Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > MCAFEE LACK OF CUSTOMER SUPPORT

MCAFEE LACK OF CUSTOMER SUPPORT

mfrumkin

My daughter downloaded something evil onto her laptop and I need to
do a reinstall. She is using Mcafee Virus Scan 8.0 that I purchased
from their online store. When I went online to download and
reinstall that portion was grayed out. I called Mcafee to get the
proper link to reinstall. I have now been on the phone, primarily
with Manila, for the last 3 hours attempting to get the download
link. They are very polite and totally unhelpful. They can find my
accouny but cannot figure out how to send me a link. I am going to
eat the money I paid Mcafee and look for a different virus scan
product.

I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.

Mike

Leythos

In article <5K82c.20804$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
> I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
> good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.

I use it on over 2800 computers and servers and have never had a virus
while Norton/Symantec was protecting those systems.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Alan Walker

Leythos wrote:
> In article <5K82c.20804$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
>> good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.

> I use it on over 2800 computers and servers and have never had a virus
> while Norton/Symantec was protecting those systems.
>
> --

Have run both McAfee and Symantec on large numbers of commercial systems
without problems but having read the latest reports I now use Kaspersky at
home.

David H. Lipman

You should know that corporate/enterprise AV software is usually superior to retail versions
and that Symantec support is no better, if not worse, than NAI/McAfee.

Dave

"Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| In article <5K82c.20804$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
| (E-Mail Removed) says...
| > I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
| > good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.
|
| I use it on over 2800 computers and servers and have never had a virus
| while Norton/Symantec was protecting those systems.
|
| --
| --
| (E-Mail Removed)
| (Remove 999 to reply to me)

vb

I have never had an issue with Norton. I had McAfee befor and they were a
disaster.

V.B.

news:nC92c.15434$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should know that corporate/enterprise AV software is usually superior

to retail versions
> and that Symantec support is no better, if not worse, than NAI/McAfee.
>
> Dave
>

> "Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | In article <5K82c.20804$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
> | (E-Mail Removed) says...
> | > I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
> | > good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.
> |
> | I use it on over 2800 computers and servers and have never had a virus
> | while Norton/Symantec was protecting those systems.
> |
> | --
> | --
> | (E-Mail Removed)
> | (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Colonel Flagg

In article <5K82c.20804$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> My daughter downloaded something evil onto her laptop and I need to
> do a reinstall. She is using Mcafee Virus Scan 8.0 that I purchased
> from their online store. When I went online to download and
> reinstall that portion was grayed out. I called Mcafee to get the
> proper link to reinstall. I have now been on the phone, primarily
> with Manila, for the last 3 hours attempting to get the download
> link. They are very polite and totally unhelpful. They can find my
> accouny but cannot figure out how to send me a link. I am going to
> eat the money I paid Mcafee and look for a different virus scan
> product.
>
> I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
> good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.
>
> Mike

here's my professional (tongue-in-cheek) opinion about mcafee and
norton:

I wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with either.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

David H. Lipman

Conversely, I have never had an issue with McAfee in almost 15 years of use - YMMV, so they
say

Dave

"vb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I have never had an issue with Norton. I had McAfee befor and they were a
| disaster.
|
| V.B.

| news:nC92c.15434$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > You should know that corporate/enterprise AV software is usually superior
| to retail versions
| > and that Symantec support is no better, if not worse, than NAI/McAfee.
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "Leythos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | In article <5K82c.20804$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
| > | (E-Mail Removed) says...
| > |
| > | I use it on over 2800 computers and servers and have never had a virus
| > | while Norton/Symantec was protecting those systems.
| > |
| > | --
| > | --
| > | (E-Mail Removed)
| > | (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Doug Fox

McAfee's anti-virus is a great program. I wouldn't count on its tech
support. One point in time, even I have escalated to its Country Manager,
it was no avail.

"mfrumkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5K82c.20804$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> My daughter downloaded something evil onto her laptop and I need to
> do a reinstall. She is using Mcafee Virus Scan 8.0 that I purchased
> from their online store. When I went online to download and
> reinstall that portion was grayed out. I called Mcafee to get the
> proper link to reinstall. I have now been on the phone, primarily
> with Manila, for the last 3 hours attempting to get the download
> link. They are very polite and totally unhelpful. They can find my
> accouny but cannot figure out how to send me a link. I am going to
> eat the money I paid Mcafee and look for a different virus scan
> product.
>
> I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
> good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.
>
> Mike

MDRai

http://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?...e=PLEASE_LOGIN

Try the above link....as if you don't have a login id already, you can
create one
and re-download from the estore...I have been successful with this
methodology
in the past...May I suggest that you back up the downloaded version this
time?

"mfrumkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5K82c.20804$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> My daughter downloaded something evil onto her laptop and I need to
> do a reinstall. She is using Mcafee Virus Scan 8.0 that I purchased
> from their online store. When I went online to download and
> reinstall that portion was grayed out. I called Mcafee to get the
> proper link to reinstall. I have now been on the phone, primarily
> with Manila, for the last 3 hours attempting to get the download
> link. They are very polite and totally unhelpful. They can find my
> accouny but cannot figure out how to send me a link. I am going to
> eat the money I paid Mcafee and look for a different virus scan
> product.
>
> I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
> good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.
>
> Mike

donutbandit

"mfrumkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:5K82c.20804$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net:

> I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
> good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.

Norton has gone the way of most other good things that have been bought
out. I read little about it in numerous groups but problems. I wouldn't
touch it.

Name-brand DVD decks lack support RichA DVD Video 1 07-20-2005 02:05 PM
Lack of Support Stephen Boursy Firefox 4 03-11-2005 04:37 PM
Spam and ISP lack of support Silverback Computer Support 11 02-06-2005 10:21 PM
Re: McAfee AV update kills McAfee AV tonight Chris Mayhew NZ Computing 3 06-20-2004 05:00 AM
Re: McAfee AV update kills McAfee AV tonight Porkster NZ Computing 4 06-19-2004 09:19 AM

Advertisments