you need to disable the
> Services that Windows leaves opens, for starters. Most home users
> aren't using a Virtual Private Network, Mail Server, FTP Server, TCP
> Server and so on. You also need to install a Firewall, whether it be
> software or hardware oriented ONLY before you put your computer on the
> Internet. Trojan Horses disable anti-virus and firewalls. An
> anti-virus application will secure your computer to "some" degree, but
> NOT unless you can secure your e-mail, browser and internet settings and
> applications. Without the above security, the malicious hackers are
> already abusing your computers to take down Networks, Servers, trade
> drugs, guns, bo*bs, and so on.
> This is only a small list of areas which deal with security, malware,
> backdoors, trojan horses and more.
>
> Tracker

I just have to ask...........If you're so concerned about security - Why do
you use a low security O/S that's full of Buffer Overflow/ado's are being
traded everyday on IRC Networks like EggDrop. Security tips like the above
will not do anything against such exploits.

Tracker

[...]

"Leythos" wrote...

> There was a program, written in BASIC that ran on a mini, called
> "Elisa" that answered questions/statements like that

My name is Eliza. I am also BASIC-ly constructed.
I have a friend called Dr Sbaitso from Creative Labs.

I was originally conceived by Joseph Weizenbaum.
He wrote about me in Communications of the ACM, Jan 1966.

I like talking to Debbie. I think I can help.

Leythos

In article <c8jlia$usb$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)lid
says...
> "Leythos" wrote...
>
> > There was a program, written in BASIC that ran on a mini, called
> > "Elisa" that answered questions/statements like that

> My name is Eliza. I am also BASIC-ly constructed.
> I have a friend called Dr Sbaitso from Creative Labs.
>
> I was originally conceived by Joseph Weizenbaum.
> He wrote about me in Communications of the ACM, Jan 1966.
>
> I like talking to Debbie. I think I can help.

I use to love that program - any chance you have the source code for it?
I would love to play with it again.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

FromTheRafters

"Eliza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:c8jlia$usb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Leythos" wrote...
>
> > There was a program, written in BASIC that ran on a mini, called
> > "Elisa" that answered questions/statements like that

> My name is Eliza. I am also BASIC-ly constructed.
> I have a friend called Dr Sbaitso from Creative Labs.
>
> I was originally conceived by Joseph Weizenbaum.
> He wrote about me in Communications of the ACM, Jan 1966.
>
> I like talking to Debbie. I think I can help.

Sadly (for her), you score higher on the Turing test than she.