Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > am I safe reading newsgroups at my university?

am I safe reading newsgroups at my university?

I want to take advantage of my school's high speed network and download
sensitve data to my laptop through a private usenet provider. Is this more
or less safe than using a home connection?

Thanks

kulm_nd

It depends. Some schools get viruses/trojans on their systems all the time.
Some get key loggers installed by other students. Some schools monitor
downloads for copyrighted material and will know your activity. Personally I
would say it is less safe unless you are seeking anonymity by going through
the school. Hiding your IP and speed are the only advantages.

g-w

"Default" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net...
> I want to take advantage of my school's high speed network and download
> sensitve data to my laptop through a private usenet provider. Is this

more
> or less safe than using a home connection?
>
> Thanks

Bit Twister

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:41:52 GMT, Default wrote:
> I want to take advantage of my school's high speed network and download
> sensitve data to my laptop through a private usenet provider. Is this more
> or less safe than using a home connection?

Has to be safer from home. Is your id/password passed as clear text to
log into the private news server. I would bet kids could have packet sniffers
on the school connection. You do have a better chance of viruses
being in the higher concentration of pcs at a school.

Bill Unruh

Default <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

]I want to take advantage of my school's high speed network and download
]sensitve data to my laptop through a private usenet provider. Is this more
]or less safe than using a home connection?

Safe from what? What kind of "sensitive data"? If you mean download
material which might attract a lawsuit from say RIAA, or Microsoft, then
getting your school as well as your self involved means you will have
two enemies to fight rather than just one. Without more details noone
can tell you anything.

your name

> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:41:52 GMT, Default wrote:
> > I want to take advantage of my school's high speed network and

download
> > sensitve data to my laptop through a private usenet provider. Is this

more
> > or less safe than using a home connection?

> Has to be safer from home. Is your id/password passed as clear text to
> log into the private news server. I would bet kids could have packet

sniffers
> on the school connection. You do have a better chance of viruses
> being in the higher concentration of pcs at a school.

I think u are really confused man (both). Do u know how is the school-net
architecture? do u know if he/she has any anti-virus/firewall at home?
hmmm
u could encrypt ur data, then send it by e-mail ,ftp or anything u want -,
there is a lot of possibilities but i think u dont know what u want or u dont
know how to write it.

I donw think that someone could say if ur homw is more or less secure.

buffff....

kulm_nd

Physical security is an important aspect of security and it is better at
home. Unless someone breaks into the house the only way into the sytem is
e-mail or the Internet and the home user CAN protect himself. At a school
even outsiders can access the computers and install key loggers or other
nasty things.

g-w

"your name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t6N1c.343$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 23:41:52 GMT, Default wrote:
> > > I want to take advantage of my school's high speed network and

> download
> > > sensitve data to my laptop through a private usenet provider. Is this

> more
> > > or less safe than using a home connection?

> > Has to be safer from home. Is your id/password passed as clear text to
> > log into the private news server. I would bet kids could have packet

> sniffers
> > on the school connection. You do have a better chance of viruses
> > being in the higher concentration of pcs at a school.
> >

> I think u are really confused man (both). Do u know how is the school-net
> architecture? do u know if he/she has any anti-virus/firewall at home?
> hmmm
> u could encrypt ur data, then send it by e-mail ,ftp or anything u want -,
> there is a lot of possibilities but i think u dont know what u want or u

dont
> know how to write it.
>
> I donw think that someone could say if ur homw is more or less secure.
>
> buffff....

your name

I think it depends on who is the admin of the school network, of course the
physical security is an important aspect.
The fact is that if we want to disscuss this we hace to know more about the
problem, i think. I am still thinking the same that i said last message.
The question is about the admin of school network, if he is a good admin
they would have a 'safe' network and will be not so easy to install key
loggers or gain access.
i dont think the home user is able to know how to protect, so if i am
wrong,why is so easy to break into a lot of people's computers? trojans,
worms...

=)

,