Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Re: BS7799 info needed

Re: BS7799 info needed

C Colon

Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
> standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
> knowledgeable Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
> know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
>
> thanks in advance

The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
registered users of SANS, i forget...

Regards
C:\>
------------------------------------
Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
only

Dave

On 1 Apr 2004 00:01:36 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (C Colon) wrote:

>Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
>> standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
>> knowledgeable Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
>> know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
>>
>> thanks in advance

>The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
>could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
>but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
>registered users of SANS, i forget...
>
>Regards
>C:\>
>------------------------------------
>Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
>only

Thanks very much, I found some really useful stuff there!

D.

Ford Prefect

C Colon wrote:
> Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>
>>I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
>>standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
>>knowledgeable Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
>>know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
>>
>>thanks in advance

> The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
> could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
> but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
> registered users of SANS, i forget...
>
> Regards
> C:\>
> ------------------------------------
> Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
> only

why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
levels by providing such information?

Voyager

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 +0000, Ford Prefect wrote:

> why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
> levels by providing such information?

Well, if they study, then they aren't mis-representing their knowledge
level -- they are expanding their knowledge level.

No?

--
Voyager
Webmaster: http://www.hackfaq.org

Dave

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 GMT, Ford Prefect
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>C Colon wrote:
>> Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>>
>>>I've got an interview coming up and need to learn something about this
>>>standard pretty quick, or at least enough to sound reasonably
>>>knowledgeable Trouble is it's "just $995" to buy - does anyone
>>>know a good resource where I can get some info for free.
>>>
>>>thanks in advance

>> The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
>> could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
>> but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
>> registered users of SANS, i forget...
>>
>> Regards
>> C:\>
>> ------------------------------------
>> Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
>> only

>why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
>levels by providing such information?

Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
learn it if not for professional advancement..

Ford Prefect

Voyager wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 +0000, Ford Prefect wrote:
>

>>why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
>>levels by providing such information?

> Well, if they study, then they aren't mis-representing their knowledge
> level -- they are expanding their knowledge level.
>
> No?

BS7799 isn't something you learn or understand overnight merely by
reading a copy of the standard.

This person has obviously never dealt with the standards and
overstated their qualifications. They are now scrambling to know the
right "buzz words" so they can bullshit their way through an interview
the should never have been granted in the first place...

Ford Prefect

Dave wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 GMT, Ford Prefect
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>C Colon wrote:

>>>The SANS reading room had some stuff on BS7799 last I checked. You
>>>could check the same too. Too lazy to hunt around and post the URL,
>>>but it would probably be easy to find. Also, it is probably only for
>>>registered users of SANS, i forget...
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>C:\>
>>>------------------------------------
>>>Kindly post replies to the newsgroup
>>>only

>>why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
>>levels by providing such information?

> Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
> was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
> motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
> learn it if not for professional advancement..

Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
liar he is.

Jim Watt

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 04:02:02 GMT, Ford Prefect
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
>> was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
>> motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
>> learn it if not for professional advancement..
>>

>Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
>interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
>something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
>liar he is.

Yeah and he didn't even bother to get the correct price of it from BSI
as its only 82 quid not $995
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Dave

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 09:46:09 +0200, Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way>
wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 04:02:02 GMT, Ford Prefect
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
>>> was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
>>> motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
>>> learn it if not for professional advancement..
>>>

>>Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
>>interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
>>something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
>>liar he is.

>Yeah and he didn't even bother to get the correct price of it from BSI
>as its only 82 quid not $995

As stated in your very clever and witty reply to the original question
several days ago. You've made your point Jimbo, now go back to sleep.

mike

Ford Prefect <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Dave wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 21:44:56 GMT, Ford Prefect
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>why would you encourage this person to misrepresent their knowledge
> >>levels by providing such information?

> > Eh? how does wanting to learn something involve misrepresentation? I
> > was simply looking for a good resource, And if your problem is with my
> > motives for learing 7799 then ask yourself why anyone would want to
> > learn it if not for professional advancement..
> >

> Read his original post, dim wit. He's already been granted the
> interview on the pretense he knows the material and now has to learn
> something about the topic he said he knew so he doesn't look like the
> liar he is.

He says nothing of the sort, he says he has an interview and wants to
learn something about it. Sounds like good preparation to me. And
anyway it's not for you to judge is it, if he wants to learn it who
are you to accuse him of lying?

BS7799 Rach Computer Security 4 11-17-2007 11:33 AM
ISO BS7799 code Damian Burrin Computer Security 6 04-06-2005 08:57 PM
Clear the Render info & change to different info Andrea Williams ASP .Net 2 10-27-2004 10:01 PM
How to get the Operating System info like ( Wireless info, Wireless connection) Vasanth Perl 0 06-28-2004 08:56 AM
ISO 17799 / BS7799 Security News: Issue 10 Released Mark L Kirkby Computer Security 1 05-08-2004 05:21 PM

Advertisments