Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > The top eight...

The top eight...

SleeperMan

i just found out this link:

http://antivirus.about.com/cs/before.../aatpavwin.htm

Right now i have Norton NIS 2004. But, i wonder, should i change...
so, can you review this site and maybe say anything about which is good,
which eats not too much resources etc...
comparing to NIS2004...
for running on XP PRO. Firewall is a must, since i have ADSL. Automatic
virus update very wanted...
THX

Gladys Pump

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:02:54 +0100, "SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)>,
whilst in the alt.computer.security newsfroup, articulated the following
sentiments :

>i just found out this link:
>
>http://antivirus.about.com/cs/before.../aatpavwin.htm
>
>Right now i have Norton NIS 2004. But, i wonder, should i change...
>so, can you review this site and maybe say anything about which is good,
>which eats not too much resources etc...
>comparing to NIS2004...
>for running on XP PRO. Firewall is a must, since i have ADSL. Automatic
>virus update very wanted...
>THX

Everyone has their favourites. Currently running on my system, and
integrated with my mail server is NOD32. Very transparent, and very small
'footprint' on installation too.

http://www.esetsoftware.co.uk/

Regs, Pete.

Alan Walker

Gladys Pump wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:02:54 +0100, "SleeperMan"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, whilst in the alt.computer.security
> newsfroup, articulated the following sentiments :
>
>> i just found out this link:
>>
>> http://antivirus.about.com/cs/before.../aatpavwin.htm
>>
>> Right now i have Norton NIS 2004. But, i wonder, should i change...
>> so, can you review this site and maybe say anything about which is
>> good, which eats not too much resources etc...
>> comparing to NIS2004...
>> for running on XP PRO. Firewall is a must, since i have ADSL.
>> Automatic virus update very wanted...
>> THX
>>

> Everyone has their favourites. Currently running on my system, and
> integrated with my mail server is NOD32. Very transparent, and very
> small 'footprint' on installation too.
>
> http://www.esetsoftware.co.uk/
>
> Regs, Pete.

Having read around the reviews and compared friends experiences with my own
I opted for Kaspersky AV and ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall, though I'm
seriously thinking about switching to Kerio. My mail server runs McAfee so
everything goes through both with less chance of anything falling through
loopholes.

If you're not running any server (including P2P) then XP firewall should be
enough on it's own if you only open ports you really need.

--

Alan

SleeperMan

Alan Walker typed:

> Gladys Pump wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:02:54 +0100, "SleeperMan"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>, whilst in the alt.computer.security
>> newsfroup, articulated the following sentiments :
>>
>>> i just found out this link:
>>>
>>> http://antivirus.about.com/cs/before.../aatpavwin.htm
>>>
>>> Right now i have Norton NIS 2004. But, i wonder, should i change...
>>> so, can you review this site and maybe say anything about which is
>>> good, which eats not too much resources etc...
>>> comparing to NIS2004...
>>> for running on XP PRO. Firewall is a must, since i have ADSL.
>>> Automatic virus update very wanted...
>>> THX
>>>

>> Everyone has their favourites. Currently running on my system, and
>> integrated with my mail server is NOD32. Very transparent, and very
>> small 'footprint' on installation too.
>>
>> http://www.esetsoftware.co.uk/
>>
>> Regs, Pete.

> Having read around the reviews and compared friends experiences with
> my own I opted for Kaspersky AV and ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall,
> though I'm seriously thinking about switching to Kerio. My mail
> server runs McAfee so everything goes through both with less chance
> of anything falling through loopholes.
>
> If you're not running any server (including P2P) then XP firewall
> should be enough on it's own if you only open ports you really need.

Unfortunately, i do occasionally use Kazaa or EMule. I thought a bit of
NOD32. McAfee - i'v ehad a bad experience with it( BSOD's), so that's out of
my choice. Right now i'm thinking going back to NIS2003 and compare it to
2004...
hard to say indeed, on one side many reviews say Norton's AV is among the
best, on the other side many say it's resource hungry...i guess i should
test each of them by running PC without any AV and firewall (with Internet
shut off, sure), then comparing.

Gladys Pump

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:56:45 -0000, "Alan Walker"
<(E-Mail Removed)>, whilst in the alt.computer.security newsfroup,
articulated the following sentiments :

>Having read around the reviews and compared friends experiences with my own
>I opted for Kaspersky AV and ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall, though I'm
>seriously thinking about switching to Kerio. My mail server runs McAfee so
>everything goes through both with less chance of anything falling through
>loopholes.

That wouldn't be Kerio Mail Server would it Alan ? If so, same as mine, but
without the McAfee integration.

Regs, Pete.

