Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Surely Someone Knows?

Surely Someone Knows?

george

Hi All
I am not sure the exact nature of my problem, so hence posting it to few
newsgroups most likely to have the answers.
I am no longer able to click on IE6 and dial-up, it always says no
connection available. On my PC I have 3 dial up connections set up with
"dial when no connection present" selected. In the past, when I clicked on
IE6 it used to bring me the connection box with my default dial up selected
and then I would always click connect with no problems. I tried to re-set my
default as follows:
IE6 tools, internet options, connections, set as default, click apply and ok
buttons - after that, it automatically unselects the default connection and
I am left with the same problem. I always have latest Norton updates and
full system scans with Norton, Adaware and Spybot has not revealed any
threats - is there still a possibility of some virus or some bug? This is
driving me insane. Any ideas?
Thanks

Kurt Fredriksson

"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0soqq$lv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
> I am not sure the exact nature of my problem, so hence posting it to few
> newsgroups most likely to have the answers.
> I am no longer able to click on IE6 and dial-up, it always says no
> connection available. On my PC I have 3 dial up connections set up with
> "dial when no connection present" selected. In the past, when I clicked on
> IE6 it used to bring me the connection box with my default dial up

selected
> and then I would always click connect with no problems. I tried to re-set

my
> default as follows:
> IE6 tools, internet options, connections, set as default, click apply and

ok
> buttons - after that, it automatically unselects the default connection

and
> I am left with the same problem. I always have latest Norton updates and
> full system scans with Norton, Adaware and Spybot has not revealed any
> threats - is there still a possibility of some virus or some bug? This is
> driving me insane. Any ideas?

The only suggestion is to remove the accounts and add them again. I have
been
given this advice several times from my own ISP and it normally works.
There is something "funny" going on in the OS.

Kurt F

Roy S Schestowitz

I don't think this (resetting the accounts) would be sufficient in your
case. You might need to reinstall IE to get this sorted out (the alternative
being to fiddle with the registry)

Roy

"Kurt Fredriksson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0sq38$197mog$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c0soqq$lv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All
> > I am not sure the exact nature of my problem, so hence posting it to few
> > newsgroups most likely to have the answers.
> > I am no longer able to click on IE6 and dial-up, it always says no
> > connection available. On my PC I have 3 dial up connections set up with
> > "dial when no connection present" selected. In the past, when I clicked

on
> > IE6 it used to bring me the connection box with my default dial up

> selected
> > and then I would always click connect with no problems. I tried to

re-set
> my
> > default as follows:
> > IE6 tools, internet options, connections, set as default, click apply

and
> ok
> > buttons - after that, it automatically unselects the default connection

> and
> > I am left with the same problem. I always have latest Norton updates and
> > full system scans with Norton, Adaware and Spybot has not revealed any
> > threats - is there still a possibility of some virus or some bug? This

is
> > driving me insane. Any ideas?

> The only suggestion is to remove the accounts and add them again. I have
> been
> given this advice several times from my own ISP and it normally works.
> There is something "funny" going on in the OS.
>
> Kurt F

george

Thanks for your input, guys. Just setting up a new connection does not work,
and I have not yet tried re-installing IE6 - this seems a bit drastic. More
to the point, can anyone suggest what went wrong?

"Roy S Schestowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message news:c0sude$6k3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't think this (resetting the accounts) would be sufficient in your
> case. You might need to reinstall IE to get this sorted out (the

alternative
> being to fiddle with the registry)
>
> Roy
>
> "Kurt Fredriksson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c0sq38$197mog$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c0soqq$lv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi All
> > > I am not sure the exact nature of my problem, so hence posting it to

few
> > > newsgroups most likely to have the answers.
> > > I am no longer able to click on IE6 and dial-up, it always says no
> > > connection available. On my PC I have 3 dial up connections set up

with
> > > "dial when no connection present" selected. In the past, when I

clicked
> on
> > > IE6 it used to bring me the connection box with my default dial up

> > selected
> > > and then I would always click connect with no problems. I tried to

> re-set
> > my
> > > default as follows:
> > > IE6 tools, internet options, connections, set as default, click apply

> and
> > ok
> > > buttons - after that, it automatically unselects the default

connection
> > and
> > > I am left with the same problem. I always have latest Norton updates

and
> > > full system scans with Norton, Adaware and Spybot has not revealed any
> > > threats - is there still a possibility of some virus or some bug? This

> is
> > > driving me insane. Any ideas?

> > The only suggestion is to remove the accounts and add them again. I have
> > been
> > given this advice several times from my own ISP and it normally works.
> > There is something "funny" going on in the OS.
> >
> > Kurt F

Roy S Schestowitz

Window$ has its mysterious ways and you should never ask "why". Just purge
and reinstall. If you are curious, go download the source code which has now
leaked.

Roy

"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0t1qj$9s4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your input, guys. Just setting up a new connection does not

work,
> and I have not yet tried re-installing IE6 - this seems a bit drastic.

