Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Recommendation withdrawn for Symantec products

Recommendation withdrawn for Symantec products

donutbandit

Colonel Flagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> I'd also like to know how someone keeps installing components of a worm
>> on my hard drive despite my having the latest virus updates.
>>

> because Norton sucks.

Norton.... Zone Alarm... my, how this group has fallen the past year. I
remember when just mentioning that you run this crap would get you roasted
to a crisp in here.

Someone Else

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:32:25 +0000, Bill Levinson wrote:
>

>>I have been a strong advocate of Norton Internet Security but I can no
>>longer recommend this product due to (1) problems updating my virus
>>subscription and (2) problems with technical support.

> Bill: Try out F-prot (www.f-prot.com)
>
> $20/year for 5 machines at home and the updates don't stop working at the
> end fo the year, you just lose access to being able to download the latest
> version of the software.
>
> Frisk has been around a long time (pretty much invented heuristic
> scanning) and concentrates on writing AV software, not marketing it.

100% endorsement for f-prot. Absolutely the best record I've
heard of. But, you should get the DOS version:

1) Works from the DOS prompt. E.g., if you can't even get
windows to come up, you can still boot in pure DOS mode. It is
slower in pure DOS, but it runs.

2) Free for individual use.

3) Updated as regularly as the for-$ versions (as in constantly).

4) They actually answer email questions (e.g., 'Is this a false
alarm?'), even if you're using the free version. In my
experience, within 24 hours.

David

--
To make invalid valid, reverse the letters

R. Asby Dragon

wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> In article

<ZPaZb.12320$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,

> > I'd also like to know how someone keeps installing components of

a worm
> > on my hard drive despite my having the latest virus updates.
> >

> because Norton sucks.
>

> http://www.f-secure.com
> http://www.f-prot.com
> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

There are many $$ at the checkstand AV products with "higher
vacuum" than Norton; but why bother ??

Flagg's freebie list is good but add

It's also free; just not as well-known .

Roger Bryant

Thusly spoke the voices from beneath Bill Levinson's tin-foil hat on
2/19/2004 2:32 PM:

> --Bill
> http://www.stentorian.com/antispam/

I used to use Norton for the past 4 years (since I got my computer).
Very recently, when I did a reformat/reinstall of Windows, I decided to
try an alternative. Right now I'm using AVG 6 (available a grisoft.com)
and Kerio personal firewall. AVG is updated almost daily, and it picks
upp stuff that Norton never detected. Kerio is a different interface
from Norton, but has the same capabilities (and you can mention here
without getting flamed for plugging symantec). Oh, and they're both *free*.

--
Test, Jamie, Test.
Remove nospam. to email.

Ian.H

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:32:25 +0000, Bill Levinson wrote:

> I have been a strong advocate of Norton Internet Security but I can no
> longer recommend this product due to (1) problems updating my virus
> subscription and (2) problems with technical support.

If you like poor performance, spam via shills, bloated software.. stupid
windoze XP style gfx.. norton is "great" (hah) I guess.

For anyone even remotely serious about their box will just laugh at Norton
and move along on their merry way.

Regards,

Ian

--
Ian.H
digiServ Network

Ian.H

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:17:56 -0500, Colonel Flagg wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)ldomain says...
>

>> I do not like
>> turning off ZoneAlarm.

> yea, considering they're soooo secure... LOL. root exploit recently noted
> on Zonealarm products: http://secunia.com/advisories/10921/

ZA has known to be a joke application for some years now.. why people
still use it (you can actually use it?) is beyond me. Oh yeah, it's free..
and that seems to be all that some think about.

Regards,

Ian

--
Ian.H
digiServ Network

Ian.H

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:48:05 +0000, Someone Else wrote:

>> Bill: Try out F-prot (www.f-prot.com)
>>
>> $20/year for 5 machines at home and the updates don't stop working at
>> the end fo the year, you just lose access to being able to download the
>> latest version of the software.
>>
>> Frisk has been around a long time (pretty much invented heuristic
>> scanning) and concentrates on writing AV software, not marketing it.

> 100% endorsement for f-prot. Absolutely the best record I've heard of.

Agreed.. used here since I dropped Doc Solly's back on DOS sometime. Now
happily runs on my 2K box (when it's up and running) and both FreeBSD
boxes.

> But, you should get the DOS version:

No!

> 1) Works from the DOS prompt. E.g., if you can't even get windows to come
> up, you can still boot in pure DOS mode. It is slower in pure DOS, but it
> runs.

The DOS version won't handle NTFS partitions properly.

Last I checked, my 2K box didn't come with _any_ kind of "real DOS" at all.

> 2) Free for individual use.

DOS version only.

> 3) Updated as regularly as the for-$ versions (as in constantly).
>
> 4) They actually answer email questions (e.g., 'Is this a false alarm?'),
> even if you're using the free version. In my experience, within 24 hours.

And the founder can be contacted direct via Usenet too, which is great for
"live" info so to speak =)

If anyone's looking at getting it.. get the windoze version (assuming
you're aiming for a win box) as this comes with fpcmd.exe too, which
will scan NTFS partitions from the cmdline.

Regards,

Ian

--
Ian.H
digiServ Network

Ian.H

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:19:38 -0500, Colonel Flagg wrote:

> In article <ZPaZb.12320$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>

>> I'd also like to know how someone keeps installing components of a worm
>> on my hard drive despite my having the latest virus updates.
>>

> because Norton sucks.
>

> http://www.f-secure.com
> http://www.f-prot.com

> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

LOL! Contradiction?

"Norton sucks" and then you provide a grisoft link!?

That's like saying I'm anti-violence.. just before I sit down on the
detonator

But Norton is crap, yes.

Regards,

Ian

--
Ian.H
digiServ Network

Dick Cardy

"Bill Levinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZPaZb.12320$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> I have been a strong advocate of Norton Internet Security but I can no
> longer recommend this product due to (1) problems updating my virus
> subscription and (2) problems with technical support.

Bill

Try AVG.
I have stopped using NAV because I have seen 2 instances of a computer that
NAV
says is clean and the computers are infected

Dick

Tom Betz

Quoth "Ian.H" <(E-Mail Removed)> in
news(E-Mail Removed) v.net:

> If you like poor performance, spam via shills, bloated software.. stupid
> windoze XP style gfx.. norton is "great" (hah) I guess.

The mistake people make is buying Norton's consumer-grade bloatware.

Their Corporate antivirus product does a superb job, and has a very small
footprint. I've found only one or two Win 98 machines where it has had any
problem, and those have had to do with conflicts from poorly-written video
drivers.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these