Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Need advice on protecting a shared folder

Need advice on protecting a shared folder

Steve Smith

I want to share a folder containing Quick Books data on my office network. I want this folder to be safe from my Internet connection. I have two Windows XP computers on a peer to peer TCP network connected to a router connected to a DSL connection. I will be using a password on the shared folder and each computer is using the Windows firewall. My router uses NAT and the router access is password protected.

Will the data in my shared folder be relatively safe from snoopers, etc on the Internet, or should I do more to protect it?

Thanks,
Steve Smith

Disable Netbios over TCP/IP in your NIC settings

"Steve Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news7cTb.5965$gl2.3695@lakeread05...
I want to share a folder containing Quick Books data on my office network. I
want this folder to be safe from my Internet connection. I have two Windows
XP computers on a peer to peer TCP network connected to a router connected
to a DSL connection. I will be using a password on the shared folder and
each computer is using the Windows firewall. My router uses NAT and the
router access is password protected.

Will the data in my shared folder be relatively safe from snoopers, etc on
the Internet, or should I do more to protect it?

Thanks,
Steve Smith

elcre

Are you able to add access lists in your router ?
you could deny all in/outbound netbios traffic over the router so all
internal netbios runs smoothly without anyone snooping in on your
connections
If your router is sophisticated enough, you could even setup an access list
that only allows the traffic you want to leave/enter your network

if all above is impossible, try installing some firewall soft that allows
you to specify trusted hosts so you can allow the lan pc's to connect, and
deny everything else

...::elcre::..

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8diTb.60$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Disable Netbios over TCP/IP in your NIC settings
>

> "Steve Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news7cTb.5965$gl2.3695@lakeread05...
> I want to share a folder containing Quick Books data on my office network.

> want this folder to be safe from my Internet connection. I have two

Windows
> XP computers on a peer to peer TCP network connected to a router connected
> to a DSL connection. I will be using a password on the shared folder and
> each computer is using the Windows firewall. My router uses NAT and the
> router access is password protected.
>
> Will the data in my shared folder be relatively safe from snoopers, etc on
> the Internet, or should I do more to protect it?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Smith

IPGrunt

"Steve Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> seems to think in
news7cTb.5965$gl2.3695@lakeread05:

> I want to share a folder containing Quick Books data on my office
> network. I want this folder to be safe from my Internet connection. I
> have two Windows XP computers on a peer to peer TCP network connected
> to a router connected to a DSL connection. I will be using a password
> on the shared folder and each computer is using the Windows firewall.
> My router uses NAT and the router access is password protected.
>
> Will the data in my shared folder be relatively safe from snoopers,
> etc on the Internet, or should I do more to protect it?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Smith

Steve,

If you use NAT and the computers on your local network have private, un-
routable IP addresses (ie, 192.168.X.X, or 10.X.X.X type IP addresses),
then you are relatively save from most hack attempts.

If you can configure your firewall to block tcp ports 135, 137, and 139,
then your Windows shared folders are safe within the bounds of your network
(as another poster suggested when he said to disable netbios at the
router).

Your idea to use passwords on the shared folder is also a good one.

--
-- ipgrunt

password protecting a folder don HTML 33 01-16-2010 06:38 AM
fix folder picture in a shared folder across network Talista Computer Support 1 01-23-2009 07:53 PM
SOLVED - windows xp rename folder within shared folder, notrefreshing window jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk Computer Information 0 07-30-2008 06:33 PM
Need help protecting data Diego Bernardes Ruby 5 03-14-2008 03:38 AM
Password Protecting a Folder on UNIX-based Website netsurfer Javascript 3 03-21-2005 01:38 PM

Advertisments