Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Spyware/adware and Internet Explorer

Spyware/adware and Internet Explorer

Ben Measures

Jim Watt wrote:
> Indeed the free version of Opera is advertisment supported,
> from their website
>
> "Advertise in Opera - A Great Offer Advertise to more than 6.2 million
> Opera users. Reach a premium audience for as low as $250.
> Geo targeting, and online reporting provided on CPC and CPM
> advertising."
>
> I'm not saying that advertisment supported software is wrong,
> but its not to my taste.

You can choose whether or not you want "targetted" advertisements in
Opera. By default the option is not to monitor your access.

--
Ben M.

----------------
What are Software Patents for?

What do Software Patents do?
big legal departments as they:
years of harassment).

before its too late.

----------------

B.J.Honeycut

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 06:07:38 GMT,Ben Measures
<(E-Mail Removed)> penned this whopper in
news:K4lUb.6124$%(E-Mail Removed):

> Jim Watt wrote:
>> Indeed the free version of Opera is advertisment supported,
>> from their website
>>
>> "Advertise in Opera - A Great Offer Advertise to more than 6.2 million
>> Opera users. Reach a premium audience for as low as $250.
>> Geo targeting, and online reporting provided on CPC and CPM
>> advertising."
>>
>> I'm not saying that advertisment supported software is wrong,
>> but its not to my taste.

> You can choose whether or not you want "targetted" advertisements in
> Opera. By default the option is not to monitor your access.

It has never targeted me, and I can tell, just trust me there. BTW, Opera
without the ads is free to schools and non-profits, and maybe Govt. orgs
too.

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."

Mike

Ant

"donutbandit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...

> Off By One looked like it had a lot of potential. However, it's been
> abandoned since December 2002.

It's actually a demo to show the capabilities of Home Page Software's
ActiveX web browser control. http://homepagesw.com/

> What HTML engine does it use? I would say that something so small is
> probably using the IE engine. And doesn't that put us right back where
> we started from?

They say it has no dependencies on any other browser or browser
component. I profiled OB1 during a browsing session. It didn't make
any calls to what I would recognize as IE dlls such as mshtml.dll.

I think it's pretty safe. It doesn't run scripts or plugins.

Lex

CalamityKen wrote:

> Already been fixed!
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/ms04-004.asp

Well, these haven't been :
http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Ad...D20040210.html
Reported JULY of last year! Almost 6 months.
http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Ad...0040210-2.html
Reported September of last year.
Neither of these are minor annoyances, they are both remotely
exploitable and and allow arbitrary code execution.

WAKE UP people! Don't drink the cool aid!