Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > JSP 440

JSP 440

JM

Hi

Can someone please point me in the appropriate direction for some JSP440
documentation?

I have googled, and all I get is small references to the manual but not the
manual.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

JM

Steve Firth

JM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can someone please point me in the appropriate direction for some JSP440
> documentation?

You won't find it in any public forum. Access is restricted to security
cleared individuals.

friendly advice in a flame-free environment.

Colonel Flagg

In article <1g8rfqk.13skm0621hr6hN%%steve%@malloc.co.uk>, usenet-
> JM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Can someone please point me in the appropriate direction for some JSP440
> > documentation?

> You won't find it in any public forum. Access is restricted to security
> cleared individuals.

since I have no clue what JSP440 is, and i haven't googled it (yet) to
find out.... it's rather scary (from a former naval crypto tech's point
of view) that someone that _doesn't_ know what it is, would be searching
(usenet none-the-less!) for information about it!

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

Steve Firth

Colonel Flagg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> it's rather scary (from a former naval crypto tech's point
> of view) that someone that _doesn't_ know what it is, would be searching
> (usenet none-the-less!) for information about it!

Following the usual MoD weirdness, the existence of JSP440 is not
classified and the index pages are unclassified and available on the
nertnet. The content is however classified and not for public use.

Any search for computer security will reveal the existence of the
document but that's as far as you get.

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 02:53:42 -0500, Colonel Flagg wrote:

> In article <1g8rfqk.13skm0621hr6hN%%steve%@malloc.co.uk>, usenet-
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> JM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Can someone please point me in the appropriate direction for some JSP440
>>> documentation?

>> You won't find it in any public forum. Access is restricted to security
>> cleared individuals.
>>

> since I have no clue what JSP440 is, and i haven't googled it (yet) to
> find out.... it's rather scary (from a former naval crypto tech's point
> of view) that someone that _doesn't_ know what it is, would be searching
> (usenet none-the-less!) for information about it!

An excellent medium to search, but it does make you wonder why someone is
searching for specific documentation on INFOSEC at this level instead of
directing their inquiry to their SO.
--
Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.
Joseph Campbell

JM

I have the relevant clearance, but am not actively engaged on any relevant
assignments at the moment.

JSP440, appears to be being discussed more in potential recruitment
noticfications, and as this particular document is new to me I am trying to
find it.

A google search throws up plenty of references to it, just not the
specification itself. Hence the request to Newsgroups.

I would not expect anyone to share classified information via this medium,
but I would also not expect my local military instalation to have copies of
it sitting in reception. So short on asking for help from appropriate
public places, I am at a bit of a loss.

Thanks for the comments thus far.

JM

Spider

What particular bit are you interested in, I'm sure if your reasons were
explained, at least an overview could be given by the custodian of the
document.

Regards
"JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c07n92$12uvte$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I have the relevant clearance, but am not actively engaged on any relevant
> assignments at the moment.
>
> JSP440, appears to be being discussed more in potential recruitment
> noticfications, and as this particular document is new to me I am trying

> find it.
>
> A google search throws up plenty of references to it, just not the
> specification itself. Hence the request to Newsgroups.
>
> I would not expect anyone to share classified information via this medium,
> but I would also not expect my local military instalation to have copies

of
> it sitting in reception. So short on asking for help from appropriate
> public places, I am at a bit of a loss.
>
> Thanks for the comments thus far.
>
> JM

JM

simply what is covered, who is the custodian, and classification,

which may help to explain why it is hard to find.

"Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c08l6c$hd9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What particular bit are you interested in, I'm sure if your reasons were
> explained, at least an overview could be given by the custodian of the
> document.
>
> Regards
> "JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c07n92$12uvte$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > I have the relevant clearance, but am not actively engaged on any

relevant
> > assignments at the moment.
> >
> > JSP440, appears to be being discussed more in potential recruitment
> > noticfications, and as this particular document is new to me I am trying

> > find it.
> >
> > A google search throws up plenty of references to it, just not the
> > specification itself. Hence the request to Newsgroups.
> >
> > I would not expect anyone to share classified information via this

medium,
> > but I would also not expect my local military instalation to have copies

> of
> > it sitting in reception. So short on asking for help from appropriate
> > public places, I am at a bit of a loss.
> >
> > Thanks for the comments thus far.
> >
> > JM

Simon Reed

This is going to sound facetious but ...

In article <c07n92$12uvte$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, JM
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I have the relevant clearance, but am not actively engaged on any relevant
>assignments at the moment.

There lies the problem. Protectively marked matter is only released on
a "need to know" basis. Having the clearance is not enough. If really
have the clearance then you should have had the corresponding training
and should know this.

When you say you have clearance - do YOU have the clearance or did you
work for an employer who had the clearance? Most likely the latter if
you never received any security procedure training. In that case, if
you are no longer working on the project requiring clearance, your
clearance has ceased. If the former, and you have changed employers
since you had the clearance, again your clearance has ceased. (That's
roughly how it works).

>JSP440, appears to be being discussed more in potential recruitment
>noticfications, and as this particular document is new to me I am trying to
>find it.

Once you need to see it, you will be entitled to do so. Bear in mind,
however, that JSPs can be multi-section documents. You will still only
be entitled to see the sections you need to see! (Or pages or
paragraphs as required).

Telling the recruitment bods you have had previous clearance should be
sufficient information for them.

If they are saying you must be familiar with the document to apply for a
job, then tough. That is the biggest headache the MoD has with
recruitment - finding people with experience.

Want a proper Catch-22? If you have security clearance, you're not
actually supposed to tell anyone.

>A google search throws up plenty of references to it, just not the
>specification itself.

I should hope not!

> Hence the request to Newsgroups.
>
>I would not expect anyone to share classified information via this medium,
>but I would also not expect my local military instalation to have copies of
>it sitting in reception. So short on asking for help from appropriate
>public places, I am at a bit of a loss.

If you think you have a need to know, then there will be a solution.
Note, however, it is not you that has to have the need. It is typically
your employer needing you to know.

--
Simon Reed, (E-Mail Removed)

Si

Simon Reed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> This is going to sound facetious but ...
>
> In article <c07n92$12uvte$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, JM
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >I have the relevant clearance, but am not actively engaged on any relevant
> >assignments at the moment.

> There lies the problem. Protectively marked matter is only released on
> a "need to know" basis. Having the clearance is not enough. If really
> have the clearance then you should have had the corresponding training
> and should know this.

And if you've done any work with the Forces you should already be
familiar with JSP440...

> Once you need to see it, you will be entitled to do so. Bear in mind,
> however, that JSPs can be multi-section documents. You will still only
> be entitled to see the sections you need to see! (Or pages or
> paragraphs as required).

Hmmmm... theory is good.

> Want a proper Catch-22? If you have security clearance, you're not
> actually supposed to tell anyone.

How about knowledge through inference? You could be in trouble