Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Who can be a Time Stamp Authority?

Who can be a Time Stamp Authority?

Mark Gifford

Hi

I've been googling like mad trying to find as much information as I can
about the authorities involved in digital time-stamping but I've not had
much luck and am probably as confused as I was before I started.

Some companies' web pages, such as Certum's at
http://www.certum.pl/english/eng/services/ts/ have statements saying they
are the first TSA in Europe. How do you become TSA in the first place i.e.
which other official authority is responsible for overseeing European TSAs,
or can any company claim to be a TSA - maybe if they satisfy the suggestions
in RFC3628 "Policy Requirements For TSAs"? Or is it that you publish a TSA
policy and your customers are satisfied with this (and therefore use your
service) that makes you a TSA?

Is there a list of "official" TSAs published somewhere?

If anyone can point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated.

Mark

Peter Gutmann

"Mark Gifford" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Hi

>Some companies' web pages, such as Certum's at
>http://www.certum.pl/english/eng/services/ts/ have statements saying they
>are the first TSA in Europe. How do you become TSA in the first place i.e.
>which other official authority is responsible for overseeing European TSAs,
>or can any company claim to be a TSA - maybe if they satisfy the suggestions
>in RFC3628 "Policy Requirements For TSAs"? Or is it that you publish a TSA
>policy and your customers are satisfied with this (and therefore use your
>service) that makes you a TSA?

It's even simpler than that, it works a bit like the Universal Life Church
(anyone's accepted), all you need to do is publish a web page telling people
you're a TSA.

(Hmm, I wonder if you could get the ULC to ordain you as a TSA? I guess it'd
work, your God would be PKI, X.509 as the sacred scriptures, etc etc.
There's certainly enough dogma there to qualify it as a religion).

Peter.

sponge

On 4 Feb 2004 15:56:58 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Peter Gutmann) wrote:

>"Mark Gifford" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>Hi

>>Some companies' web pages, such as Certum's at
>>http://www.certum.pl/english/eng/services/ts/ have statements saying they
>>are the first TSA in Europe. How do you become TSA in the first place i.e.
>>which other official authority is responsible for overseeing European TSAs,
>>or can any company claim to be a TSA - maybe if they satisfy the suggestions
>>in RFC3628 "Policy Requirements For TSAs"? Or is it that you publish a TSA
>>policy and your customers are satisfied with this (and therefore use your
>>service) that makes you a TSA?

>It's even simpler than that, it works a bit like the Universal Life Church
>(anyone's accepted), all you need to do is publish a web page telling people
>you're a TSA.
>
>(Hmm, I wonder if you could get the ULC to ordain you as a TSA? I guess it'd
> work, your God would be PKI, X.509 as the sacred scriptures, etc etc.
> There's certainly enough dogma there to qualify it as a religion).
>
>Peter.

It helps to have an atomic clock.

Sponge
Sponge's Secure Solutions
www.geocities.com/yosponge
My new email: yosponge2 att yahoo dott com

Peter Gutmann

(E-Mail Removed) (sponge) writes:
>On 4 Feb 2004 15:56:58 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Peter Gutmann) wrote:
>>"Mark Gifford" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>>Some companies' web pages, such as Certum's at
>>>http://www.certum.pl/english/eng/services/ts/ have statements saying they
>>>are the first TSA in Europe. How do you become TSA in the first place i.e.
>>>which other official authority is responsible for overseeing European TSAs,
>>>or can any company claim to be a TSA - maybe if they satisfy the suggestions
>>>in RFC3628 "Policy Requirements For TSAs"? Or is it that you publish a TSA
>>>policy and your customers are satisfied with this (and therefore use your
>>>service) that makes you a TSA?

>>It's even simpler than that, it works a bit like the Universal Life Church
>>(anyone's accepted), all you need to do is publish a web page telling people
>>you're a TSA.

>It helps to have an atomic clock.

Not really. You could run without any clock at all as long as you report the
accuracy correctly. For example I could run one accurate to within one
calendar day without the use of a clock, and rely on sequence numbers for
ordering. Even if you need an accurate time source, a GPS or NIST/<whatever
your local time source is> receiver will do just as well.

Peter.

zenner

The great equalizer is, no one will "sync" with an inaccurate clock. The
biggest issue is not getting people to sync with an accurate clock, but to
prevent overuse or continuous sync.

"sponge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
: On 4 Feb 2004 15:56:58 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Peter Gutmann)
wrote:
:
: >"Mark Gifford" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
: >
: >>Hi
: >
[...]

---

Jim Watt

On 4 Feb 2004 18:15:35 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (sponge) wrote:

>It helps to have an atomic clock.

Not really, my time is accurate enough without that sort of
trouble, and you need to change the bulb every so often
as the caesium is consumed..

The accuracy of my clock exceeds the ability of a computer
clock to track it.

If you are interested in the art of timekeeping, take a look at
the following sites dedicated to it.

http://www.leapsecond.com
http://www.clockvault.com/

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Peter Gutmann

"zenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>The great equalizer is, no one will "sync" with an inaccurate clock. The
>biggest issue is not getting people to sync with an accurate clock, but to
>prevent overuse or continuous sync.

If all you're interested in is serialisation (proving that event A happened
before event B), which is very often the case, you can sync with a stopped
clock because you've still got the serial number to work from. That's what I
meant in my previous post when I said I could run a TSA with a calendar.

Peter.

Time stamp problem Zean Smith ASP .Net 0 02-07-2006 03:19 PM
Saving time stamp for replied to email? Keith Firefox 4 01-17-2006 07:03 PM
Modifying a file's time stamp ladygrinningsoul Perl 1 12-06-2004 02:36 AM
Can Windows file time stamp be changed to shooting time? Gustav Digital Photography 8 07-31-2004 10:11 PM
Date/Time stamp in SQL =?Utf-8?B?QmVydA==?= ASP .Net 2 01-30-2004 04:47 PM

Advertisments