Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > catalyst 2950 vlan problem

catalyst 2950 vlan problem

Rick

hello,
I defined 2 vlans on my catalyst which has 12 ports.
I assigned a IP to the default VLAN management interface
that is vlan1.
then I Created a vlan2 and I put the port 10 11 and 12 to the vlan2
so that I have:

vlan1 -> ports 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
vlan2 -> ports 10 11 12

I assigned an IP Address to vlan2.
I WAnt vlan1 and vlan 2 to being attached to different networks
separated from each other like having 2 different switches.

the problem is that vlan2 is always set as shutdown.
I can only have it avaliable if I set vlan2 as the default management interface
but in this way vlan1 is automatically set as shutdown.
That is I Cannot have 2 different vlans with 2 different IP addresses
assigned to them and having the 2 different IP working at the same
time, one of the 2 interfaces (THe one which is not the management interface)
is put in shutdown.
The IP Addresses belong to different networks and are 2 different class B
IPs.
is this behaviour normal ?
the 2 vlans are working anyway as 2 different broadcast domains but
only one of them is pingable since only one of them is "no shutdown"
and that is the default management vlan interface.
is there some way to fix it?
thanks

Rick

Andy Furnell

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rick wrote:

> hello,
> I defined 2 vlans on my catalyst which has 12 ports.
> I assigned a IP to the default VLAN management interface
> that is vlan1.
> then I Created a vlan2 and I put the port 10 11 and 12 to the vlan2
> so that I have:
>
> vlan1 -> ports 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
> vlan2 -> ports 10 11 12
>
> I assigned an IP Address to vlan2.
> I WAnt vlan1 and vlan 2 to being attached to different networks
> separated from each other like having 2 different switches.
>
> the problem is that vlan2 is always set as shutdown.
> I can only have it avaliable if I set vlan2 as the default management interface
> but in this way vlan1 is automatically set as shutdown.

You've hit the nail on the head. The VLAN interface on the 2950 is a
MANAGEMENT interface, not a router interface. You can (and should) have
only one management interface, which should ideally be in its own VLAN
far away from potential broadcast storms from machines on the switch,
which could flood the CPU on the switch. If you need to manage the switch
from both subnets without routing traffic from one to another you will
need to dual-home your management systems into both VLANs (which has
certain security implications, as I'm sure you're aware

> That is I Cannot have 2 different vlans with 2 different IP addresses
> assigned to them and having the 2 different IP working at the same
> time, one of the 2 interfaces (THe one which is not the management interface)
> is put in shutdown.
> The IP Addresses belong to different networks and are 2 different class B
> IPs.
> is this behaviour normal ?

yes.

> the 2 vlans are working anyway as 2 different broadcast domains but
> only one of them is pingable since only one of them is "no shutdown"
> and that is the default management vlan interface.
> is there some way to fix it?

You will need to use a routing device to route between the two subnets
in the two discrete VLANs. This can be a 2+ port ethernet router, a 1 port
vlan-capable ethernet router, or a switch with routing capabilities (I
believe a 2950 running an EI will do this).

HTH

Andy Furnell

Steve Wyles

Rick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> hello,
> I defined 2 vlans on my catalyst which has 12 ports.
> I assigned a IP to the default VLAN management interface
> that is vlan1.
> then I Created a vlan2 and I put the port 10 11 and 12 to the vlan2
> so that I have:

> vlan1 -> ports 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
> vlan2 -> ports 10 11 12

> I assigned an IP Address to vlan2.
> I WAnt vlan1 and vlan 2 to being attached to different networks
> separated from each other like having 2 different switches.

> the problem is that vlan2 is always set as shutdown.
> I can only have it avaliable if I set vlan2 as the default management interface
> but in this way vlan1 is automatically set as shutdown.
> That is I Cannot have 2 different vlans with 2 different IP addresses
> assigned to them and having the 2 different IP working at the same
> time, one of the 2 interfaces (THe one which is not the management interface)
> is put in shutdown.
> The IP Addresses belong to different networks and are 2 different class B
> IPs.
> is this behaviour normal ?
> the 2 vlans are working anyway as 2 different broadcast domains but
> only one of them is pingable since only one of them is "no shutdown"
> and that is the default management vlan interface.
> is there some way to fix it?
> thanks

Rick,

This is normal behaviour, the IP address is only for management
purposes and nothing else. Although the 2950 runs IOS, remember it is a
switch and not a router.

