Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > PGP Software - Is it safe?

PGP Software - Is it safe?

Mike Reed

Hi all,
I downloaded an encryption program from MIT called PGP - supposedly a heavy
weight encryption suite of programs. Has anyone used it before? if so is it
reliable? I got it from here. http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp-form.html
Cheers,
Mikey!!

Jim Watt

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 06:56:37 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Reed"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I downloaded an encryption program from MIT called PGP - supposedly a heavy
>weight encryption suite of programs.

>Has anyone used it before?

yes

> if so is it reliable?

yes

Why not go to Google and see if there is any mention of the
program on the Internet, read any pages you find about it.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

billh

"Mike Reed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6aen4$k1u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> I downloaded an encryption program from MIT called PGP - supposedly a

heavy
> weight encryption suite of programs. Has anyone used it before? if so is

it
> reliable? I got it from here. http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp-form.html
> Cheers,
> Mikey!!

I use PGP frequently to manually encrypt personal info on my hard-drive; I
don't use it for email so I can't comment on that feature. It works well for
my use and I have never had a corrupted file.
I don't think the MIT distribution is the latest one though. I believe the
current version is around V8.03 which I think I got from Network Associates
(free version). However, I think Network Associates was no longer going to
support PGP. Like Jim Watt said, do a Google Search on PGP.

Billh

Solbu

Secure Lockdown

"billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:9%aic.85348$(E-Mail Removed) :

> "Mike Reed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c6aen4$k1u$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>> I downloaded an encryption program from MIT called PGP - supposedly a

> heavy
>> weight encryption suite of programs. Has anyone used it before? if so
>> is

> it
>> reliable? I got it from here.
>> http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp-form.html Cheers,
>> Mikey!!
>>

> I use PGP frequently to manually encrypt personal info on my
> hard-drive; I don't use it for email so I can't comment on that
> feature. It works well for my use and I have never had a corrupted
> file. I don't think the MIT distribution is the latest one though. I
> believe the current version is around V8.03 which I think I got from
> Network Associates (free version). However, I think Network Associates
> was no longer going to support PGP. Like Jim Watt said, do a Google
> Search on PGP.
>
> Billh

the MIT ver. is the one thats a freebie. but it's apparently got some
serious flaws. but good enough to test out the app and see out it works.

the the current one, you got to buy it. http://www.pgp.com/

*yes, sometimes you have to pay for quality products. you can't mooch
everthing for free all the time*

--
Secure Lockdown
CISSP, MCSE, Security+, Linux+

Bill Unruh

Secure Lockdown <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

]"billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
]news:9%aic.85348$(E-Mail Removed) :

]>
]> "Mike Reed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
]> news:c6aen4$k1u$(E-Mail Removed)...
]>> Hi all,
]>> I downloaded an encryption program from MIT called PGP - supposedly a
]> heavy
]>> weight encryption suite of programs. Has anyone used it before? if so
]>> is
]> it
]>> reliable? I got it from here.
]>> http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp-form.html Cheers,
]>> Mikey!!
]>>
]>>
[...]

Nuts. Who is mooching. Some people feel that software should be
available, just like Science is, to anyone.
Get gpg, an open source version of pgp. PGP is also free for
non-commercial use AFAIK.
Depends on what you want it for. If it is for encrypting files, there
are lots of encryption programs-- blowfish, AES, 3DES,... For email gpg
or pgp are more or less the standards.

billh

"Secure Lockdown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns94D7E04C7FF87securelockdown2123@66.185.95. 104...
> "billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:9%aic.85348$(E-Mail Removed) :
>

> > "Mike Reed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c6aen4$k1u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi all,
> >> I downloaded an encryption program from MIT called PGP - supposedly a

> > heavy
> >> weight encryption suite of programs. Has anyone used it before? if so
> >> is

> > it
> >> reliable? I got it from here.
> >> http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp-form.html Cheers,
> >> Mikey!!
> >>

> > I use PGP frequently to manually encrypt personal info on my
> > hard-drive; I don't use it for email so I can't comment on that
> > feature. It works well for my use and I have never had a corrupted
> > file. I don't think the MIT distribution is the latest one though. I
> > believe the current version is around V8.03 which I think I got from
> > Network Associates (free version). However, I think Network Associates
> > was no longer going to support PGP. Like Jim Watt said, do a Google
> > Search on PGP.
> >
> > Billh
> >

> the MIT ver. is the one thats a freebie. but it's apparently got some
> serious flaws. but good enough to test out the app and see out it works.
>
> the the current one, you got to buy it. http://www.pgp.com/
>
> *yes, sometimes you have to pay for quality products. you can't mooch
> everthing for free all the time*
>

> --
> Secure Lockdown
> CISSP, MCSE, Security+, Linux+

Suggest you have a look at the site you referenced taking into account the
usage of the product. PGP V8.03 is available to students and others for
personal non-commercial use. You don't get all the features but you do get
basic encryption capabilities. Would scarcely call it mooching when they are
giving it away.
Billh

Secure Lockdown

"billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:E2Djc.68786$(E-Mail Removed) :

> PGP V8.03 is available to students and
> others for personal non-commercial use.

can you pls post link where you can get that?

i looked briefly, and can't see it readily availle for free download on
their main site anywhere...

thanx

--
Secure Lockdown
CISSP, MCSE, Security+, Linux+

Secure Lockdown

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bill Unruh) wrote in news:c6kt9u$62k$1
@string.physics.ubc.ca:

> Nuts. Who is mooching. Some people feel that software should be
> available, just like Science is, to anyone.
> Get gpg, an open source version of pgp. PGP is also free for
> non-commercial use AFAIK.
> Depends on what you want it for. If it is for encrypting files, there
> are lots of encryption programs-- blowfish, AES, 3DES,... For email gpg
> or pgp are more or less the standards.

i didn't say there weren't open source alternatives....

i was refering to PGP as per the MIT site and the commercial one.

--
Secure Lockdown
CISSP, MCSE, Security+, Linux+

David Postill

In article <Xns94D9B5A0114C7securelockdown2123@66.185.95.104> , on Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:51:19 GMT,
Secure Lockdown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

| "billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
| news:E2Djc.68786$(E-Mail Removed) :
|
| > PGP V8.03 is available to students and
| > others for personal non-commercial use.
|
| can you pls post link where you can get that?
|
| i looked briefly, and can't see it readily availle for free download on
| their main site anywhere...

<http://www.pgp.com/products/freeware.html>

HTH

<davidp />

--
David Postill

JavaMail and PGP Ray Kane Java 0 01-12-2005 09:57 PM
Thunderbird and pgp Calimero Firefox 1 01-10-2004 09:52 PM
Examples of using Bouncy Castle to decrypt PGP files Apollo Java 0 11-29-2003 02:12 AM
Mozilla Mail and PGP Christian Werner Firefox 3 09-19-2003 03:45 PM
Perl PGP question Zapp Perl 0 09-08-2003 11:32 PM

Advertisments