Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Clock reset - How?

Clock reset - How?

Chris Mitchell

I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
doing this.

I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
occasionally run Spybot.

How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

--
Regards.

Chris.
Please remove MAPSON (NOSPAM backwards) to reply to me by email.

Leonidas Jones

Chris Mitchell wrote:
> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
> doing this.
>
> I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
> occasionally run Spybot.
>
> How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

Computer clocks are annoying. Of the thousand dollars you probably spent
on your system when it was new, maybe 2 dollars were for the clock. I'm
probably being generous in that wild guess.

Without regard to whether or not Moz is a part of the problem, the real
answer is to synch your clock. There are several utilities that do
that, when you are connected to the internet. I use RocketTime on my
windows systemts:

http://www.rocketsoftware.com/portfo...ttime/free.htm

The link is to the free version, which should be adequate for personal
needs. By all means, if you are feeling flush, spend the money for the
paid version, its a great little tool.

Lee

kulm_nd

CPU cycles all used up? I used to lose 10 minutes for every hour online with
a PII running Win 98 and it was just too many programs running.

g-w

"Chris Mitchell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c147od$i1g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
> doing this.
>
> I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
> occasionally run Spybot.
>
> How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
>
> --
> Regards.
>
> Chris.
> Please remove MAPSON (NOSPAM backwards) to reply to me by email.

Joe Reasor

Chris Mitchell wrote:
> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
> doing this.
>
> I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
> occasionally run Spybot.
>
> How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?

Freaky. I'm running the same things and I loose (I'm narrowing it down)
exactly 3 hours every saturday night. Wake up sunday and have to set
the clock up 3 hours...

--
joe reasor

dolphinling

Joe Reasor wrote:
> Chris Mitchell wrote:
>
>> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
>> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
>> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might
>> be doing this.
>>
>> I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
>> occasionally run Spybot.
>>
>> How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
>>

> Freaky. I'm running the same things and I loose (I'm narrowing it down)
> exactly 3 hours every saturday night. Wake up sunday and have to set
> the clock up 3 hours...

Is Saturday night by any chance when your anti-virus runs?

Ken Russell

That's a bit like taking a bath once a week!

Ken Russell

"dolphinling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c15h88$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Is Saturday night by any chance when your anti-virus runs?

---

Ed Mullen

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Chris Mitchell wrote:
>
>>I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
>>after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
>>an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
>>doing this.
>>
>>I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
>>occasionally run Spybot.
>>
>>How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
>>

> Computer clocks are annoying. Of the thousand dollars you probably spent
> on your system when it was new, maybe 2 dollars were for the clock. I'm
> probably being generous in that wild guess.
>
> Without regard to whether or not Moz is a part of the problem, the real
> answer is to synch your clock. There are several utilities that do
> that, when you are connected to the internet. I use RocketTime on my
> windows systemts:
>
> http://www.rocketsoftware.com/portfo...ttime/free.htm
>
> The link is to the free version, which should be adequate for personal
> needs. By all means, if you are feeling flush, spend the money for the
> paid version, its a great little tool.
>
> Lee

And for those running Windows XP, it has Web clock sync built-in.

--
Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
http://edmullen.net/moz.html

Tony

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>

>>Chris Mitchell wrote:
>>

>>>I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
>>>after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
>>>an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
>>>doing this.
>>>
>>>I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
>>>occasionally run Spybot.
>>>
>>>How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
>>>

>>Computer clocks are annoying. Of the thousand dollars you probably spent
>>on your system when it was new, maybe 2 dollars were for the clock. I'm
>>probably being generous in that wild guess.
>>
>>Without regard to whether or not Moz is a part of the problem, the real
>>answer is to synch your clock. There are several utilities that do
>>that, when you are connected to the internet. I use RocketTime on my
>>windows systemts:
>>
>>http://www.rocketsoftware.com/portfo...ttime/free.htm
>>
>>The link is to the free version, which should be adequate for personal
>>needs. By all means, if you are feeling flush, spend the money for the
>>paid version, its a great little tool.
>>
>>Lee

> And for those running Windows XP, it has Web clock sync built-in.

That only works if you are not on a network domain. As a stand alone
machine, it does work. For folks on a domain, there are any number of
shareware/freeware time synch programs out there.

Chris Mitchell

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Chris Mitchell wrote:
>
>> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
>> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
>> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might
>> be doing this.
>>
>> I run and maintain Norton Anti Virus, Zone Alarm freebie FireWall and
>> occasionally run Spybot.
>>
>> How is this possible, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
>>

> Computer clocks are annoying. Of the thousand dollars you probably spent
> on your system when it was new, maybe 2 dollars were for the clock. I'm
> probably being generous in that wild guess.
>
> Without regard to whether or not Moz is a part of the problem, the real
> answer is to synch your clock. There are several utilities that do
> that, when you are connected to the internet. I use RocketTime on my
> windows systemts:
>
> http://www.rocketsoftware.com/portfo...ttime/free.htm
>
> The link is to the free version, which should be adequate for personal
> needs. By all means, if you are feeling flush, spend the money for the
> paid version, its a great little tool.
>
> Lee

I am aware of this possibility, but I'm more concerned about possible
security breaches associated with this. I know that this isn't a
question of PC clock drifting out of synch over a period.

So the question remains how are some sites able to do this and how do I
plug that particular hole?

--
Regards.

Chris.
Please remove MAPSON (NOSPAM backwards) to reply to me by email.

James Moe

Chris Mitchell wrote:
> I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that when using Mozilla 1.6
> after a long browsing session the clock on my system has been set back
> an hour. Unfortunately I don't know the individual sites that might be
> doing this.

Keep better track of what you are doing. Really, that's the best way to
find the problem, if indeed it is something that is done by web scripting.
Periodically check the clock for sudden changes of time. Or a gradual lag.
This type of problem takes, er, time and patience to narrow down.
Other posters seem to indicate it is a Windows OS problem: it just gets
to busy to bother with updating the clock. Truly bizarre, if true; other
OSes have been keeping (more or less) good time since the '50s.

--
jim moe