Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Norton 2004

Norton 2004

Ronald Murray

Hello
I have to disable the anti virus software to read my mail & disable the
firewall to get online.
My question is: Does windows XP have it's own firewall?
And if so , how can I disable it , to see if it's conflicting with the
Symantec software?
Thanks
unprotected in NS
ron

Colonel Flagg

In article <ugL2c.2504$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hello
> I have to disable the anti virus software to read my mail & disable the
> firewall to get online.
> My question is: Does windows XP have it's own firewall?
> And if so , how can I disable it , to see if it's conflicting with the
> Symantec software?
> Thanks
> unprotected in NS
> ron

lol.

there's so many things wrong with that.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

Gladys Pump

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:05:45 -0400, "Ronald Murray" <(E-Mail Removed)>,
whilst in the alt.computer.security newsfroup, articulated the following
sentiments :

>Hello
>I have to disable the anti virus software to read my mail & disable the
>firewall to get online.

In other words, there's no point you having either of them. :/

>My question is: Does windows XP have it's own firewall?
>And if so , how can I disable it , to see if it's conflicting with the
>Symantec software?

Can you say what the Symantec software is that you're using ?

XP does have it's own firewall, of sorts. It's not enabled by default, until
the next service pack comes out, AFAIK. So it shouldn't be on unless you've
somehow turned it on.

XP's firewall only blocks unsolicited incoming connection attempts, as far
as I'm aware.

Regs, Pete.

kulm_nd

I gave up on Symantec firewall, it kept screwing up over time and I would
have to uninstall it. I now use Zone Alarm Pro with no difficulties.

The current XP firewall only looks at incoming packets and is turned off by
default, when the newest service pack comes out from MS the firewall is
supposed to watch outgoing packets also and be turned on by default.

g-w

"Ronald Murray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ugL2c.2504$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> I have to disable the anti virus software to read my mail & disable the
> firewall to get online.
> My question is: Does windows XP have it's own firewall?
> And if so , how can I disable it , to see if it's conflicting with the
> Symantec software?
> Thanks
> unprotected in NS
> ron

Leythos

In article <ugL2c.2504$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hello
> I have to disable the anti virus software to read my mail & disable the
> firewall to get online.
> My question is: Does windows XP have it's own firewall?
> And if so , how can I disable it , to see if it's conflicting with the
> Symantec software?
> Thanks
> unprotected in NS
> ron

First, Norton AV 2004 does not have to be disabled to read email, but,
if you want to read email that contains a virus you do

Since you didn't say which Norton 2004 product you are using, we can't
really address your problem - there are many Norton products.

If you have to disable the firewall you didn't install it correctly. I
would uninstall Norton 2004, reboot, reinstall it with the default
configs.

You should NOT disable NAV while reading/fetching email.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Ronald Murray

In other words, there's no point you having either of them. :/
Exactly
I think this is 5 days now trying to get this stuff to work. It's crazy. My
computer takes like 4 minutes to boot up into windows. I installed NSW 2004
then NPF 2004. I wonder if Symantec knows there software doesn't work?
Ever try to contact them. Good luck.
ron

Leythos

In article <hjM2c.2554$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> In other words, there's no point you having either of them. :/
> Exactly
> I think this is 5 days now trying to get this stuff to work. It's crazy. My
> computer takes like 4 minutes to boot up into windows. I installed NSW 2004
> then NPF 2004. I wonder if Symantec knows there software doesn't work?
> Ever try to contact them. Good luck.
> ron

How much RAM does your Windows XP computer have and are you also using
the XP Firewall filter?

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)