Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Monitor

Monitor

Senturon

Hello, not sure if i am going to be using the correct termanology, so if i
do not, please don't hit me. I was wondering if there was a program out
there (preferably freeware) that does a good job of sniffing various ports
that some outside user would be 'listening' to or more importantly 'acting'
through. In other words, letting me know if i am the only one attuned to my
computers actions, perhaps constantly running in the background and if such
a 'breach' does take place, lets me know about it. I suppose the actual
preventing of that (if there is one) will come later, but i would just like
to know if it is happening. I could describe my situation in more detail,
but as i dont want to bore you all, i'll leave it at that. Thanks for any
help in advance, it is greatly appreciated.

~Senturon

Hairy One Kenobi

"Senturon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, not sure if i am going to be using the correct termanology, so if i
> do not, please don't hit me. I was wondering if there was a program

out
> there (preferably freeware) that does a good job of sniffing various ports
> that some outside user would be 'listening' to or more importantly

'acting'
> through. In other words, letting me know if i am the only one attuned to

my
> computers actions, perhaps constantly running in the background and if

such
> a 'breach' does take place, lets me know about it. I suppose the actual
> preventing of that (if there is one) will come later, but i would just

like
> to know if it is happening. I could describe my situation in more detail,
> but as i dont want to bore you all, i'll leave it at that. Thanks for any
> help in advance, it is greatly appreciated.

netstat (may not be available on your version of Windows - hard to tell from
the headers). If not, then TCPview from (IIRC) sysinternals.com.

Both require some knowledge to interpret.

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Chuck

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:51:04 -0000, "Hairy One Kenobi"
<abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>"Senturon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello, not sure if i am going to be using the correct termanology, so if i
>> do not, please don't hit me. I was wondering if there was a program

>out
>> there (preferably freeware) that does a good job of sniffing various ports
>> that some outside user would be 'listening' to or more importantly

>'acting'
>> through. In other words, letting me know if i am the only one attuned to

>my
>> computers actions, perhaps constantly running in the background and if

>such
>> a 'breach' does take place, lets me know about it. I suppose the actual
>> preventing of that (if there is one) will come later, but i would just

>like
>> to know if it is happening. I could describe my situation in more detail,
>> but as i dont want to bore you all, i'll leave it at that. Thanks for any
>> help in advance, it is greatly appreciated.

>netstat (may not be available on your version of Windows - hard to tell from
>the headers). If not, then TCPview from (IIRC) sysinternals.com.
>
>Both require some knowledge to interpret.

TCPView (free) from <http://www.sysinternals.com/> is OK. Port
Explorer (also free) from
<http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/index.php?page=home> is
better.