Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Recover data from secure hard-disk

Recover data from secure hard-disk

Jase

Hi,

I recently reformatted my primary HD and reinstalled Windows XP on it.
Before I did this I backed up a lot of my data onto my second HD, which had
securities on it allowing only my old user access to it.

Since running my newly installed OS I've found that I can't get access to
the data. It now makes sense as it sees me a different user.

Anyway, how can I override the Windows XP securities in place on this HD and
access the data on my second hard-disk?

TIA

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Jase" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0vl85$1coq3g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi,
>
> I recently reformatted my primary HD and reinstalled Windows XP on it.
> Before I did this I backed up a lot of my data onto my second HD, which

had
> securities on it allowing only my old user access to it.
>
> Since running my newly installed OS I've found that I can't get access to
> the data. It now makes sense as it sees me a different user.
>
> Anyway, how can I override the Windows XP securities in place on this HD

and
> access the data on my second hard-disk?

If the security is just a file and folder ownership issue then this is
easily accomplished by "taking ownership" and resetting the permissions on
the files/folders.
See the Help and Support for "take ownership"

If however the folders have been secured using the EFS (Encrypting File
System) then unless you exported your certificates and keys (and/or the
recovery agents certs/keys - if you created one) then you will not be able
to access those file/folders regardless of permissions and ownership - since
you have lost the keys required to decrypt the data.

Finally Jase - as an IBM employee as your e-mail address implies - you might
as well just ring the internal help desk.
If you are not an IBM employee then you are using an e-mail address that may
belong to someone else and your inadvertent or deliberate (miss)use of this
in a public newsgroup could result in an increase in junk mail that person
may receive or in the case of IBM additional work for the junk mail filters.

--
Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Jase" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0vl85$1coq3g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi,
>
> I recently reformatted my primary HD and reinstalled Windows XP on it.
> Before I did this I backed up a lot of my data onto my second HD, which

had
> securities on it allowing only my old user access to it.
>
> Since running my newly installed OS I've found that I can't get access to
> the data. It now makes sense as it sees me a different user.
>
> Anyway, how can I override the Windows XP securities in place on this HD

and
> access the data on my second hard-disk?
>
> TIA

johns

As administrator .. under properties / security for the
old drive ( you may need to go to tools .. view ..
and uncheck "use simple sharing" to see security ),
check the box that tells the system to give admin
rights .. and override all child blah, blah, blah ..
that is all there is to it. MAKE SURE administrator
is included under security .. if not, add "administrator"
and then check the box to give full rights ... then do
the inherit thing.

johns