Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Malware for Overnet software?

Malware for Overnet software?

Scivener

I installed Overnet 0.53 and then I installed a crack. Yes, I
know, I am a bad boy, it all serves me right!

Since then I have removed the crack because I discivered that the
free version of Overnet only has some adverts (which I can live
with).

I am concerned that the crack may have been malware and may have
messed things up on my system. I got the crack from eDonkey
Overnet section on this page http://www.cracks.am/cracks/e3.html.
It was a DLL called adremover.dll (17 KB or 17,408 bytes) which I
put into Overnet's Plugins folder. I got it from that web page
using the entries for either:

"CRACK.CD-eDonkey_v0.53_-Overnet_v0.53_Registration_Patch.zip"
"eDonkey_v0.53_-_Overnet_v0.53.zip"

Does anyone know if this DLL is malware?

I took the file out but I am not sure if the Overnet ads are back
or not. All I can see on the Overnet screen is a border about one
inch high across the top with light gray lettering on a blue
background. Is this the annoying advert which people are referring
to? Or should there be more ads? If so then has this
'adremover.dll' messed things up permenantly?

null@zilch.com

On Sun, 02 May 2004 12:58:37 GMT, Scivener <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "CRACK.CD-eDonkey_v0.53_-Overnet_v0.53_Registration_Patch.zip"
> "eDonkey_v0.53_-_Overnet_v0.53.zip"
>
>Does anyone know if this DLL is malware?

What does a scan by several good av scanners tell you?

Art
http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

Darkhorse

"Scivener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> I installed Overnet 0.53 and then I installed a crack. Yes, I
> know, I am a bad boy, it all serves me right!
>
> Since then I have removed the crack because I discivered that the
> free version of Overnet only has some adverts (which I can live
> with).
>
> I am concerned that the crack may have been malware and may have
> messed things up on my system.

The myth that most cracks/patches are malware is false, some are but most are
not (unless you download them from Kazaa).

As with any file downloaded, scan it with 2 or 3 good virus/trojan scanners.

news-text.dsl.pipex.com

"Darkhorse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c72vqd$h58o2$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Scivener" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> > I installed Overnet 0.53 and then I installed a crack. Yes, I
> > know, I am a bad boy, it all serves me right!
> >
> > Since then I have removed the crack because I discivered that the
> > free version of Overnet only has some adverts (which I can live
> > with).
> >
> > I am concerned that the crack may have been malware and may have
> > messed things up on my system.

> The myth that most cracks/patches are malware is false, some are but most

are
> not (unless you download them from Kazaa).
>
> As with any file downloaded, scan it with 2 or 3 good virus/trojan

scanners.

You are really anti Kazaa aren't you. What's up? Did someone block you from
using the programme because you shared rubbish?

On average Kazaa works at least as well as any of the others, and doesn't
grab so much processor time as many of the others.

All sharing networks have their share of false files shared by idiots who do
it in an attempt to stop file sharing. Kazaa has no more than any of the
others. Kazaa does have more users that any of the others meaning you have a
better chance of finding the rare file you want.

For the above reasons I share using the Kazaa lite.

A.W.