Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > New to Broadband

New to Broadband

Pam

We have just connected to Broadband and are looking for information on
keeping the system secure. Zone Alarm has been mentioned. Does anyone have
any negative comments on Zone Alarm or is there another program that is
considered better.

Kerodo

says...
> We have just connected to Broadband and are looking for information on
> keeping the system secure. Zone Alarm has been mentioned. Does anyone have
> any negative comments on Zone Alarm or is there another program that is
> considered better.

Sygate is also good, perhaps even a little better..

http://sygate.com/

--
Kerodo

Robin T Cox

"Pam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> We have just connected to Broadband and are looking for information on
> keeping the system secure. Zone Alarm has been mentioned. Does anyone
> have any negative comments on Zone Alarm or is there another program
> that is considered better.

Zone Alarm is an excellent personal firewall for home use. For comparison
with others, see:
http://www.firewallguide.com/

For general help on security, see also:
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html

Tiger_289

On Sat, 01 May 2004 10:39:36 +0800, Pam wrote:

> We have just connected to Broadband and are looking for information on
> keeping the system secure. Zone Alarm has been mentioned. Does anyone have
> any negative comments on Zone Alarm or is there another program that is
> considered better.

I'd also use a router or switch, preferably with
a built-in firewall, but at least with NAT (Network Address Translation).
That device will help protect you from worms, and protect you from a
potential Witty-like worm that attacks a flaw in the software firewall.

The protection is well worth it even if you only have one computer.

billh

"Pam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have just connected to Broadband and are looking for information on
> keeping the system secure. Zone Alarm has been mentioned. Does anyone have
> any negative comments on Zone Alarm or is there another program that is
> considered better.

I like Sygate. Get a 4 port router even if you only have one machine now (a
single port router's cost is not much cheaper if any). The router's NAT will
protect you from inbound stuff so it is a double defense against attacks and
you can disable the PC's firewall for testing without worrying about being
hacked at that moment. The router also makes it very easy to share the
network connection with other PCs you might have.

Billh

Chuck

On Sat, 1 May 2004 10:39:36 +0800, "Pam" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>We have just connected to Broadband and are looking for information on
>keeping the system secure. Zone Alarm has been mentioned. Does anyone have
>any negative comments on Zone Alarm or is there another program that is
>considered better.

Pam,

As the other posters have indicated, either Sygate or Zone Alarm are good
choices for a personal firewall.

But a personal firewall does not replace a good layered defense. Each layer is
necessary because no layer produces complete protection.

The first layer is a NAT router (hardware firewall). If you have broadband
internet, or PPP-compatible dialup internet, you can and should use a hardware
firewall. You can buy one for a price of less than 2 months broadband service.

The second layer is a software firewall (like Sygate or Zone Alarm), or a port
monitor like Port Explorer (free) from
<http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/index.php?page=home>. See various
discussions in comp.security.firewall for good advice on choosing a firewall.

The third layer is good software. This layer has multiple components.

AntiVirus protection. Realtime, plus a regularly scheduled virus scan.
Regularly updated.

Adware / spyware protection. Realtime, plus a regularly run adware / spyware
scan. Regularly updated.
Complete instructions, using Spybot S&D and HijackThis (both free) are here:
<http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5187>.

Harden your browser. There are various websites which will check for
vulnerabilities, here are three which I use.
http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
https://testzone.secunia.com/browser_checker/

Harden your operating system. Check at least monthly.
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. Three Hosts file sources I
use:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
(The third is included, and updated, with Spybot (see above)).

Maintain your Hosts file with:
eDexter <http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html>
Hostess <http://accs-net.com/hostess/>

Secure your operating system, and applications. Don't use, or leave activated,
any accounts with names or passwords with trivial (guessable) values. Don't use
an account with administrative authority, except when you're intentionally doing
administrative tasks.

The fourth layer is common sense. Yours. Don't install software based upon
advice from unknown sources. Don't install free software, without researching
it carefully. Don't open email unless you know who it's from, and how and why
it was sent.

The fifth layer is education. Know what the risks are. Stay informed. Read
Usenet, and various web pages that discuss security problems. Check the logs
from the other layers regularly, look for things that don't belong, and take
action when necessary.

And Pam, please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining viruses.
Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit safer when
posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the internet - never
post your address unmunged.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck

tarquinlinbin

On Sat, 1 May 2004 10:39:36 +0800, "Pam" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>We have just connected to Broadband and are looking for information on
>keeping the system secure. Zone Alarm has been mentioned. Does anyone have
>any negative comments on Zone Alarm or is there another program that is
>considered better.

As others have said, get a router with NAT and SPI. I have one on my
machine, i also use NIS 2004. NIS isnt for everyone though !.

joe