More
> to the point, can anyone suggest what went wrong?
>
> "Roy S Schestowitz"

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message news:c0sude$6k3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I don't think this (resetting the accounts) would be sufficient in your
> > case. You might need to reinstall IE to get this sorted out (the

> alternative
> > being to fiddle with the registry)
> >
> > Roy
> >
> > "Kurt Fredriksson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c0sq38$197mog$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:c0soqq$lv2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> few

> with

> clicked
> > on
> > > selected

> > re-set
> > > my

apply
> > and
> > > ok

> connection
> > > and

> and

any

This
> > is
> > >
> > > The only suggestion is to remove the accounts and add them again. I

have
> > > been
> > > given this advice several times from my own ISP and it normally works.
> > > There is something "funny" going on in the OS.
> > >
> > > Kurt F

george

Well, I tried evrything you hus suggested - deleting connections then
setting up new ones, re-installing IE6, downloading latest patches...What
the heck is going on??

wrote in message news:c0t25m$9at$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Window$ has its mysterious ways and you should never ask "why". Just purge
> and reinstall. If you are curious, go download the source code which has

now
> leaked.
>
> Roy
>

> "george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c0t1qj$9s4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for your input, guys. Just setting up a new connection does not

> work,
> > and I have not yet tried re-installing IE6 - this seems a bit drastic.

> More
> > to the point, can anyone suggest what went wrong?
> >
> > "Roy S Schestowitz"

> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote in message news:c0sude$6k3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I don't think this (resetting the accounts) would be sufficient in

your
> > > case. You might need to reinstall IE to get this sorted out (the

> > alternative
> > > being to fiddle with the registry)
> > >
> > > Roy
> > >
> > > "Kurt Fredriksson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:c0sq38$197mog$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> > few

> > with

> > clicked
> > > on
> > > re-set

> apply
> > > and

> > connection

updates
> > and

> any

> This
> > > is

> have

works.

Ralph A. Jones

What happens if you select "Always dial-up using my default connection"?

george wrote:

> Well, I tried evrything you hus suggested - deleting connections then
> setting up new ones, re-installing IE6, downloading latest patches...What
> the heck is going on??
>

> "Roy S Schestowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message news:c0t25m$9at$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Window$ has its mysterious ways and you should never ask "why". Just purge
>>and reinstall. If you are curious, go download the source code which has

> now
>
>>leaked.
>>
>>Roy
>>

>>"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:c0t1qj$9s4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Thanks for your input, guys. Just setting up a new connection does not

>>work,
>>
>>>and I have not yet tried re-installing IE6 - this seems a bit drastic.

>>More
>>
>>>to the point, can anyone suggest what went wrong?
>>>
>>>"Roy S Schestowitz"

>><(E-Mail Removed)>

> your

>>>alternative

>>>few

>>>with

>>>clicked

>>apply

>>>connection

> updates
>
>>>and

>>any

>>This

>>have

> works.

Mike Tittensor

I just posted a similar problem it has happened since I install a MS
'critical update' and I can no longer work offline nor syncronize because it
looks for a server which isn't there! I can only work with IE6 if I first
dailup with Outlook 2000

Mike
"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0soqq$lv2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
> I am not sure the exact nature of my problem, so hence posting it to few
> newsgroups most likely to have the answers.
> I am no longer able to click on IE6 and dial-up, it always says no
> connection available. On my PC I have 3 dial up connections set up with
> "dial when no connection present" selected. In the past, when I clicked on
> IE6 it used to bring me the connection box with my default dial up

selected
> and then I would always click connect with no problems. I tried to re-set

my
> default as follows:
> IE6 tools, internet options, connections, set as default, click apply and

ok
> buttons - after that, it automatically unselects the default connection

and
> I am left with the same problem. I always have latest Norton updates and
> full system scans with Norton, Adaware and Spybot has not revealed any
> threats - is there still a possibility of some virus or some bug? This is
> driving me insane. Any ideas?
> Thanks

Jim Watt

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:02:02 +0000 (UTC), "george"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All
>I am not sure the exact nature of my problem, so hence posting it to few
>newsgroups most likely to have the answers.
>I am no longer able to click on IE6 and dial-up, it always says no
>connection available. On my PC I have 3 dial up connections set up with
>"dial when no connection present" selected. In the past, when I clicked on
>IE6 it used to bring me the connection box with my default dial up selected
>and then I would always click connect with no problems. I tried to re-set my
>default as follows:
>IE6 tools, internet options, connections, set as default, click apply and ok
>buttons - after that, it automatically unselects the default connection and
>I am left with the same problem. I always have latest Norton updates and
>full system scans with Norton, Adaware and Spybot has not revealed any
>threats - is there still a possibility of some virus or some bug? This is
>driving me insane. Any ideas?
>Thanks

1. Get Spybot (search on Google)
2. Run it
3. Update it
4. Run it again
5. ignore anyone ignorant enough to top post

If you still have a problem ask again.
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

John

Are you running the Google toolbar?
This problem seems to have been caused by a google download re-skinning
your google toolbar for valentines day.

The browser can be corrected to open the dial up connection automatically by
either uninstalling the google toolbar or going into registry HKEY_CURRENT
_USER\Software\Google\NavClient.1\Promo where you will see the url for the
valentines day skin and a ref to a file ggext*.dll

I deleted this key and the file in C:\WNNT (or it may be in
C:\programs|google) and the browser is back to normal -so far!

This advice is posted elsewhere in USENET so seems to be a universal problem
down to Google

John S