Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Discover ip addres of a msn user?

Discover ip addres of a msn user?

Roaming Penguin

Does anyone know how to discover the ip of a msn user which you are
having a conversation with?

I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the person
send you or accept a file.

jonny

Ask them, ,,,!!!!!!!!!1,,,,,,,,,I think that people are entitled to there
privacy.
If its a conversation you dont want then log off..

..Jonny

*Vanguard*

"Roaming Penguin" said in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> Does anyone know how to discover the ip of a msn user which you are
> having a conversation with?
>
> I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the person
> send you or accept a file.

MSN uses Hotmail. Hotmail is NOT an anonymous webmail service. Look at the
headers. You will find an "X-Originating-IP:" header which has the IP
address of the host that connected to it that requested the e-mail get sent
from Hotmail. I believe Yahoo might also insert this header. I remember a
self-professed anonymous webmail service but then found it added a header
with the sender host's IP address in the headers (plus if you read the terms
of service then you actually agreed to get spammed by this a-hole bogus
anonymous webmail service).

Simply check the headers to see what the sender inserted and what the
sending mail server inserted.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Roaming Penguin

I knew that much. I was asking because once someone was harrassing me
via MSN, and I couldn't stop the spamming. Sending me constant
messages, I wanted the IP address blocked from my LAN, but could not
find how to obtain it.

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:32:57 -0600, "*Vanguard*" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Roaming Penguin" said in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>> Does anyone know how to discover the ip of a msn user which you are
>> having a conversation with?
>>
>> I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the person
>> send you or accept a file.

>MSN uses Hotmail. Hotmail is NOT an anonymous webmail service. Look at the
>headers. You will find an "X-Originating-IP:" header which has the IP
>address of the host that connected to it that requested the e-mail get sent
>from Hotmail. I believe Yahoo might also insert this header. I remember a
>self-professed anonymous webmail service but then found it added a header
>with the sender host's IP address in the headers (plus if you read the terms
>of service then you actually agreed to get spammed by this a-hole bogus
>anonymous webmail service).
>
>Simply check the headers to see what the sender inserted and what the
>sending mail server inserted.

*Vanguard*

"Roaming Penguin" said in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> I knew that much. I was asking because once someone was harrassing me
> via MSN, and I couldn't stop the spamming. Sending me constant
> messages, I wanted the IP address blocked from my LAN, but could not
> find how to obtain it.
>
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:32:57 -0600, "*Vanguard*" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> "Roaming Penguin" said in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>> Does anyone know how to discover the ip of a msn user which you are
>>> having a conversation with?
>>>
>>> I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the
>>> person send you or accept a file.

>> MSN uses Hotmail. Hotmail is NOT an anonymous webmail service.
>> Look at the headers. You will find an "X-Originating-IP:" header
>> which has the IP address of the host that connected to it that
>> requested the e-mail get sent from Hotmail. I believe Yahoo might
>> also insert this header. I remember a self-professed anonymous
>> webmail service but then found it added a header with the sender
>> host's IP address in the headers (plus if you read the terms of
>> service then you actually agreed to get spammed by this a-hole bogus
>> anonymous webmail service).
>>
>> Simply check the headers to see what the sender inserted and what the
>> sending mail server inserted.

If you block by IP address then you would end up having to block Hotmail's
mail server from connecting to you. However, that would eliminate all
e-mails from Hotmail.

If you just want to block this one sender then use a rule that checks for
delete that message. Instead of waiting until you run your e-mail client to
run its rule (after, however, downloading the e-mail), you could use Magic
Mail Monitor which is an e-mail monitor utility but includes rules (or
filters). You could define a filter that searches for "X-Originating-IP:
xx.xx.xx.xx" in the headers, and then configure that filter to delete the
message from the mail server. The monitor only downloads the headers to
check for new e-mails. The filter would delete any e-mails from the abusive
sender at that IP address. You would never get notified in the monitor
utility that the e-mail even arrived (although you can check the
deletemessage.log). And you don't have to waste the time and bandwidth to
download that abusive e-mail into your e-mail client.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Beachcomber

