Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Spyware/adware and Internet Explorer

Spyware/adware and Internet Explorer

John

Is it true that spyware/adware only affects Internet Explorer?
I've been told to use another browser (eg. Opera) because when
browsing with that, no spyware/adware gets installed on my PC.
True or false?

Steven Burn

No, it's not true. Ad/spyware affects 99% of browsers, not just IE.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvnunf$u808n$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Is it true that spyware/adware only affects Internet Explorer?
> I've been told to use another browser (eg. Opera) because when
> browsing with that, no spyware/adware gets installed on my PC.
> True or false?

Frode

John

Steven Burn wrote:

> Ad/spyware affects 99% of browsers, not just IE.

Which browsers make up the 1% then (seriously) ?
I'm tired of having to use Spybot and such apps.

Steven Burn

AFAIK OffbyOne is the only browser that spyware/adware doesn't affect (I've
never tried it myself).

However, I'd still strongly reccomend that you use Spybot, regardless of
which browser you use.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvo2qh$u5ljr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Steven Burn wrote:
>
> > Ad/spyware affects 99% of browsers, not just IE.

> Which browsers make up the 1% then (seriously) ?
> I'm tired of having to use Spybot and such apps.

CalamityKen

Steven Burn wrote:
> AFAIK OffbyOne is the only browser that spyware/adware doesn't affect
> (I've never tried it myself).
>
> However, I'd still strongly reccomend that you use Spybot, regardless
> of which browser you use.

The only way one can be 100% safe is to never use any browser nor connect to
the Internet.

I use a layered defence mechanism because the exploiters multiply faster
than cockroaches.

1. A comprehensive ad and hijack blocking HOSTS file that is well
maintained.
(works independent of browser)
http://webpages.charter.net/hpguru/hosts/hosts.html

2. The frequently updated IE-SPYAD
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#IESPYAD

3. The frequently updated SpywareBlaster
(works independent of browser I believe)

4. WinPatrol for its great monitoring functions
(works independent of browser)
http://www.winpatrol.com

> John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bvo2qh$u5ljr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> Steven Burn wrote:
>>
>>> Ad/spyware affects 99% of browsers, not just IE.

>> Which browsers make up the 1% then (seriously) ?
>> I'm tired of having to use Spybot and such apps.

Frode

Steven Burn

CalamityKen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yLMTb.6089$(E-Mail Removed).. .
<snip>
> The only way one can be 100% safe is to never use any browser nor connect

> the Internet.

<snip>

Sad...... but true

<snip>
> I use a layered defence mechanism because the exploiters multiply faster
> than cockroaches.
>
> 1. A comprehensive ad and hijack blocking HOSTS file that is well
> maintained.
> (works independent of browser)
> http://webpages.charter.net/hpguru/hosts/hosts.html
>
> 2. The frequently updated IE-SPYAD
> http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#IESPYAD

</snip>

I keep meaning to check IE-SPYAD out, just never seem to find the time. (

<snip>
> 3. The frequently updated SpywareBlaster
> (works independent of browser I believe)
>
> 4. WinPatrol for its great monitoring functions
> (works independent of browser)
> http://www.winpatrol.com

</snip>

Excellent choice )

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Jay Jay

In article <bvo366$u9n1o$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, services@it-
mate.co.uk says...
> AFAIK OffbyOne is the only browser that spyware/adware doesn't affect (I've
> never tried it myself).
>
> However, I'd still strongly reccomend that you use Spybot, regardless of
> which browser you use.

Excusez-moi le mot, but this is *******s. Why would OffbyOne be any
different? Could it be the miracle browser we've all been waiting for? I
don't think so.

Let's explain it this way:

The internet can be a very nasty place (just like the real world). Your
browser is a "doorway" to the internet. People with the silly habit of
breaking in can do so if you are unprotected. So please lock your door
with a firewall, antivirus and spyware cleaner (all can be found for
free on the net).

So a browser by itself doesn't give much protection. However compared to
other browsers, Internet Explorer isn't a "doorway" but a huge lockless
gate inviting everyone in for a free party.

PS: Please don't top-post:
http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

Steven Burn

Jay Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <bvo366$u9n1o$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, services@it-
> mate.co.uk says...
> > AFAIK OffbyOne is the only browser that spyware/adware doesn't affect

(I've
> > never tried it myself).
> >
> > However, I'd still strongly reccomend that you use Spybot, regardless of
> > which browser you use.

> Excusez-moi le mot, but this is *******s. Why would OffbyOne be any
> different? Could it be the miracle browser we've all been waiting for? I
> don't think so.

</snip>

As I said...... as far as I know. I've not checked ObO, so couldn't say
whether it's true or not.

--
Regards

Steven Burn