Alan Walker

Gladys Pump wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:56:45 -0000, "Alan Walker"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, whilst in the alt.computer.security
> newsfroup, articulated the following sentiments :
>
>> Having read around the reviews and compared friends experiences with
>> my own I opted for Kaspersky AV and ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall,
>> though I'm seriously thinking about switching to Kerio. My mail
>> server runs McAfee so everything goes through both with less chance
>> of anything falling through loopholes.

> That wouldn't be Kerio Mail Server would it Alan ? If so, same as
> mine, but without the McAfee integration.
>
> Regs, Pete.

Yup, actually I've got Symantec on the box and the McAfee integrated now as
I'm playing around with options, the built-in McAfee never catches anything
as the Symantec's grabbing it all in the temp files first.

--

Alan

Gladys Pump

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:37:36 -0000, "Alan Walker"
<(E-Mail Removed)>, whilst in the alt.computer.security newsfroup,
articulated the following sentiments :

>Gladys Pump wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:56:45 -0000, "Alan Walker"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>, whilst in the alt.computer.security
>> newsfroup, articulated the following sentiments :
>>
>>> Having read around the reviews and compared friends experiences with
>>> my own I opted for Kaspersky AV and ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall,
>>> though I'm seriously thinking about switching to Kerio. My mail
>>> server runs McAfee so everything goes through both with less chance
>>> of anything falling through loopholes.

>> That wouldn't be Kerio Mail Server would it Alan ? If so, same as
>> mine, but without the McAfee integration.
>>
>> Regs, Pete.

>Yup, actually I've got Symantec on the box and the McAfee integrated now as
>I'm playing around with options, the built-in McAfee never catches anything
>as the Symantec's grabbing it all in the temp files first.

Cool. I just have NOD32 as the AV app that Kerio uses. I set it to exclude
the Kerio Mail Server directory, so the 'active' scanner checks the rest of
the system, and the main AV engine takes care of email attackments.

However, these are few and far between now that I've gone back to munging my
email address on USENET. When SWEN first hit the Net, I got 1000 in the
first day. This went down to around 300-400 a day, then to around 50 a day.

I never saw one of the actual attackments. Just the 'neutered' emails
themselves. I don't believe in bouncing stuff back, as aside from adding to
the general 'noise' of the Net, most of the time the return addresses are
false or just plain invalid. Now I just discard them silently. Better.

Apparently, there's a new KMS build out anytime now ...

Regs, Pete.

Alan Walker

Gladys Pump wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:37:36 -0000, "Alan Walker"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, whilst in the alt.computer.security
> newsfroup, articulated the following sentiments :
>
>> Gladys Pump wrote:
>>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:56:45 -0000, "Alan Walker"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>, whilst in the alt.computer.security
>>> newsfroup, articulated the following sentiments :

>>> That wouldn't be Kerio Mail Server would it Alan ? If so, same as
>>> mine, but without the McAfee integration.
>>>
>>> Regs, Pete.

>> Yup, actually I've got Symantec on the box and the McAfee integrated
>> now as I'm playing around with options, the built-in McAfee never
>> catches anything as the Symantec's grabbing it all in the temp files
>> first.

> Cool. I just have NOD32 as the AV app that Kerio uses. I set it to
> exclude the Kerio Mail Server directory, so the 'active' scanner
> checks the rest of the system, and the main AV engine takes care of
> email attackments.
>
> However, these are few and far between now that I've gone back to
> munging my email address on USENET. When SWEN first hit the Net, I
> got 1000 in the first day. This went down to around 300-400 a day,
> then to around 50 a day.
>
> I never saw one of the actual attackments. Just the 'neutered' emails
> themselves. I don't believe in bouncing stuff back, as aside from
> adding to the general 'noise' of the Net, most of the time the return
> addresses are false or just plain invalid. Now I just discard them
> silently. Better.
>
> Apparently, there's a new KMS build out anytime now ...
>
> Regs, Pete.

I'll keep an eye out for it, though the current one's doing fine for me
right now.

--

Alan

Dazz

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:56:45 -0000, "Alan Walker"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snipped>

>If you're not running any server (including P2P) then XP firewall should be
>enough on it's own if you only open ports you really need.

XP's "firewall" only offers inbound protection. Outbound traffic is
virtually free to do whatever it wants to do - whether it is malicious
or not.

Why on earth would anyone put any faith into something that only does
half the job?

Dazz

SleeperMan

Dazz typed:

> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:56:45 -0000, "Alan Walker"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snipped>
>
>> If you're not running any server (including P2P) then XP firewall
>> should be enough on it's own if you only open ports you really need.

> XP's "firewall" only offers inbound protection. Outbound traffic is
> virtually free to do whatever it wants to do - whether it is malicious
> or not.
>
> Why on earth would anyone put any faith into something that only does
> half the job?

i guess for that same reason some would have a faith in MS products...which
also half works, half doing BSOD's...