Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Thinkpad T20 Supervisor Password

Thinkpad T20 Supervisor Password

Ian S.

"AstraVanMan" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UxuXb.5721$(E-Mail Removed)...

> It appears to be a common problem amongst the T-series Thinkpads, and it
> looks like even though the password wasn't ever requested before on entry

> the BIOS setup, it seems to automatically request it after the backup
> battery has been removed - not just in mine but many others it would seem.

I purchased a refurbished t22 last July and wonder if the same thing might
eventually happen to mine. I wonder if I could prevent that problem from
arising if I went ahead and set my own supervisor password. Anyone know the
answer?

Jim Watt

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:19:31 -0000, "AstraVanMan"
<****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> There are no methods in the book for removing the hard disk password
>> +if+ you have set one,

>I'd have to read it again, but I'm pretty sure that's what it said - maybe
>it just bypasses it temporarily.
>
>> If you have set a supervisor password, enter it and you can access
>> the machine.

>That's just the problem - I haven't set a supervisor password. I've entered
>the BIOS setup before, but since I took it apart to replace a few damaged
>bits (due to my own carelessness) and put it all back together (all with
>brand new screws and exactly as per the manual) it boots up with the error
>code relating to the date and time and then, I'm guessing, tries to go to
>the BIOS setup so the date and time settings can be set, but requests the
>password, which I do not know.

Well, I must admit I've been there and worked around it. However the
disk password is another thing and I still have a clients HD with a
password password set ... but one day it will be accessed again.

These days all thinkpads are repaired at a central facility in the UK
and it would be worth your while at least asking IBM

Certainly on desktops if you can access the machine you can clear
all CMOS passwords,

BTW does the HD come out easily? Have you tried starting the
system without that in? If its stored on the disk then a new disk
is cheap enough. I seem to recall breaking into a TP that way.

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

C Colon

"Ian S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<f8yXb.40844$QJ3.3877@fed1read04>...
> "AstraVanMan" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UxuXb.5721$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > It appears to be a common problem amongst the T-series Thinkpads, and it
> > looks like even though the password wasn't ever requested before on entry

> > the BIOS setup, it seems to automatically request it after the backup
> > battery has been removed - not just in mine but many others it would seem.

> I purchased a refurbished t22 last July and wonder if the same thing might
> eventually happen to mine. I wonder if I could prevent that problem from
> arising if I went ahead and set my own supervisor password. Anyone know the
> answer?

Just one word of caution though. If you use a method, that is not
"Approved"/ "Tested", and/or "Recommended" by the OEM, you might be in
trouble if you use the same, as they can always say you "Reverse
Engineered" their box. Be careful...

Regards
C:\>
Kindly post replies to the newsgroup itself

Jim Watt

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:26:25 -0700, "Ian S." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"AstraVanMan" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:UxuXb.5721$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> It appears to be a common problem amongst the T-series Thinkpads, and it
>> looks like even though the password wasn't ever requested before on entry

>> the BIOS setup, it seems to automatically request it after the backup
>> battery has been removed - not just in mine but many others it would seem.

>I purchased a refurbished t22 last July and wonder if the same thing might
>eventually happen to mine. I wonder if I could prevent that problem from
>arising if I went ahead and set my own supervisor password. Anyone know the
>answer?

That sounds like a good idea.

I have a feeling that the supervisor password is not actually stored
in the CMOS but haven't really researched it enough
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Jim Watt

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:20:52 -0000, "AstraVanMan"
<****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Clones UK in portsmouth told me last time I was visiting that they can
>> do it for a reasonable fee, mentioned 25quid or something similar.
>> Give them a call ,Its either Andy or Danny you need to speak to..

>That's who the guy who sold me the laptop recommended - I phoned them
>earlier on today but I'm guessing they only operate Monday-Friday. So far
>this looks like it's the nearest one to me.

Let us know how you get on with them as its a common enough problem
and a good solution is always welcome
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

ted.frater

heres the update on this one. Ive heard back from the most experienced
thinkpad dealers on the mailing list and theres no doubt about it. You
do not need to set a pass word before changing the cmos battery. All
those people that find themselves in that predicament have bought or
had set a supervisor pass word before changing the cmos battery. This
pass word is stored in the cmos and you can only get at it by Joe's
method . Hes in Australia. He only speciallises in cracking thinkpads so
dont try asking him to do anything else.
Google pass word cracking on thinkpads and youll find him. He does know
what he is doing.
Its a difficult process and involves building a pcb with components.
you have to follow his instructions exactly. If you dont youll screw up.

Jim Watt

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:59:43 +0000, "ted.frater"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>heres the update on this one. Ive heard back from the most experienced
>thinkpad dealers on the mailing list and theres no doubt about it. You
>do not need to set a pass word before changing the cmos battery. All
>those people that find themselves in that predicament have bought or
>had set a supervisor pass word before changing the cmos battery. This
>pass word is stored in the cmos and you can only get at it by Joe's
>method . Hes in Australia. He only speciallises in cracking thinkpads so
>dont try asking him to do anything else.
> Google pass word cracking on thinkpads and youll find him. He does know
>what he is doing.
>Its a difficult process and involves building a pcb with components.
>you have to follow his instructions exactly. If you dont youll screw up.

So you say; I sell thinkpads, I also repair them and remain
unconvinced..

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

JHEM

Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote:

> So you say; I sell thinkpads, I also repair them and remain
> unconvinced..

Ted is correct in principal, but flawed in one important detail.

The SPW isn't stored in CMOS, it's written to an EEPROM on the MB.

Joe's fix from down under works.

No, there's no way that a SPW just magically appears as the result of
removing the CMOS (RTC) battery, and I've fixed more Thinkpads that you and
Ted combined!

Regards,

James

AstraVanMan

> > So you say; I sell thinkpads, I also repair them and remain
> > unconvinced..

> Ted is correct in principal, but flawed in one important detail.
>
> The SPW isn't stored in CMOS, it's written to an EEPROM on the MB.
>
> Joe's fix from down under works.
>
> No, there's no way that a SPW just magically appears as the result of
> removing the CMOS (RTC) battery, and I've fixed more Thinkpads that you

and
> Ted combined!

Is there a possibility that it was present before, but just not activated,
and the removal of the CMOS battery reactivated it?

Because I've got into the BIOS setup before, and I definitely can't now.

Peter

ted.frater

Of course your right. What you said is in fact what i meant. I bow my
head in humble sevitude!!