Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Compressing and encrypting traffic (+)

Compressing and encrypting traffic (+)

Pavel Aronovich

The program IPTunnelManager is used for IP tunneling with the options for
compressing and encrypting traffic.

Thus, the program makes it possible to create a secure connection for any
application or service using TCP/IP. It is especially important for those
TCP/IP services and applications (for example, FTP, Telnet, various DBMS)
that transfer passwords openly when establishing a connection between a
client and a server. IPTunnelManager starts encrypting traffic from the
moment when a TCP/IP connection is established, that is why all data
transferred between a client and a server are encrypted. Besides,
IPTunnelManager protects transferred data from being changed by checking the
integrity of the transferred data using a 128-bit MAC algorithm.

Data compression provides a significant (not less than 3 times less)
decrease in the volume of data transferred via the network.

Read more here: http://www.apbsoft.com/products/iptu.../features.html

Hairy One Kenobi

"Pavel Aronovich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c034dn$104k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The program IPTunnelManager is used for IP tunneling with the options for
> compressing and encrypting traffic.

<snip>

> Data compression provides a significant (not less than 3 times less)
> decrease in the volume of data transferred via the network.

Hmm. What data was this measured on?

For interactive protocols & SSL (something that I've actually tested, with
TN3270), the 30% we gain in average compression[1] is pretty much lost by
the SSL encryption overhead, if you actually start counting packets and
packet size instead of looking at OS counters.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

[1] To be fair, the algorithm was chosen to minimise CPU overhead on a Java
client. Even so, I'd be surprised to see an average 75%-or-so compression
ratio. Come to think of it, I'd still be pretty surprised to see a
consistent average of 66% on a lossless system..

Pavel Aronovich

Hi.

> > Data compression provides a significant (not less than 3 times less)
> > decrease in the volume of data transferred via the network.

> Hmm. What data was this measured on?

MS SQL Server 2000.

With best regards,
Pavel Aronovich.

Hairy One Kenobi

"Pavel Aronovich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0584e$2ab1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> > > Data compression provides a significant (not less than 3 times less)
> > > decrease in the volume of data transferred via the network.

> > Hmm. What data was this measured on?

> MS SQL Server 2000.

Erm.. I'd call that an RDBMS, rather than data.

From the ratios quoted, I'd guess large text updates with a lot of
whitespace?

H1K