Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Invisible files?

Invisible files?

billh

I am running XP Pro. I had AVG free antivirus popup and say I had a trojan
Qdownload.A in file C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\Qdow.dll After I
did a full scan the Results log showed that it had "healed" the above file
and also had detected the same trojan in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program
Files\Conflict.1\Qdow.dll and "healed" it also.

Before running the full scan I used Explorer to look at
C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder. I didn't see Qdow.dll - there
are some entries for Realplayer and Panda Software. There was no sub-folder
Conflict.1 either. I have Explorer set to show hidden files and folders
and also system files. Is there some magic going on?

Thanks,
Billh

Damjan

> Before running the full scan I used Explorer to look at
> C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder. I didn't see Qdow.dll - there
> are some entries for Realplayer and Panda Software. There was no

sub-folder
> Conflict.1 either. I have Explorer set to show hidden files and folders
> and also system files. Is there some magic going on?

Try to use some alternative file explirer, like Total Commander.
That help often. Try to go in safe mode too, and look there.

Greets,

Pete Rife

Bill,

I would suggest turning off the System Restore feature, restart, run AVG,
then turn the System Restore feature back on. I have experienced several
adware and virii that required this step to completely remove.

HTH

Pete

"billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wlzfc.26439$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I am running XP Pro. I had AVG free antivirus popup and say I had a trojan
> Qdownload.A in file C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files\Qdow.dll After I
> did a full scan the Results log showed that it had "healed" the above file
> and also had detected the same trojan in C:\Windows\Downloaded Program
> Files\Conflict.1\Qdow.dll and "healed" it also.
>
> Before running the full scan I used Explorer to look at
> C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder. I didn't see Qdow.dll - there
> are some entries for Realplayer and Panda Software. There was no

sub-folder
> Conflict.1 either. I have Explorer set to show hidden files and folders
> and also system files. Is there some magic going on?
>
> Thanks,
> Billh

Damjan

> Bill,
>
> I would suggest turning off the System Restore feature, restart, run AVG,
> then turn the System Restore feature back on. I have experienced several
> adware and virii that required this step to completely remove.
>
> HTH
>
> Pete

Pete, do you maby know, why the folder called "System Volume Information"
doesn't disappear (i have system restore turned off at all HDD)?

Greets,

Pete Rife

Hey Bill,

Simply turning off system restore will not delete the folder. You can take
ownership of the folder and gain access to it and thereby delete old restore
points. Generally as a rule I would advise against deleting the folder.
Did you ultimately get the trojan off your system?

Regards,

Pete Rife

Did the virus scan with system restore turned off solve your virus problem?
news:W1ghc.1264$(E-Mail Removed)...