Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Sharing,Security,Remote Access - Software/Hardware? Which?

Sharing,Security,Remote Access - Software/Hardware? Which?

Amnon Itos

Hi!

On my office I have one physical network port.

First, I would like to connect 2-3 PCs to that port, but not with a stupid
hub (I already have one), but a fast and reliable one. Every PC should have
his own IP in the subnet but for the outsiders, it should seem the same IP.

Second, since this IP I have is open to the world only through port 80 and
Telnet, I would like to be able to access, through some VPN (probably
software) everything on the new subnet from an outside PC. This does not
violate company policy - the only issue is that getting other ports is more
bureaucracy than my time can afford, so a VPN sounds good to me. The
question is whether any solution can use the available ports for such a
task, or that I'm stuck and still need more ports.

Third, the more software the solution is, the better, since my budget is
easier with software than with hardware due to administrative hell e.g.
using IIS. However, any hardware under 250$ is not an issue at all
(regardless of how many pieces of hardware - any single one should be no
more than 250$).

Fourth, company firewall is quite sophisticated and limits traffic speed on
various ports. That is, using MSN Messenger to transfer files is simply
slow. If the solution can bypass that somehow, that would be great.

I sum, I should be able to do the following:

1. Connect a couple of PCs to a single wall socket sharing a single IP with
little performance problems, if any

2. be able to access my SQL Server, which is within the subnet, from home
(i.e. behind the organization firewall), considering I have only ports 80
and Telnet. The same is for remote desktop. YET, I should also be able to
access it from within the organization without any special client
configuration (as I do now)

3. If possible, be able to use every possible port without restriction from
inside the subnet

What do you think is the best solution?

Thanks,

Amnon

Leythos

In article <c5gq8l$fqv$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
[snip]
> What do you think is the best solution?

I think that you should ask the IT department to provide you with a VPN
connection in to your office so that you can work from anywhere you
like.

A simple VPN connection, provided and configured by your IT department
will give you everything you ask for and more.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)