Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > A Few Questions On Security And IP

A Few Questions On Security And IP

xdj

i was just wondering if i have a system with a firewall, anti virus,
spyware(remover of course) and a trojan remover, and they all come back
clean, is it still able for someone to breach my security?

do i need to have malicous files already on my computer to be hacked, or
can someone just get in anyways. and if i have malicous files does it
matter if they are exucted or just sit, to do harm?

also with hiding my ip, what would you recommend for software?

i have Anonymity 4 Proxy, Steganos Internet Anonym Pro, Proxomitron

just looking for a fast anonymizer if it is possible, plus will i be able
to post to newsgroups anonymously.

thanks for any help.

Stephen K. Gielda

In article <Xns94DFC6B6AC45Exdj@64.59.144.76>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> i was just wondering if i have a system with a firewall, anti virus,
> spyware(remover of course) and a trojan remover, and they all come back
> clean, is it still able for someone to breach my security?

Nothing connected is 100% secure.

> do i need to have malicous files already on my computer to be hacked, or
> can someone just get in anyways.

If an unpatched or unknown vulnerability exists they may be able to get
in anyway.

> and if i have malicous files does it
> matter if they are exucted or just sit, to do harm?

Malicious files would have to be executed in some way.

> also with hiding my ip, what would you recommend for software?
>
> i have Anonymity 4 Proxy, Steganos Internet Anonym Pro, Proxomitron

Those are good products.

> just looking for a fast anonymizer if it is possible, plus will i be able
> to post to newsgroups anonymously.

Check out JAP and remailers for free solutions. Or if you want it all
in an easy to use service check out some of the pay services.

/steve
--
Protect yourself on-line. Hide your identifying details in e-mail,
usenet, and more. A privacy service like no other.

msparrow

xdj wrote:
> i was just wondering if i have a system with a firewall, anti virus,
> spyware(remover of course) and a trojan remover, and they all come back
> clean, is it still able for someone to breach my security?

--> You're safe. People don't usually dick around with hacking a
windows box. There's no real security to be breached. Only other step
to take would be to unplug your modem.

> do i need to have malicous files already on my computer to be hacked, or
> can someone just get in anyways. and if i have malicous files does it
> matter if they are exucted or just sit, to do harm?

--> No, if you have a service running and opening a port, you can be
"hacked" (re: sasser worm). However, it's unlikely a person in specific
will choose you unless you're running some specific software that's
easily compromised. As for files that are "malicious" -- ie. Sub7, you
have to execute them before they can do anything. Otherwise you're good.

> also with hiding my ip, what would you recommend for software?
>
> i have Anonymity 4 Proxy, Steganos Internet Anonym Pro, Proxomitron
>
> just looking for a fast anonymizer if it is possible, plus will i be able
> to post to newsgroups anonymously.

-->Proxies really aren't worthwhile in my opinion. You aren't going to
be the target of any major attacks. Proxies imo are primarily for
overseas persons. Stick with what you have and you're more than good.

> thanks for any help.

-->Not a problem

hackingsecureit

Only if you installed the firewall before your computer went online are you
safe from hackers. If you installed it after your computer was online then
your not secure at all. Don't forget you have to learn how to secure your
Windows Platform, you browser and e-mail applications also for starters.

Tracker
tired of messing around with ISP after ISP to keep you hackers in-line

msparrow wrote:

> xdj wrote:
> > i was just wondering if i have a system with a firewall, anti virus,
> > spyware(remover of course) and a trojan remover, and they all come back
> > clean, is it still able for someone to breach my security?

> --> You're safe. People don't usually dick around with hacking a
> windows box. There's no real security to be breached. Only other step
> to take would be to unplug your modem.
>
> > do i need to have malicous files already on my computer to be hacked, or
> > can someone just get in anyways. and if i have malicous files does it
> > matter if they are exucted or just sit, to do harm?

> --> No, if you have a service running and opening a port, you can be
> "hacked" (re: sasser worm). However, it's unlikely a person in specific
> will choose you unless you're running some specific software that's
> easily compromised. As for files that are "malicious" -- ie. Sub7, you
> have to execute them before they can do anything. Otherwise you're good.
>
> > also with hiding my ip, what would you recommend for software?
> >
> > i have Anonymity 4 Proxy, Steganos Internet Anonym Pro, Proxomitron
> >
> > just looking for a fast anonymizer if it is possible, plus will i be able
> > to post to newsgroups anonymously.

> -->Proxies really aren't worthwhile in my opinion. You aren't going to
> be the target of any major attacks. Proxies imo are primarily for
> overseas persons. Stick with what you have and you're more than good.
>

> > thanks for any help.

> -->Not a problem

WARNING

USENET POST WARNING
====================
The User by the name "Tracker" aka "Debbie", aka VPNSISHACKERSSECRET, aka
"snailmail", regularly posts incorrect, misleading and damaging information.
To rely on the advice of this person could result in irreparable damage to
your system. You are advised not to listen to anything that this person
posts, and certainly to not attempt or believe anything this person
advises. The following link provides additional information:

http://www.sand-n-sea.us/debbiesdrival.htm

GENERAL COMPUTER HEALTH WARNING

Any advice from a poster using the word 'tracker' may contain
dangerous nonsense and should be immediately deleted from your
computer.

Do NOT contact this person by email

Do NOT feed the Trolls, one warning is enough, further messages
only reinforce the desire for attention that provides motivation.

Visit the fan club at:
http://www.sand-n-sea.us/debbiesdrival.htm