Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Spybot Search And Destroy..

Spybot Search And Destroy..

R Green - WoWsat.com

Anyone else having the same "problem?" I run Spybot almost daily and have
noticed something strange... recently (as in two weeks ago), I've noticed
that each time I run Spybot Search & Destroy, it would give me a
"Congratulations, there are no immediate threats" message... I find this
strange, especially when I would *always* find at least 3-4 items that are
not kosher (ie. just harmless cookies installed)... Out of curiosity, I ran
Ad-aware immediately after running Spybot, and it gave me a slew of warnings
(which is normal). Then, I ran my Norton and it says that there's a MyDoom
virus under the Ad-aware directory.

Did anyone find a virus under your Ad-aware too? I'm sure I'm not the only
one...

--
R Green
Tech Support

johns

Neither of those programs will remove the dropper. Until
and unless they begin to include this capability, you are
just wasting your time running them. Of course they are
going to find the same stuff over and over, and miss a
lot of it too. You may have run across a part of the
dropper .. or one of its unpacks.

johns

R Green - WoWsat.com

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "dropper?"

--
R Green
Tech Support

"johns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0cdrl$i0q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neither of those programs will remove the dropper. Until
> and unless they begin to include this capability, you are
> just wasting your time running them. Of course they are
> going to find the same stuff over and over, and miss a
> lot of it too. You may have run across a part of the
> dropper .. or one of its unpacks.
>
> johns

johns

> Pardon my ignorance, but what's a "dropper?"

HOLY CAT! GUYS .. and this is a security group?
This crap that we get daily ... if you want to experience
first hand what a dropper is .. go out and find Bargain
Buddy and get it down on a computer that you don't
really care if it gets totally hacked. Make sure that
you reboot several times, and also leave it on the
network for a day or two while you do it !!!!
Notice how it gets slower and slower, and more
and more bullshit shows up on the start menu .. along
with IE homepage being hijacked to some search
site. Then run Spybot and AdAware ( 6.0 with latest
stuff ) over and over with rebooting .. and watch
the stinking crap keep showing up again and again
under Temp Internet Files .. and your homepage
.... and weird Services keep coming back. That is
because there is a Main package ( called a dropper )
that came down, and buried itself under Startup,
and in System32, and possibly under "Names"
directory .. and I've seen it in a 2nd Recycle Bin
...... you have to spot these things by searching for
recent downloads and files and manually deleting
them. Most of the time, you can actually locate
the little bastard, but sometimes the new versions
are really buried .... like in System Information
Folder .. which is where the Damn Danes are putting
their mp3 ftp servers. We really ought to discuss this
on this group more.

johns

George Mann

"R Green - WoWsat.com" <[news]@wowsat.com> wrote in

> Anyone else having the same "problem?" I run Spybot almost daily and
> have noticed something strange... recently (as in two weeks ago), I've
> noticed that each time I run Spybot Search & Destroy, it would give me
> a "Congratulations, there are no immediate threats" message... I find
> this strange, especially when I would *always* find at least 3-4 items
> that are not kosher (ie. just harmless cookies installed)... Out of
> curiosity, I ran Ad-aware immediately after running Spybot, and it
> gave me a slew of warnings (which is normal). Then, I ran my Norton
> and it says that there's a MyDoom virus under the Ad-aware directory.
>
> Did anyone find a virus under your Ad-aware too? I'm sure I'm not the
> only one...

I would get rid of both Norton and Ad-Aware! Reinstall Spybot and use
Antivir (www.free-av.com).

Zarggg

George Mann wrote on 17 Feb 04 03:11:
> "R Green - WoWsat.com" <[news]@wowsat.com> wrote in
>
>> Anyone else having the same "problem?" I run Spybot almost daily
>> and have noticed something strange... recently (as in two weeks
>> ago), I've noticed that each time I run Spybot Search & Destroy, it
>> would give me a "Congratulations, there are no immediate threats"
>> message... I find this strange, especially when I would *always*
>> find at least 3-4 items that are not kosher (ie. just harmless
>> cookies installed)... Out of curiosity, I ran Ad-aware immediately
>> after running Spybot, and it gave me a slew of warnings (which is
>> normal). Then, I ran my Norton and it says that there's a MyDoom
>> virus under the Ad-aware directory.
>>
>> Did anyone find a virus under your Ad-aware too? I'm sure I'm not
>> the only one...

> I would get rid of both Norton and Ad-Aware! Reinstall Spybot and use
> Antivir (www.free-av.com).

Get rid of Ad-Aware? Why ever would you do that? I always recommend the
use of *both* Ad-Aware *and* Spybot-S&D.
--
Zarggg
KeyID: 0xC00D540D

vb

"Zarggg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hIBYb.2082$(E-Mail Removed)...
> George Mann wrote on 17 Feb 04 03:11:
> > "R Green - WoWsat.com" <[news]@wowsat.com> wrote in
> >
> >> Anyone else having the same "problem?" I run Spybot almost daily
> >> and have noticed something strange... recently (as in two weeks
> >> ago), I've noticed that each time I run Spybot Search & Destroy, it
> >> would give me a "Congratulations, there are no immediate threats"
> >> message... I find this strange, especially when I would *always*
> >> find at least 3-4 items that are not kosher (ie. just harmless
> >> cookies installed)... Out of curiosity, I ran Ad-aware immediately
> >> after running Spybot, and it gave me a slew of warnings (which is
> >> normal). Then, I ran my Norton and it says that there's a MyDoom
> >> virus under the Ad-aware directory.
> >>
> >> Did anyone find a virus under your Ad-aware too? I'm sure I'm not
> >> the only one...

> > I would get rid of both Norton and Ad-Aware! Reinstall Spybot and use
> > Antivir (www.free-av.com).

> Get rid of Ad-Aware? Why ever would you do that? I always recommend the
> use of *both* Ad-Aware *and* Spybot-S&D.
> --
> Zarggg
> KeyID: 0xC00D540D
> <http://www.zarggg.net/>
> See <http://www.zarggg.net/contact.html> for contact information.

I agree, use both AdAware and Spybot together.

V.B.