Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Recommendation withdrawn for Symantec products

Recommendation withdrawn for Symantec products

Leythos

In article <Xns94956E972E131greenriverordinance@216.168.3.44> ,
> Quoth "Ian.H" <(E-Mail Removed)> in
> news(E-Mail Removed) v.net:
>

> > If you like poor performance, spam via shills, bloated software.. stupid
> > windoze XP style gfx.. norton is "great" (hah) I guess.

> The mistake people make is buying Norton's consumer-grade bloatware.
>
> Their Corporate antivirus product does a superb job, and has a very small
> footprint. I've found only one or two Win 98 machines where it has had any
> problem, and those have had to do with conflicts from poorly-written video
> drivers.

I've used the corporate edition and now the Small Business Edition with
Exchange filtering 8.1 on my servers. I've found that CE or SBE works
great and catches things that fprot and mcafee don't.

I also like how easy SBE is to setup on my exchange servers and that it
includes spam/RBL filters in the base package.

As for the home version, I only use NAV, not the NIS package.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Bill Levinson

B. Kildow wrote:

> Bill Levinson wrote:
>
>> I have been a strong advocate of Norton Internet Security but I can no
>> longer recommend this product due to (1) problems updating my virus
>> subscription and (2) problems with technical support.
>>
>> Norton Internet Security reminded me last week (Feb. 11) that I needed
>> to update my virus definition subscriptions. I went online and did so:
>>
>> Internet Order Number: [not posted here for security]
>> Order Date: 20040211
>> Customer Name: William Levinson
>> Product: Internet security subscription service
>> Quantity: 1
>> Price: USD 29.95
>> Estimated Tax: USD 0.00
>> Total Charge: USD 29.95
>>
>> I was then given a code to enter into Norton Internet Security, and a
>> warning that the code expired in two weeks. Upon following directions,
>> however, I found that Norton AntiVirus (the tab in the software) would
>> not open a window to allow me to enter the code.
>>
>> I had to wade through a very large number of windows to even be able to
>> E-mail Symantec a request for technical support. Although an answer was
>> supposed to be given in something like three business days, I have yet
>> to receive a reply to my request for help. I did warn Symantec in this
>> letter that I would tell my credit card company to deny payment for the
>> update if I was unable to install it.

> (snippage)
>
> My apologies for a stupid question, but have you tried the online
> support pages? Not the contact, just the support info base? I had the
> same problem with my step-dad-in-law's upgrade/install. I don't
> remember what all I had to do (it was XP--I've tried to block it all
> from my mind), but I did find the solution on their support pages. I
> would've checked to try to find you an answer, but didn't know what you
> were running.
>
> BK

Yes. As a matter of fact, they said that support for Norton Internet
Security 2002 has been discontinued. I could not even get into a
feedback page from that point.

--Bill

Morely Dotes

Colonel Flagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> yea, considering they're soooo secure... LOL. root exploit recently
> noted on Zonealarm products: http://secunia.com/advisories/10921/

["I told you so" warning!]

What have I always said about software "firewalls?"

--
Want SPEWS-filtered and SBL-filtered email?
http://www.spamblocked.com/index.html

Morely Dotes

donutbandit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c14cc6$s17$(E-Mail Removed):

> Norton.... Zone Alarm... my, how this group has fallen the past year.
> I remember when just mentioning that you run this crap would get you
> roasted to a crisp in here.

It's no longer worth the effort. When the crispy critter fails to learn,
we have to move on to the students with a capacity to benefit from
instruction.

--
Want SPEWS-filtered and SBL-filtered email?
http://www.spamblocked.com/index.html
"Mammals are far more intellectually advanced than most people think.
A gopher gave me the finger once." - Cynthia of Syracuse

Morely Dotes

Tom Betz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns94956E972E131greenriverordinance@216.168.3 .44:

> Their Corporate antivirus product does a superb job,

The *only* infection that ever got into LCHQ's network slid right by
Norton's "enterprise quality" anti-virus.

--
Want SPEWS-filtered and SBL-filtered email?
http://www.spamblocked.com/index.html
"Mammals are far more intellectually advanced than most people think.
A gopher gave me the finger once." - Cynthia of Syracuse

glgxg

Colonel Flagg wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)ldomain says...
>

>> I do not like
>>turning off ZoneAlarm.
>>

> yea, considering they're soooo secure... LOL. root exploit recently
> noted on Zonealarm products: http://secunia.com/advisories/10921/

And of course commercial grade firewall's & routers are never vulnerable
or have security problems right?

HTTP Parsing Vulnerabilities in Check Point Firewall-1
http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA04-036A.html

CERTŪ Advisory CA-2003-17 Exploit available for the Cisco IOS Interface

Cisco ONS 15000 Multiple Vulnerabilities
http://secunia.com/advisories/10933/

Linksys WAP55AG Exposure of SNMP Community Strings
http://secunia.com/advisories/10923/

Leythos

In article <Xns9495633424BE9morelydotesspamblock@216.99.211.2 47>,
(E-Mail Removed)lhost says...
> Tom Betz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns94956E972E131greenriverordinance@216.168.3 .44:
>
> > Their Corporate antivirus product does a superb job,

> The *only* infection that ever got into LCHQ's network slid right by
> Norton's "enterprise quality" anti-virus.

I'd be interested in knowing the specifics on that one.

What was the infection start point?
What was the infection?
What detected it?
What cleaned it?

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Tom Betz

Quoth Morely Dotes <(E-Mail Removed)> in
news:Xns9495633424BE9morelydotesspamblock@216.99.2 11.247:

> Tom Betz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns94956E972E131greenriverordinance@216.168.3 .44:
>
>> Their Corporate antivirus product does a superb job,

> The *only* infection that ever got into LCHQ's network slid right by
> Norton's "enterprise quality" anti-virus.

Did anything catch it that day?

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these

A Spirit

I agree with you 100% Bill !!!!!!!!!!!!

But I have a theory why Symantic does this, if everybody upgraded their subscriptions each year instead of buying the newer program versions they'd go broke. Better to add layers of complexity into the renewal process, hoping to deter customers from proceeding.

I experienced similar problems to you 12 months ago, and in the end I just had to console myself & be grateful that the financial loss wasn't a bigger one, and started searching for another anti-virus program. I finally settled on McAfee.

Good luck Bill
Charles

news:Xns9495B002D172Cgreenriverordinance@216.168.3 .44:

> Quoth Morely Dotes <(E-Mail Removed)> in
> news:Xns9495633424BE9morelydotesspamblock@216.99.2 11.247:
>
>> Tom Betz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:Xns94956E972E131greenriverordinance@216.168.3 .44:
>>
>>> Their Corporate antivirus product does a superb job,

>> The *only* infection that ever got into LCHQ's network slid right by
>> Norton's "enterprise quality" anti-virus.

> Did anything catch it that day?

Yep. It happened to be the day we were evaluating Sophos.

Norton was the replacement for CA. I still have nightmares...