Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Windows desktop

Windows desktop

Neil

Hi guys,

I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently started to
display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file association and is
simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it seems to be coming back.

All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is updated
daily.

Any ideas? TIA

dkg_ctc

"Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c63l25$urv$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi guys,
>
> I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently
> started to display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file
> association and is simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it
> seems to be coming back.
>
> All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is
> updated daily.
>
> Any ideas? TIA

http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml

Aaron B. Lingwood

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:02:01 +0100, "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently started to
>display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file association and is
>simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it seems to be coming back.
>
>All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is updated
>daily.
>
>Any ideas? TIA

It is not caused by a virus, however, it does show a big security
hole. You are still using OE and probably IE. I would recommend
downloading and installing Mozilla or combination of Opera / Agent.

You can then uninstall Outlook Express and the Windows Address Book
which will fix this problem and make your PC more secure and less
virus-prone.

HTH
Aaron Lingwood