Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Do file permissions exist on non-NT Windows systems?

Do file permissions exist on non-NT Windows systems?

Sale

On a Win98 based PC belonging to my neighbor, MS Word came up with

>The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
>*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
>*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
>(D:\....Path....\***.DOC)

The D:\ drive exists and the document is copied to it from a floppy,
(in *.zip format,) and then unzipped. I think the original zipping
took place on a NT-based mahine, but I'm not sure of the file system.

I took the original *.zip file home, unzipped it on my WinXP/NTFS
machine, and the document opened normally. I saved it, zipped it and
took it back to the neighbor, who was now able to open the file.

For all I know, there are no such things as "File Permissions" on
FAT/FAT32 systems, but...what was all this?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Best regards

Sale

N1POP

Sale wrote:
> For all I know, there are no such things as "File Permissions" on
> FAT/FAT32 systems, but...what was all this?

File permissions used to be called attributes, and they've been around
for a long time. Attributes are Read-only, Archive, System, and Hidden.
Check the file properties (in DOS, type ATTRIB filename) and make sure
that Read-only, System, and Hidden are not set.

Richard Kirkcaldy

Sale wrote:

> On a Win98 based PC belonging to my neighbor, MS Word came up with
>

>>The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
>>*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
>>*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
>>(D:\....Path....\***.DOC)

> The D:\ drive exists and the document is copied to it from a floppy,
> (in *.zip format,) and then unzipped. I think the original zipping
> took place on a NT-based mahine, but I'm not sure of the file system.

On Windows 98 with a FAT32 disk it's not going to be a problem with
permissions. I am right in thinking win98 can't read NTFS aren't I?
Check that the file size is something similar to what it should be,
perhaps the file has got corrupted. The last time I got that error I
resorted to opening the file in notepad and re-creating the word
document from what text I could recover.

--
Richard Kirkcaldy

Sale

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:06:27 +0200, Sale <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On a Win98 based PC belonging to my neighbor, MS Word came up with
>
>>The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
>>*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
>>*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.
>>(D:\....Path....\***.DOC)

>The D:\ drive exists and the document is copied to it from a floppy,
>(in *.zip format,) and then unzipped. I think the original zipping
>took place on a NT-based mahine, but I'm not sure of the file system.
>
>I took the original *.zip file home, unzipped it on my WinXP/NTFS
>machine, and the document opened normally. I saved it, zipped it and
>took it back to the neighbor, who was now able to open the file.
>
>For all I know, there are no such things as "File Permissions" on
>FAT/FAT32 systems, but...what was all this?
>
>Any comments will be appreciated.
>
>Best regards
>
>Sale

Thanks for the replies...I didn't think of checking the origina file
attributes but I guess what confused me the most was that the file was
unzipped and opened normally on an NTFS HD, as well as on a FAT32
after I re-zipped and re-saved it on NTFS. The file was originally
copied to both drives from a floppy.

Thanks anyway

Sale

Voyager

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 21:06:27 +0200, Sale wrote:

> On a Win98 based PC belonging to my neighbor, MS Word came up with
>
>>The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions.
>>*Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
>>*Use the File Open dialog box to locate the document.

I have received that error message many times, as has one of my co-workers.

It is completely 100% bogus.

What it really meant in every single case where I have encountered it was
"Your document is corrupt."

<insert derogatory comment about Microsoft here>

--
Voyager
Webmaster: http://www.hackfaq.org