Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > spoof WPA warning?

spoof WPA warning?

Tim Lister

I'm fairly new to the internet, certainly from a security standpoint
but over the year or so that I've been online I have learned a great
deal about the subject simply by lurking in this newsgroup as I feel
that you recieve a far broader introduction to network security than
could ever be provided by an "how to.." type of webpage!
I've only recently upgraded mu OS from W98 to XPhome & so am new to
the functioning of the Windows Product Activation. I activated my
current hardware set-up after a couple of weeks of use & it's now
comming up to about a month since my origional install of the new OS,
which would've been the deadline for activation had I not already done so.
Today I recieved an e-mail without any attachment that appeared to
origionate from http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) which was pretty much an exact copy
of the text from the webpage about piracy at microsofts website
suggesting that I had three days in which to activate my OS (which I'm
fairly sure that I've already done!)!
If I interpreted the headers properly, the mail origionated from a
domain in the Netherlands called alienware.com & contained two URL's to
which I've been directed in order to activate my software under threat
of my (legitamate)product key being labelled as a pirate's key! The URLs
are as follows:

https://register.windows.com/secure/activation/windows
<http://%6F%6E%2D%74%72%61%63%6B%73%2E%63%6F%6D/%69%6E%64%65%78%32%2E%68%74%6D>

Am I correct in believing that this is some sort of scam designed to
lead me to a website where some malicious trick is waiting for me or am
I being overly cautious? I'm slightly concerned due to the (presumably
fortuitous?) timing coinciding with the actual origional activation
deadline but surely the e-mail wouldn't have origionated from Holland if
genuine? If this isn't kosher, could any of the experts on this group
hazard a guess as to what sort of scam this is? I'm sorry to bother you
all if this is just me being a bit paranoid but as I said, I'm fairly
new to all of this internet security business but I find it all quite
fascinating & look forwards to learning more from you all as I take more
small steps to developing my knowledge of these matters!
Thank you all in advance, TJ

Colonel Flagg

In article <elBWb.4024$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I'm fairly new to the internet, certainly from a security standpoint
> but over the year or so that I've been online I have learned a great
> deal about the subject simply by lurking in this newsgroup as I feel
> that you recieve a far broader introduction to network security than
> could ever be provided by an "how to.." type of webpage!
> I've only recently upgraded mu OS from W98 to XPhome & so am new to
> the functioning of the Windows Product Activation. I activated my
> current hardware set-up after a couple of weeks of use & it's now
> comming up to about a month since my origional install of the new OS,
> which would've been the deadline for activation had I not already done so.
> Today I recieved an e-mail without any attachment that appeared to
> origionate from (E-Mail Removed) which was pretty much an exact copy
> of the text from the webpage about piracy at microsofts website
> suggesting that I had three days in which to activate my OS (which I'm
> fairly sure that I've already done!)!
> If I interpreted the headers properly, the mail origionated from a
> domain in the Netherlands called alienware.com & contained two URL's to
> which I've been directed in order to activate my software under threat
> of my (legitamate)product key being labelled as a pirate's key! The URLs
> are as follows:
>
> https://register.windows.com/secure/activation/windows
> <http://%6F%6E%2D%74%72%61%63%6B%73%2E%63%6F%6D/%69%6E%64%65%78%32%2E%68%74%6D>
>
> Am I correct in believing that this is some sort of scam designed to
> lead me to a website where some malicious trick is waiting for me or am
> I being overly cautious? I'm slightly concerned due to the (presumably
> fortuitous?) timing coinciding with the actual origional activation
> deadline but surely the e-mail wouldn't have origionated from Holland if
> genuine? If this isn't kosher, could any of the experts on this group
> hazard a guess as to what sort of scam this is? I'm sorry to bother you
> all if this is just me being a bit paranoid but as I said, I'm fairly
> new to all of this internet security business but I find it all quite
> fascinating & look forwards to learning more from you all as I take more
> small steps to developing my knowledge of these matters!
> Thank you all in advance, TJ

That would be a fair guess, considering the obfuscated URL goes to:

http://on-tracks.com/index2.htm

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/