Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Interesting conversation

Interesting conversation

JT

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:33:53 -0800, "johns" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I just can't believe the stupidity here. Go google
>vmlinuz and passwd cracking .. and take the offshore
>link to SWEDEN. What kind of security group is
>this? You guys seem really lost when it comes to
>the details of this subject. If we are going to have
>useful discussions without "selling the store" all of
>you are going to have to catch up, because the kids
>are miles ahead of you .. and they don't have to
>know beans to do it.
>
>johns

What revelation are you trying to put out here? 1, that there are many
programs that will crack NT/2K/XP/?? passwords? Or 2. that many of them
will run on small self booting Linux disks? Neither of those is new, and
Vmlinuz just gets you into threads dealing with Linux.

This is very old news. If it is new to you, then you are the one way out of
touch with security. The speed that the passwords were found indicate
ignorant users with weak, simple, or dictionary based passwords. Why were
you surprised. The tools to do that have been out there for years. No
vmlinuz required. No Sweden required. Just simple, even dos based tools and
access to the machine is all that is needed.

Skorpion (CET)

On 26 Feb 2004, in news:c1laml$bj6$(E-Mail Removed), "johns"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

> ... because the kids are miles ahead of you .. and they don't have to
> know beans to do it.
>
> johns

Because there are plenty of scripts and freely available "tools" to do this
without requiring complete and correct knowledge on the part of the "user".

Hmmm, perhaps you fall in that skiddie group (??)

--
Skorpion (CET)

People who wear Halloween costumes are sometimes mistaken for
monsters.
-- Bruce Sterling

Dazz

wrote:

>I just can't believe the stupidity here. Go google
>vmlinuz and passwd cracking .. and take the offshore
>link to SWEDEN.

I've googled for "vmlinuz & password cracking" and I didn't see
anything with a link to Sweden.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...acking&spell=1

Perhaps you'd like to post the link here, unless you're full of ****.

Do you happen to know what vmlinuz, in respect to linux, is?

Doesn't sound like it.

Ever used Linux?

Doesn't sound like it.

By the way, the following is a Norwegian link, but it does exactly
what you are saying the "vmlinuz password cracking" program does.

That isn't the link you have been referring to, is it?

Did you realise that there is also a bootable CD and not just a
floppy? I've been using it for a year or two already.

>What kind of security group is
>this? You guys seem really lost when it comes to
>the details of this subject.

No, we're all just trying to deal with a damn fool who posts
information that is years old, but has only just discovered it.

>If we are going to have
>useful discussions without "selling the store" all of

Umm, we do have useful discussions in alt.computer.security. Or at
least that is until some moron comes along who posts stuff that is
years old and that everyone already knows about.

My question is, what kind of a moron are you? I don't think you're
really all that capable of having a "useful discussion" because it's
quite clear that you know less than the average script kiddy when it
comes to security ... and they usually know **** all.

>you are going to have to catch up, because the kids
>are miles ahead of you .. and they don't have to
>know beans to do it.

lol. The kids are miles ahead of you, but they aren't necessarily
miles ahead of *everyone* in this group.

First of all, you showed your naivety in this newsgroup by being
surprised about various software that can crack passwords, allow you
to access wireless networks etc.

This is old stuff.

But what you showed to me in your first and subsequent posts, is that
you shouldn't even be looking after a network, let alone a single
solitary desktop.

Do yourself a favour and disconnect from the internet for ever.

Actually, I'm sure you'd be doing everyone a favour.

Dazz

>johns

Jim Watt

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:13:59 -0800, "johns" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Not anymore. That little laptop program was
>running remote. Guy says he can sit outside a
>building and see other systems. This wireless
>thing is a whole new ballgame

Read the manuals and look under the topics
Encryption, non advertising, restrict MAC address

Witeless can be hard or easy, depending on what you
want. Whatever, it would have been hard to use one
from the last serious computer room I built as it was inside
a welded steel box.
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com