Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Opt-Out option for crap mail?

Opt-Out option for crap mail?

Itz Just Me

I am getting more and more of unsolicted crap in my mail box. One item
had an option of getting removed from the list. I hit the link and it
took me to a screen that had OPT-IN highlighted as the default choice.
http://www.wegotagooddeal.biz/

While it has "Opt Out" as an option, the ENTER button says "Register
Now!" I don't want to get caught up in any word games that bring even
more crap into my box.

Is there ANY way of really dealing with this situation?

Jim Watt

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:02:14 -0500, Itz Just Me <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am getting more and more of unsolicted crap in my mail box.

How strange; wonder why they picked you

>One item had an option of getting removed from the list.

NEVER RESPOND. it only confirms your address is valid.

>Is there ANY way of really dealing with this situation?

Get a mail account with Spam filtering or get a new email
account

Personally I blame the Americans, too many guns too much
cheap gasoline all those baseball bats and not enough people
using them productivly to solve this problem.
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

*Vanguard*

"Itz Just Me" said in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> I am getting more and more of unsolicted crap in my mail box. One item
> had an option of getting removed from the list. I hit the link and it
> took me to a screen that had OPT-IN highlighted as the default choice.
> http://www.wegotagooddeal.biz/
>
> While it has "Opt Out" as an option, the ENTER button says "Register
> Now!" I don't want to get caught up in any word games that bring even
> more crap into my box.
>
> Is there ANY way of really dealing with this situation?

So you really believe a spammer is going to let your opt-out? You really
believe that clicking that opt-out button will *reduce* your spam? Yeah,
like no spammer is going to use a bogus opt-out process to get recipients to
identify valid AND *monitored* e-mail accounts, no, uh uh. Hey, I got a
deal for you. Send me $299.99 cash or money order and I'll guarantee that
you get no spam for up to 12 hours after receipt of payment or half your
money back.

Don't opt out unless it is a highly recognized sender, like IBM, HP,
Microsoft, etc., and you check the HTML source to verify the link actually
takes you to their domain instead of a scam site. When you answer the
doorbell, you tell them you're there.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Micheal Robert Zium

Jim Watt wrote:

>Personally I blame the Americans, too many guns too much
>cheap gasoline all those baseball bats and not enough people
>using them productivly to solve this problem.

LOL! You may have a very valid point there.

Filip van Laenen

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Personally I blame the Americans, too many guns too much
> cheap gasoline all those baseball bats and not enough people
> using them productivly to solve this problem.

Yeah, sure, easy to say. Maybe you should start to do the same exercise that
I've been doing these last days: check the IP-numbers the spammail is coming
from.

Filip

Hairy One Kenobi

"Filip van Laenen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1msld$9p4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Personally I blame the Americans, too many guns too much
> > cheap gasoline all those baseball bats and not enough people
> > using them productivly to solve this problem.

> Yeah, sure, easy to say. Maybe you should start to do the same exercise

that
> I've been doing these last days: check the IP-numbers the spammail is

coming
> from.

Interesting comment.. so I did ;o)

Unfortunately, 75% of mail was sent to one of my ISP email addresses
(meaning that the connecting country is set to the UK, making it impossible
to tell where the originating mail really came from).

Of the direct connections, the US comes top, with the same number of spams
as the top two and three added together (Italy and Australia). Korea (often
blamed as a major source of spam) came in at 20th place, with a measly 1%.

Of course, this is really just a profile of compromised machines, rather
than the origin of spammers themselves..

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Jim Watt

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:46:53 +0100, "Filip van Laenen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Personally I blame the Americans, too many guns too much
>> cheap gasoline all those baseball bats and not enough people
>> using them productivly to solve this problem.

>Yeah, sure, easy to say. Maybe you should start to do the same exercise that
>I've been doing these last days: check the IP-numbers the spammail is coming
>from.

I have and they are mostly American, on DSL lines.

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Itz Just Me

Just out of curiosity, what would the motivation be for a spammer to
go to so much trouble trying to get into my (our) mailboxes when it's
evident we are not interested in the message?

Itz Just Me wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what would the motivation be for a spammer to
> go to so much trouble trying to get into my (our) mailboxes when it's
> evident we are not interested in the message?

Cos it costs zero to send spam, so if they get one sale, they've made a
profit. Multiply that by millions of spam messages and a few hundred
sales and it becomes serions money.

Willondon

D wrote:
> Itz Just Me wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity, what would the motivation be for a spammer to
> > go to so much trouble trying to get into my (our) mailboxes when it's
> > evident we are not interested in the message?

> Cos it costs zero to send spam, so if they get one sale, they've made a
> profit. Multiply that by millions of spam messages and a few hundred
> sales and it becomes serions money.

Also, a lot of spammers make their money by conning other losers into
advertising their crap with spam. They really don't care if you don't
want to buy; they make money based on how many millions they can send the
message to.

--
Willondon