Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Anti-Virus recommendations?

Anti-Virus recommendations?

Neil Hindry

I have a laptop that came with Norton anti-virus 2002. I have now come to
the end of my free years update and so I want to find a new anti-virus
program as I have heard lots of people saying to stay clear of Norton.

I am looking for an anti-virus program that does the following :-
Check all files accessed for viruses (like Auto-protect in Norton)
Check E-mails as you download them
Unlimited free updates.
I want it to work with Windows XP (Pro & Home)
Any other features that you think are useful.

I know there is AVG, but I wanted to know what else was available. Could
you please give me advice as to what is the best free anti-virus program
that does what I want it to do?

Any advice & information is gratefully received.

Thanks!!

John

In article <40410933$2$17824$(E-Mail Removed)>,
neilhindry@_nospamthankyou_ntlworld.com says...
> I have a laptop that came with Norton anti-virus 2002. I have now come to
> the end of my free years update and so I want to find a new anti-virus
> program as I have heard lots of people saying to stay clear of Norton.
>
> I am looking for an anti-virus program that does the following :-
> Check all files accessed for viruses (like Auto-protect in Norton)
> Check E-mails as you download them
> Unlimited free updates.
> I want it to work with Windows XP (Pro & Home)
> Any other features that you think are useful.
>
> I know there is AVG, but I wanted to know what else was available. Could
> you please give me advice as to what is the best free anti-virus program
> that does what I want it to do?
>
> Any advice & information is gratefully received.
>
> Thanks!!

Here is an independent magazine's listing of the vendors and their
records on the magazine's tests.

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?

I think ESET produces a good product - annual fee is in the middle of
the pack at $39. That gives 1 year of free updates. The program is
very well written so there is no noticeable drag, updates are automatic
and unnoticeable. It's really a set it and forget it antivirus program.