Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Can my ISP see my NNTP traffic?

Can my ISP see my NNTP traffic?

Leythos

In article <c9kquc$rlj$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> I don't understand. ISPs do not keep copies of e-mails surely? So why
> would they keep NNTP traffic?
>
> I thought the storage directive in the UK was voluntary and the ISPs were
> refusing to sign-up to it?

The point is that an ISP or anyone along the path to you/them, can track
what you are doing if they want to. Just live with it, it won't change.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Bill Unruh

]> > >
]> > > You'll see that it's not only your ISP that can see your Usenet
]traffic!
]> > >
]> > > I posted a message complaining about a crap boss I had and it turned
]up
]> > the
]> > > head of the list in Google if you did a search on his name.

A usenet post is SUPPOSED to be readable by everyone in the world. That is
what usenet is all about. And Yes, google does also search over usenet.

T. Sean Weintz

Bill Unruh wrote:

> ]> > >
> ]> > > You'll see that it's not only your ISP that can see your Usenet
> ]traffic!
> ]> > >
> ]> > > I posted a message complaining about a crap boss I had and it turned
> ]up
> ]> > the
> ]> > > head of the list in Google if you did a search on his name.
>
> A usenet post is SUPPOSED to be readable by everyone in the world. That is
> what usenet is all about. And Yes, google does also search over usenet.

Yup. Google groups is great. I love seeing my name all over it.

Sean Weintz
T. Sean Weintz
Sean Weintz
T. Sean Weintz

Yeah.
all the way back to '96. 8 years of garbage it's collected on me.
Flame wars and all.

--
Copyright 2004 T. Sean Weintz
This post may be copied freely without

ALSO - FWIW, The following WHOIS Record is years out of date:
Weintz, Sean (SW2893) (E-Mail Removed)
Sean Weintz
462 Sixth Street , #A
Brooklyn, NY 11215

Lassi =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hippel=E4inen?=

Qintin wrote:

> I don't understand. ISPs do not keep copies of e-mails surely? So why
> would they keep NNTP traffic?

When you set up an NNTP server, you set up an archive. How else could
the people read the newsgroups?

-- Lassi

"T. Sean Weintz" wrote:

> Bill Unruh wrote:
>
> > ]> > >
> > ]> > > You'll see that it's not only your ISP that can see your Usenet
> > ]traffic!
> > ]> > >
> > ]> > > I posted a message complaining about a crap boss I had and it turned
> > ]up
> > ]> > the
> > ]> > > head of the list in Google if you did a search on his name.
> >
> > A usenet post is SUPPOSED to be readable by everyone in the world. That is
> > what usenet is all about. And Yes, google does also search over usenet.
> >

> Yup. Google groups is great. I love seeing my name all over it.

Used to be called Dejanews, before Google acquired it.

> Yeah.
> all the way back to '96. 8 years of garbage it's collected on me.
> Flame wars and all.

It is quite regular to check the newsgroups before recruiting people. A
good way of finding out what kind of candidates you have.

-- Lassi

Dystopia

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.computer.security.]
* On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 10:07:55 GMT, Lassi Hippeläinen wrote:

> It is quite regular to check the newsgroups before recruiting people. A
> good way of finding out what kind of candidates you have.
>
> -- Lassi

Yeah a good reason to use pseudonyms and X-No-Archive. What I do in my
spare time is no ones business.

--
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most -- Ozzy

Leythos

In article <c9n2mh$7vk$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.computer.security.]
> * On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 10:07:55 GMT, Lassi Hippeläinen wrote:
> >
> > It is quite regular to check the newsgroups before recruiting people. A
> > good way of finding out what kind of candidates you have.
> >
> > -- Lassi

> Yeah a good reason to use pseudonyms and X-No-Archive. What I do in my
> spare time is no ones business.

Keep in mind that honoring of XNA is strictly up to the archive entity.
It might also interest you to know that a reply where your post is
quoted is archived even though your part of the post had XNA. This means
that any reply to your post will be archived by google.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Dystopia

* On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:14:13 GMT, Leythos wrote:

> Keep in mind that honoring of XNA is strictly up to the archive entity.
> It might also interest you to know that a reply where your post is
> quoted is archived even though your part of the post had XNA. This means
> that any reply to your post will be archived by google.

Oh yeah I know I used to make my own archices when I had my own
newsserver years ago. I certainly didn't honour anything

People that dont use X-No-Archive can also remove their posts from
google but a minor flaw in this system is that the only way of verifying
removal is an email sent back to the "From:" address of the original
post which as we all know .. is not always a valid address.

--
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most -- Ozzy

Concerned citizen

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:16:43 GMT, Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>:In article <c9kquc$rlj$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>:>
>:> I don't understand. ISPs do not keep copies of e-mails surely? So why
>:> would they keep NNTP traffic?
>:>
>:> I thought the storage directive in the UK was voluntary and the ISPs were
>:> refusing to sign-up to it?
>:
>:The point is that an ISP or anyone along the path to you/them, can track
>:what you are doing if they want to. Just live with it, it won't change.
>:
>:--

But not if you use encrypted tunnelling using SSH via a remote server, such as Privacy.Li

Concerned citizen

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 10:05:27 GMT, Lassi Hippeläinen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>:Qintin wrote:
>:>
>:> I don't understand. ISPs do not keep copies of e-mails surely? So why
>:> would they keep NNTP traffic?
>:
>:When you set up an NNTP server, you set up an archive. How else could
>:the people read the newsgroups?
>:
>:-- Lassi

If you want security, never connect directly with the NNTP server (or any other server for
that matter). Use Secure Shell (SSH) with its encrypted connection from your desktop to
the remote server, then your ISP (and the snoops) cannot know what your doing.