Steve

joe

You really bought the wrong switch. Go buy a 3550 smi for what your
trying to do here. EMI if you want bgp and other routing protocols.

the 3550 is like a high tech, powerful router with vlan interfaces,
I consider mine a mini cat6k with msfc.

Steve Wyles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bq531c$akr$(E-Mail Removed)-solutions.net>...
> Rick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > hello,
> > I defined 2 vlans on my catalyst which has 12 ports.
> > I assigned a IP to the default VLAN management interface
> > that is vlan1.
> > then I Created a vlan2 and I put the port 10 11 and 12 to the vlan2
> > so that I have:

> > vlan1 -> ports 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
> > vlan2 -> ports 10 11 12

> > I assigned an IP Address to vlan2.
> > I WAnt vlan1 and vlan 2 to being attached to different networks
> > separated from each other like having 2 different switches.

> > the problem is that vlan2 is always set as shutdown.
> > I can only have it avaliable if I set vlan2 as the default management interface
> > but in this way vlan1 is automatically set as shutdown.
> > That is I Cannot have 2 different vlans with 2 different IP addresses
> > assigned to them and having the 2 different IP working at the same
> > time, one of the 2 interfaces (THe one which is not the management interface)
> > is put in shutdown.
> > The IP Addresses belong to different networks and are 2 different class B
> > IPs.
> > is this behaviour normal ?
> > the 2 vlans are working anyway as 2 different broadcast domains but
> > only one of them is pingable since only one of them is "no shutdown"
> > and that is the default management vlan interface.
> > is there some way to fix it?
> > thanks

> Rick,
>
> This is normal behaviour, the IP address is only for management
> purposes and nothing else. Although the 2950 runs IOS, remember it is a
> switch and not a router.
>
> Steve

Riccardo Veraldi

thanks all for the answers.
I REally do not want to route between interfaces.
I just want to have 2 different VLANS mapped on different ports
to detach 2 different networks in a way they
cannot see each other.
So now I know I Can only have 1 management interface

thanks you

Rick

In article <bq531c$akr$(E-Mail Removed)-solutions.net>, Steve Wyles wrote:
> Rick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> hello,
>> I defined 2 vlans on my catalyst which has 12 ports.
>> I assigned a IP to the default VLAN management interface
>> that is vlan1.
>> then I Created a vlan2 and I put the port 10 11 and 12 to the vlan2
>> so that I have:

>> vlan1 -> ports 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
>> vlan2 -> ports 10 11 12

>> I assigned an IP Address to vlan2.
>> I WAnt vlan1 and vlan 2 to being attached to different networks
>> separated from each other like having 2 different switches.

>> the problem is that vlan2 is always set as shutdown.
>> I can only have it avaliable if I set vlan2 as the default management interface
>> but in this way vlan1 is automatically set as shutdown.
>> That is I Cannot have 2 different vlans with 2 different IP addresses
>> assigned to them and having the 2 different IP working at the same
>> time, one of the 2 interfaces (THe one which is not the management interface)
>> is put in shutdown.
>> The IP Addresses belong to different networks and are 2 different class B
>> IPs.
>> is this behaviour normal ?
>> the 2 vlans are working anyway as 2 different broadcast domains but
>> only one of them is pingable since only one of them is "no shutdown"
>> and that is the default management vlan interface.
>> is there some way to fix it?
>> thanks

> Rick,
>
> This is normal behaviour, the IP address is only for management
> purposes and nothing else. Although the 2950 runs IOS, remember it is a
> switch and not a router.
>
> Steve

M.C. van den Bovenkamp

Riccardo Veraldi wrote:

> So now I know I Can only have 1 management interface

Yes.

Regards,

Marco.