Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > HELP PLEASE!!!

HELP PLEASE!!!

Adam

Hi, I just got Zone Alarm 4.5 for Xp Home. Every so often it comes up and
says that "the firewall has blocked internet access to your computer
(netBIOS Name) from -IP ADDRESS- (UDP Port ****) What should I do? It means
my firewall is working but I find it alarming that People are constantly
trying to access my machine. What should I do?

zz

Adam wrote:
> Hi, I just got Zone Alarm 4.5 for Xp Home. Every so often it comes up and
> says that "the firewall has blocked internet access to your computer
> (netBIOS Name) from -IP ADDRESS- (UDP Port ****) What should I do? It means
> my firewall is working but I find it alarming that People are constantly
> trying to access my machine. What should I do?

Since you have the Pro version you can see the Hacker ID and see where
they are located and contact their ISP if you want to, they probably
have an infected machine and do not know it. You will get tired of
clueless people who allow their system to get infected so you will
eventually give up on reporting them. I turn off the alerts and just
look at the log now and then.

g-w

Micheal Robert Zium

Adam wrote:

>Hi, I just got Zone Alarm 4.5 for Xp Home. Every so often it comes up and
>says that "the firewall has blocked internet access to your computer
>(netBIOS Name) from -IP ADDRESS- (UDP Port ****) What should I do? It means
>my firewall is working but I find it alarming that People are constantly
>trying to access my machine. What should I do?

Quit reading your logs.

\Crash\ Dummy

>It means
>my firewall is working but I find it alarming that People are constantly
>trying to access my machine. What should I do?

Smile. Be happy. Turn off the alarms that disturb your serenity. They tell you
nothing and only serve as self promoting propaganda for ZoneAlarm.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

Billy K

I like that response... I tend to agree...

""Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >It means
> >my firewall is working but I find it alarming that People are constantly
> >trying to access my machine. What should I do?

> Smile. Be happy. Turn off the alarms that disturb your serenity. They tell

you
> nothing and only serve as self promoting propaganda for ZoneAlarm.
> --
> Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
> (E-Mail Removed)?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
> http://lists.gpick.com

Stephen K. Gielda

In article <HsPlc.2964$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hi, I just got Zone Alarm 4.5 for Xp Home. Every so often it comes up and
> says that "the firewall has blocked internet access to your computer
> (netBIOS Name) from -IP ADDRESS- (UDP Port ****) What should I do? It means
> my firewall is working but I find it alarming that People are constantly
> trying to access my machine. What should I do?

As others have pointed out, shut off the alerts. Worms, viruses, subnet
scans and loads of other things that will generate alerts are very
prevalent on the net. There is no need to be concerned with them when
you are taking the proper precautions to protect yourself. Worrying
about what mailicious activity is getting blocked is a waste of time,
worry about what isn't getting blocked and just make sure you stay up to
date on patches, virus defs, etc. even though you have a firewall.

/steve
--
Protect yourself on-line. Hide your identifying details in e-mail,
usenet, and more. A privacy service like no other.