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 02:19:02 -0600, "*Vanguard*" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Roaming Penguin" said in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>> I knew that much. I was asking because once someone was harrassing me
>> via MSN, and I couldn't stop the spamming. Sending me constant
>> messages, I wanted the IP address blocked from my LAN, but could not
>> find how to obtain it.
>>
>> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:32:57 -0600, "*Vanguard*" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "Roaming Penguin" said in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> MSN uses Hotmail. Hotmail is NOT an anonymous webmail service.
>>> Look at the headers. You will find an "X-Originating-IP:" header
>>> which has the IP address of the host that connected to it that
>>> requested the e-mail get sent from Hotmail. I believe Yahoo might
>>> also insert this header. I remember a self-professed anonymous
>>> webmail service but then found it added a header with the sender
>>> host's IP address in the headers (plus if you read the terms of
>>> service then you actually agreed to get spammed by this a-hole bogus
>>> anonymous webmail service).

Correct. This works for Yahoo Mail too. Instead of Hotmail's
X-Originating-IP, I found my IP in this line of an expanded header for
Yahoo Mail:

Beachcomber

Roaming Penguin

But the question was more or less, how can you get their address
without actually emailing, if you are just chatting over MSN, or
having a direct MSN 6.1 conversation with someone, and you would like
to obtain their ip address.

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:11:39 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Beachcomber)
wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 02:19:02 -0600, "*Vanguard*" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>"Roaming Penguin" said in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>> I knew that much. I was asking because once someone was harrassing me
>>> via MSN, and I couldn't stop the spamming. Sending me constant
>>> messages, I wanted the IP address blocked from my LAN, but could not
>>> find how to obtain it.

>Correct. This works for Yahoo Mail too. Instead of Hotmail's
>X-Originating-IP, I found my IP in this line of an expanded header for
>Yahoo Mail:

>Beachcomber

StacyB

I've never used MSN, but perhaps a 'netstat' would show the target IP
Address. If not, then perhaps a packet sniffer like winpcap.

"Roaming Penguin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> But the question was more or less, how can you get their address
> without actually emailing, if you are just chatting over MSN, or
> having a direct MSN 6.1 conversation with someone, and you would like
> to obtain their ip address.
>
> On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 15:11:39 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Beachcomber)
> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 02:19:02 -0600, "*Vanguard*" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>"Roaming Penguin" said in
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> >Correct. This works for Yahoo Mail too. Instead of Hotmail's
> >X-Originating-IP, I found my IP in this line of an expanded header for
> >Yahoo Mail:

> >Beachcomber

Gladys Pump

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 04:18:33 -0500, in newsfroup alt.computer.security,
Roaming Penguin <(E-Mail Removed)> articulated the following
sentiments :

>Does anyone know how to discover the ip of a msn user which you are
>having a conversation with?
>
>I know that it is easy to get the ip if you manage to make the person
>send you or accept a file.

I think you've answered your own question. In ICQ for example, initiating a
file transfer with someone will switch you over from connecting to them via
the ICQ servers, to their machine directly.

As someone said in this thread already, you could use a sniffer, but I think
the only ways would be during file transfers, with the aid of netstat, or
TCPView (http://www.sysinternals.com), or again as has already been
mentioned, via the headers in an email if they use that method.

You can block people from seeing you and contacting you online can't you ?
Unless they have some 'toolz' to bypass this, they shouldn't be able to
reach you.

What do you want the IP address for ? Reporting abuse ? If you're planning a
revenge attack on their computer, I would advise you not to do this as you
could end up being the one in trouble.

Regs,

Pete.

test

In MS IM you can block the user from sending you IM's.

Just highligh the user in your list, press delete and you will be asked "Do
you want to BLOCK this user. tick the box and there you have it. No more
IM's from that user.

If you have delete the user previously, without blocking. Go to options,
then click privicy and re-block the user.

It's that simple.

KS